PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Multi-coloured bar sometimes appears on screen

antiks
27-12-13, 11:38
Hi,

On my TV I sometimes get a multi-coloured bar that appears usually along the top of my screen, but sometimes in other places (such as two vertical bars at the side of the screen). This is only apparent after changing to a HD channel (occasionally), or switching from another input on my TV back to the Vu+ box. The only way to rectify this issue is to reboot the Vu+ box.

I've contacted LG first to see if it's an issue with my TV (as it's a relatively new TV and I didn't see this on my old LCD TV) and they said that as rebooting the Vu+ box fixed the problem, it's not an issue with the TV. I also don't have this issue on any other input (Roku or PS3)

Here are two pictures showing the issue:

http://i.imgur.com/OB3mJr4.png

http://i.imgur.com/gP1K7Nd.png

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

antiks.

Rob van der Does
27-12-13, 12:48
As rebooting the STB fixes it, it seems to be an HDMI-handshake issue. Possibly standby-cycling the box or switching input on the telly (back and forth to another input) will also fix it.
Maybe even enabling (or disabling) HDMI-CEC fixes it.

For an HDMI-handshake both parties have equal responsibility; it's hard to tell if the TV or the STB is the culprit.

antiks
27-12-13, 13:05
As rebooting the STB fixes it, it seems to be an HDMI-handshake issue. Possibly standby-cycling the box or switching input on the telly (back and forth to another input) will also fix it.
Maybe even enabling (or disabling) HDMI-CEC fixes it.

For an HDMI-handshake both parties have equal responsibility; it's hard to tell if the TV or the STB is the culprit.

Thanks Rob.

I've tried putting the STB into standby and changing inputs but it's always there - could it be the HDMI cable?

I'm also in contact with Amazon to get the TV swapped out just in case (it's within its 14 day return period!).

Thanks,

antiks.

Rob van der Does
27-12-13, 13:09
I've tried putting the STB into standby and changing inputs but it's always there - could it be the HDMI cable?
Yes, indeed. I recently had a similar issue and it took me quite some time to find the cable to be faulty (as also reboot 'fixed' the issue).

I'm also in contact with Amazon to get the TV swapped out just in case (it's within its 14 day return period!).
As far as I can see you have no good evidence to declare the TV to be guilty.

antiks
27-12-13, 13:13
Yes, indeed. I recently had a similar issue and it took me quite some time to find the cable to be faulty (as also reboot 'fixed' the issue).

Great, thanks. I've ordered a new HDMI cable - the ones I have are all of the same brand/model so I've gone for something different.

As far as I can see you have no good evidence to declare the TV to be guilty.

It also makes a very loud "click" when turning on/turning off - my brothers TV (exactly the same model, just manufactured in October - mine in August) doesn't exhibit this problem. It doesn't cost me anything do have it replaced - I'll see what the HDMI cable does :)

Thanks again!

antiks.

garyblas
27-12-13, 13:30
Could it be an overscan issue?
Or try resizing your STB to your new TV

antiks
27-12-13, 14:32
Could it be an overscan issue?
Or try resizing your STB to your new TV

That is exactly what the problem was. I've turned off overscan (by setting my TV's aspect ratio to "Just Scan") and then adjusted the Interface Options of ViX to fill the entire height & width of the screen. No more multi-coloured lines! I don't even remember setting this up on my old TV but I must have done :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

antiks.

Rob van der Does
27-12-13, 15:37
No, that's NOT an overscan issue. Turning overscan on (what you really don't want on an HD-telly) just hides the issue.
And turning overscan OFF should provoke seeing this issue.

judge
27-12-13, 15:41
What have you set in your A/V settings?
Maybe using a resolution your TV doesn't fully support?

antiks
27-12-13, 16:01
No, that's NOT an overscan issue. Turning overscan on (what you really don't want on an HD-telly) just hides the issue.
And turning overscan OFF should provoke seeing this issue.

Hi Rob,

I've turned off overscan and then expanded the GUI to fit to the edges of the screen, previously I had overscan on (ie. aspect ratio set to "Original") and I only saw a little bar along the top as per my pictures. Once I turned it off and fit the GUI properly, I don't get those bars any more and I can replicate the issue 100% of the time if I leave overscan off and scale the GUI back (so it's kind of floating in the middle of the screen) - anywhere outside of the GUI will turn into these multi-coloured lines (like an overlay on top of the picture). I've purchased the two HDMI cables anyway, but scaling the GUI properly (as I say something which I don't even remember doing on my original TV!) and turning my TV to "Just Scan" (ie. overscan off) seems to have solved the issue :)

What have you set in your A/V settings?
Maybe using a resolution your TV doesn't fully support?

My AV settings are set for 1080p - it's a brand new TV and is Full HD, so definitely within it's limits ;)

Cheers chaps!

Rob van der Does
27-12-13, 16:03
I've turned off overscan and then expanded the GUI to fit to the edges of the screen, previously I had overscan on (ie. aspect ratio set to "Original") and I only saw a little bar along the top as per my pictures. ..
Yeah, that's what I understood. And that's exactly what makes it unexplainable.
If it was the other way around (i.e. the 'bar' with overscan turned off) I could understand it.

Anyway: in both cases it should not show. And especially not as being 'fixable' by a reboot.

antiks
27-12-13, 16:07
Yeah, that's what I understood. And that's exactly what makes it unexplainable.
If it was the other way around (i.e. the 'bar' with overscan turned off) I could understand it.

Anyway: in both cases it should not show. And especially not as being 'fixable' by a reboot.

Strange eh! I'll let you know how I get on with the new HDMI cable - I'll set it back to the way it was (overscan on) and see if it comes back. Thanks for your help :)