PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Booting time

leonskaja
25-12-13, 12:31
Hi,

I have been playing with my new Solo2 for a few days now. As soon as I got it I replaced the standard image with VIX and so far I am quite pleased with it except for one thing and that is the booting time, both from scratch and from deep standby. I timed it and it takes 3 minutes and 50 seconds to boot. I think that is unacceptably long and wonder if something is wrong. Everything else seems to work fine. Apart from a weather plug-in and those that came with the image I do not have any others installed. I do record and backup to a NAS but even after I disabled that it made no difference at all. There is no internal hard disk or USB disk attached. I would welcome any suggestions.

PS. I am not sure how to perform a flash with/without settings restore.

Rob van der Does
25-12-13, 12:49
That is indeed far too long. A probable cause is that the box is looking for mounts that are not available at boot time.
Please upload your automounts.xml (from etc/enigma2) and your fstab (from etc/), so we can have a look.

leonskaja
25-12-13, 13:27
Ben blij dat dit inderdaad niet in de haak is. Rob have you read my PS ... and you expect me to find these files deeply buried in the linux system? Anyway, I'll do my best.

Rob van der Does
25-12-13, 13:37
Also: is any USB-stick connected to the box on boot? If so, please disconnect and see how you go from there.

You can use any FTP-client to copy the files to your PC.

leonskaja
25-12-13, 13:51
Hi Rob,

Here are the two files you requested. As you can see I am using the NAS again but as I noted earlier, when I disabled it the boot time was just as long (I timed it). No, as I also stated in the first mail, I do not have a USB stick attached).

PS. Files deleted again.

Rob van der Does
25-12-13, 13:59
You have an entry

192.168.0.0:/ /media/net/nfs_netdev,rw,nolock,tcp,nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsiz e=8192,timeo=14,fg,soft,intr 0 0
Is that a valid and useful mount?

leonskaja
25-12-13, 14:11
I do not think so. AFAIK none of my network addresses use 192.168.0.XXXX. Where does it come from and how do I delete it?

I checked the mounts in the Mount Manager under Network and the only one listed there is the NAS. Mounts under VIX lists nothing.

Rob van der Does
25-12-13, 14:30
I have no idea where it stems from. But looking for a mount that is not available is a common cause for a long boot time.

To delete it:
1- stop E2 ('init 4' in telnet)
2- edit the file fstab (remove the wrong entry)
3- reboot ('init 6' in telnet)

and don't forget to clock the boot time :)

leonskaja
25-12-13, 14:35
Thanks Rob. I am not sure how to stop E2 ("init 4" in Telnet means nothing to me). Can't I just edit FSTAB on my PC and copy it back again?

Rob van der Does
25-12-13, 14:37
You can try that; I'm not sure if it works. But you won't loose anything.

Rob van der Does
25-12-13, 14:47
Please always make a settings backup (backup manager) before trying to ruin your setup :p

leonskaja
25-12-13, 15:04
I am stuck because I do not know how to edit FSTAB. Is there a (Telnet) program that will allow me to do that on a PC or Mac?

Is there another way of updating fstab? (Reflash?)

Rob van der Does
25-12-13, 15:10
There are several freeware editors available. I use Notepad++, PSPad and Programmer's Notepad

leonskaja
25-12-13, 16:22
Rob,

Thanks a lot, the culprit was indeed this weird and unexplained mount. I deleted it and ftped the file back to a running Solo2 and after rebooting (I had to wait until a recoding was finished) it started up in a fraction of the time (40 secs or so). Wonderful!

Rob van der Does
25-12-13, 21:12
Good to hear it's sorted. Enjoy the fast box!