PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Ultimo] Matroska problem

markom80
30-12-13, 19:08
This is some sort continuation for this http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33415-Possible-memory-leak

I still have this issue with matroska files. I don't even have to stream matroska from network, even playing from local hard disc can jam box after while.

I tried to observe possible cause but i didn't have any idea where but i took some screenshots via telnet and media infomation of played file.

At this point movie started to keep stopping

Tried to press stop button many times and box jammed.

Details of matroska. Bitrate on file is quite high about 25Mb/s to 45Mb/s

Larry-G
30-12-13, 19:12
There is no memory leak on the Ultimo or any other receiver bar the Vu+ Duo, MKV and AVI for that matter are not a format in it self but a container, you must ensure the video file contained within is encoded properly for it to play on any STB as video playback is handled by hardware not software codecs.

markom80
30-12-13, 19:22
I didn't say that there is memory leak just tried to say that i still have this issue. I forgot to mention that if i'm able to stop movie and after enigma2 restart (not the entire box) i can continue to play file over that part what jammed.

I don't know what could be gone wrong in encoding because files are working fine in PC...

Larry-G
30-12-13, 19:50
I didn't say that there is memory leak just tried to say that i still have this issue. I forgot to mention that if i'm able to stop movie and after enigma2 restart (not the entire box) i can continue to play file over that part what jammed.

I don't know what could be gone wrong in encoding because files are working fine in PC...

Thats the point i was trying to make, on a PC you can add software based codecs to play any format but via a STB ( set top box ) your limited to what the manufacturer includes and you can not add codecs your self, so you may find some files just do not play properly. The best thing to do i would say is grab a copy of handbreak and encode one your self to see if that makes a difference.

markom80
11-01-14, 12:32
I made some tests. I installed entirely different image, latest Black hole. Playing exactly same file with that worked like charm. MEMORY usage of enigma2 process was all time around 33% when with vix it increased all time until box was unusable.

So, please explain me how the there's no any memory leaks in vix or how black hole image is much better to play matroska?

Larry-G
11-01-14, 12:34
Black hole is directly based on the Vu+ Image and it is closed source so we have no earthly way of knowing what's in that.

markom80
11-01-14, 13:39
Black hole is directly based on the Vu+ Image and it is closed source so we have no earthly way of knowing what's in that.

Yes, i know but something you guys are doing wrong. My opinion is that there's some kind issue with memory consumption. Maybe it's some some special case or not but some how memory consumption of enigma2 process increases over 80% of total.

Trial
11-01-14, 14:42
Hi,
some version of gstreamer seems to have problems with to many subtitles. Do you have (a lot of) subtitles in your file? If yes try to remove some of them.

ciao

markom80
11-01-14, 14:51
There's six subtitle tracks totally. Five inside video file and one external

XRD
11-01-14, 17:59
I have this issue on a Duo, running Vix 808 (and every other version since 632)... some mkv files work fine, some just struggle after a random amount of time has elapsed and start stuttering before the spinning Vix logo appears and I can't do anything except 'hard' reboot it. Tried countless reflashes, different versions! Restarting works but it just happens again on longer videos, drives me mad... I have taken to pausing the file and then unpausing every 35 mins or so to sort of 'refresh' the file if you get what I mean, I don't know why, more than likely does nothing but not had it happen since I started doing that. Sometimes one file will work fine, the next day it could just fail after 10 minutes, 40 minutes, completely random. This is either over NAS and local so seems to be exact same issue as you are experiencing. No subtitles in my files FYI.

markom80
11-01-14, 18:20
Yes, it's propably same same issue. I must test that pause thing next time. It's some sort workaround but i hope they will fix it. I like vix and would be shame if i have to start using black hole image.

BubbleBalls
11-01-14, 18:22
Cacheflush plugin works for me - set to 15 mins. These files have always been a challenge since purchase 1.5/2 years ago. My Duo suffers from memory leak.

Tapatālker

XRD
11-01-14, 18:29
Can you post a screenshot of your Cacheflush plugin settings? Think I tried it once but didn't quite understand it fully... it also popped up in the middle of my movie when it had run once, is there any way to suppress the messages? Cheers.

BubbleBalls
11-01-14, 18:39
You can suppress

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/12/dajyja4a.jpg

Tapatālker

markom80
12-01-14, 13:27
I did some tests again. I installed cacheflush and set exactly same settings like picture above. It doesn't help anything. Enigma2 process is still using almost all memory and box starts to jam. Response time in menus was something like 40seconds. I Tried to clear cache manually with cacheflush it didn't help anything.

I also tested that pause thing. It helps. It slows down memory consumption... This is work around but i think that this may not help in every situation.

Rob van der Does
12-01-14, 18:25
Please make sure your files have been coded correctly, preferably with the H264 codec (as H264 is supported in the hardware). Use a program like 'Handbrake' to re-encode when needed.
As you might know MKV is just a container and doesn't say anything about the actual contents.

BubbleBalls
12-01-14, 18:42
I keep to the same "sources" for my MKVs. I use two creators whose encoding is manageable by the Duo. The memory fills slowly but surely on playback and I find that 15 mins in cacheflush works for me (not 5 as in SC).

This may be more to do with the memory leak on my box than the file itself though ( I am not sure) but when I first got the box most MKVs played for a short time, then froze the box, as described. I have learned to be selective as I don't want to spend time transcoding on PC before sending to the Duo.

Tapatālker

markom80
12-01-14, 19:19
Please make sure your files have been coded correctly, preferably with the H264 codec (as H264 is supported in the hardware). Use a program like 'Handbrake' to re-encode when needed.
As you might know MKV is just a container and doesn't say anything about the actual contents.

Like i said. With different image file worked just fine and enigma2 process didn't use all memory. Because of that i think file is ok.