PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] crossepg crashes and restarts box

edogg
21-12-13, 11:03
this morning when I turned the duo on it booted up and I then pressed blue crossepg downloader it got as far as reading titles and the screen went black the lcd showed vu+ then starting and the screen stayed black then it went to my start program I pressed blue crossepg downloader it again only read titles to 97mb and the screen went black when it came back on I restored my backup of 806 and pressed blue crossepg downloader and the download completed 1387619763.05 refer's to this

plugins
Autoboquets E2 : Crossepg downloader : Iptvlist updater 1.30-21.11.13 : Media Scanner : On demand : open webif : picture player : Rats DW picon Updater : Tsmedia

Rob van der Does
21-12-13, 11:36
The same question has been asked and answered several times before.
The DUO has a limited amount of memory, and Cross is a memory intensive job.
For the DUO:
1- Make sure to set Cross only to use Open-TV on 28.2E or 13.0E
2- Activate a SWAP-file (use the swap-manager and set to max size)

edogg
21-12-13, 13:54
thanks but why did it not crash after reflashing the back up from yesterday when i did the fresh install

Rob van der Does
21-12-13, 14:31
Soon after a you flashed? That would explain it, as then there is much more memory available.

judge
21-12-13, 14:40
I pressed blue crossepg downloader it again only read titles to 97mb and the screen went black

97mb sounds pretty large to me...

edogg
21-12-13, 15:02
97mb sounds pretty large to me...

yes now it is only 13.62mb

Burnham
21-12-13, 15:11
I find that with the Duo - with its very limited memory capacity - runs better with the XMLTV importer instead of CrossEPG.

They both do the same thing, although most people use CrossEPG as it get more publicity.

Rob van der Does
21-12-13, 16:13
They don't do the same thing.
For XMLTV-Import I highly recommend to use the XMLTV-Importer; that does a good job. Make sure to set the import time >07.00 GMT as before that time you get lists from the previous day.
For Open-TV you have no choice: only Cross does that and it does that well.

So I use both: Cross for Open-TV (13.0E & 28.2E) & XMLTV-importer for Benelux, German and French services.

Burnham
22-12-13, 17:12
Most people want an EPG process that works. They don't care about the technical details.

Both CrossEPG and XMLTV give you an EPG.

My advice to anyone using a old VU+ Duo with a current OpenViX image who wants to have a UK EPG is to use XMLTV in preference to CrossEPG as it is less likely to freeze the VU+ Duo.

stevejd2001
22-12-13, 17:16
Most people want an EPG process that works. They don't care about the technical details.

My advice to anyone using a old VU+ Duo with a current OpenViX image who wants to have a UK EPG is to use XMLTV in preference to CrossEPG as it is less likely to freeze the VU+ Duo.

As Rob says your RAM is @ limit on the Duo , so in addition to the swap file download cacheflush and will eliminate the crashes as it frees up the RAM

Larry-G
22-12-13, 17:17

Cant speak for any one else but neither of my two Duo's have ever had a issue with CrossEPG on any build new or old, nor have i ever had to use a swap file on them either.

Rob van der Does
22-12-13, 17:51

Sorry, but I don't think that my advise to use Cross for Ope-TV (on 28.2 and or 13.0) and XMLTV-importer for anything else is very technical.

And the DUO is very well capable of doing both, provided the setup is correct.

Burnham
23-12-13, 15:23
I have seen two further posts since yesterday from Duo owners who have problems with CrossEPG.

Just seems easier to me to use XMLTV - you get an EPG - and fewer problems.

Rob van der Does
23-12-13, 15:53
The result is very different: Cross read the actual data and XMLTV gets yesterday's data from websites.
And again: when properly setup the DUO is very well capable of handling Cross.

GiP
24-12-13, 10:27
When I had problems with EPG after upgrading to 760 ( I think) I did as suggested and uninstalled/reinstalled it, it's working without problems since then. I use it with OpenTV for SKY IT and OTA for SRG and others (with swap and Cacheflush).
G

edogg
27-12-13, 10:54
I updated to 808 and now crossepg crashes with Crossepgerror cannot find NIM

garyblas
27-12-13, 12:10
Working ok here on my duo. But not updating all channels in epg. Will delete epg then refresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Rob van der Does
27-12-13, 12:19
Working ok here on my duo. But not updating all channels in epg.
So IMHO that's NOT OK :confused:

Deleting epg.dat won't help for that. Instead of deleting the Cross database see what the option 'Defragment database' brings you.

garyblas
27-12-13, 12:50
Sorry Rob my wording could of been better. CrossEPG is working fine but was holding some channel info from previous day. Deleted EPG file has fixed this.

Still getting some channel names missing until i select channel, but suspect this is Sky changing freq's ?

Rob van der Does
27-12-13, 12:53
CrossEPG is working fine but was holding some channel info from previous day. Deleted EPG file has fixed this.
That sounds very plausible indeed.

Still getting some channel names missing until i select channel, but suspect this is Sky changing freq's ?
Probably. Run ABM (again)?

garyblas
27-12-13, 13:17
no still does it .. Not a problem once select channel it puts in name