PDA

View Full Version : Sell it to me....!

Comfysofa
19-12-13, 16:01
Hi - I don't tend to post that much....main reason: my vu duo has been so good I haven't really needed to - any problems Ive had have been small and most stuff I can put up with...heres the question....

Im looking at the duo 2. Underneath my TV ive got a mac mini that does the media centre duties. Ive got a home server in the basement with various types of content on it....hd mkv, avi, video_ts folders etc etc ....can the Vu 2 play all of that - I do also have the home server running a dlna server as well (Mezzmo). The whole house is hard rj45 cabled and theres a 48 port managed switch running the networking side so bandwidth isn't an issue.

So - is it worth the upgrade? if I can get it and sell the mac then it'd be a no brainer but if someone could sell it to me on all the other stuff that it does that I don't know about then please do...!

AJT
19-12-13, 17:23
Well its worth the upgrade just for the power of the cpu and the speed of the thing.
extra flash extra everything.
just look here see if it is any good for you.
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/VU-Plus-Duo2-Duo-2-1x-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma-2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver?filter_name=Duo2

Rob van der Does
19-12-13, 18:09
The DUO2 can playback the same as the DUO does.
All depends on the codecs used inside your files/containers. If the codec is supported (by the hardware of the box) playback is fine. If not, you should transcode the files, preferably using the H264 codec.

Comfysofa
19-12-13, 20:22
Well, gents - I kinda sold it to myself - got the order in at the last minute....should be here tomorrow.....am I right in assuming that if it can stream to an ipad, tablet etc etc it can stream to a WDTV for example...? or a smart tv?

Sicilian
19-12-13, 20:31
Transcoding is mobile devices is currently being worked on by VU+.

Comfysofa
19-12-13, 20:52
Transcoding is mobile devices is currently being worked on by VU+.

Sorry - that made no sense what so ever.....

Im assuming that if theres an app...(ie its on the play market area) then it can stream to a mobile device.....so....can it stream to something like a WDTV? or a smart tv..? - ie is it running as a DLNA server.

AJT
19-12-13, 22:55
Hi i can stream any channel on my duo2 channel list HD or SD to my ipad air using blackbox os app.It also doubles as a remote for the box should you wish and watch recorded programmes from duo2 on ipad.you have to buy the app of course but i have also used on or two free apps that just stream from box.
I have not used WDTV.

Comfysofa
19-12-13, 23:22
Can it stream multiple channels to multiple devices?

AJT
19-12-13, 23:41

I would imagine it could only handle the devices equal to tuners.as it will use one tuner to each stream i guess.. as i have only used it to stream to my ipad i can not say mate ref multiple devices at once but it does do it flawlessly i to one ipad i must say.

Larry-G
20-12-13, 00:41
Sorry - that made no sense what so ever.....

Im assuming that if theres an app...(ie its on the play market area) then it can stream to a mobile device.....so....can it stream to something like a WDTV? or a smart tv..? - ie is it running as a DLNA server.

As sicilian said, the transcoding feature is currently not working as it should, this is a known issue and one that Vu+ are working on

Larry-G
20-12-13, 00:43

I dont believe so, although i may be wrong as its not a feature that particularly interests me on my solo2.

abu baniaz
20-12-13, 02:15
Don't get mixed up between streaming and transcoding. As pointed out in a recent thread, transcoding is streaming at a lower bitrate.

On the TM Twin, you can stream different channels simultaneously (subject to tuners/transponders), so I would assume/hope a receiver with a superior CPU will do better.

At the moment, Starplus HD on main screen and aslo being streamed phone, (not perfect as over wifi, started before other service too). BBC1 HD and BBC2 HD being streamed to PC.

Guide to allow more than 1 instance of VLC

https://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_play_multiple_instances_of_VLC/

Rob van der Does
20-12-13, 06:35
Streaming can be done to multiple devices. They are handled by the box the same way as a recording.
Transcoding uses additional resources (hard- and software). Only one transcoded stream can be handled.

stick50jr
20-12-13, 07:01

I have streamed multiple channels to my PC running multiple instances of VLC! This was initially done accidentally (I had VLC shortcuts for various specific channels on my desktop (Win XP) and thought it would simply change channels. But it just opened up extra copies of VLC and the Vu+Duo fed them). This exercise produced a cacophany of simultaneous sound:). Anyhow, I assume that the Duo2 would do this even more easily (haven't bothered to test this). I guess it would be better to have multiple people/viewers to have a practical use.
As you can see from my signature, my Duo2 runs 7 tuners and has no problems recording on all of them simultaneously while replaying pre-recorded material. My Duo was okay with SD for about 4 simultaneous recordings, but ran out of puff trying to handle multiple HD recordings. The Duo2 is not cheap, but I'm glad I bought it for all the CPU and memory... copes with everything that I've thrown at it!

Comfysofa
20-12-13, 08:39
Essentially it'd be nice to stream a live channel to a room that doesn't have a receiver in it but does have a network connection and a streaming capable device.

Rob van der Does
20-12-13, 08:45
That is possible indeed.
But of course the success depends on the playback-capabilities of that device.
Using e.g. a PC/Mac/SmartPhone there is no real problem.

AJT
20-12-13, 12:29
I can stream duo2 to internet enabled tv in a different room.Its a bit of a pain to set up but works fine.

Comfysofa
20-12-13, 13:08
Cool - that's what im looking for...! (is there a walkthrough anywhere?) - when you say stream does that mean the streamed channel your watching in the other room is independent of what the actual box is watching and does the stream require a free tuner...?

It just turned up so ive got it on my desk at work hooked to the LAN and on the outside world....its xmas so no ones doing much...time to play...ive not got it hooked up to a dish but I should be able to do the software...

Here we go....

Best image at the moment - Ive always used Vix on the duo but I don't mind trying anything else.....

As its brand new are there any firmware flashes that should be done before I get configuring....

Can I just pull the disc from the duo and stick it in without formatting? - wont loose my recordings then...

Picons - is there a new area or are they the same ones/type?

abu baniaz
20-12-13, 13:21
Try the images, use the one you like. Pretty sure you will back to Vix.

Internal memory is best for picons.

Transferring HDD will not result in loss of recordings. There is nice tutorial on sharing HDD between receivers in guide section.

Streaming: depends on what transponder channel is on. In essence same principle as multiple recordings.

Comfysofa
20-12-13, 13:53
Where (on here) can I pick up the picons?

+ it looks like im going to have to run some more cables down the receiver from the roof!

judge
20-12-13, 14:08
Where (on here) can I pick up the picons?

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Picons

Sicilian
20-12-13, 14:12
Or Menu > plugins > Press green to download plugins > Picons.

Comfysofa
20-12-13, 15:26
Cheers....not the old way then (putting them on a usb stick and ftp'ing them in!)

Next question: Can I go bigger than 2tb (id like to put a 4tb in) as use it for backup file storage now someone has at last put a gigbit line in on a receiver!

Comfysofa
20-12-13, 16:35
Hey Sicilian - this is a bit off topic but I see that in your sig you've got the Ariva HD 102 mini in there - CCcam always freezes every few minutes or so....do you get that? if not then it must be me....

Rob van der Does
20-12-13, 16:41
Hey Sicilian - this is a bit off topic but .....
Then why not open a thread for your question :confused:
Then it won't be off topic.....

AJT
20-12-13, 23:34
Cool - that's what im looking for...! (is there a walkthrough anywhere?) - when you say stream does that mean the streamed channel your watching in the other room is independent of what the actual box is watching and does the stream require a free tuner...?

It just turned up so ive got it on my desk at work hooked to the LAN and on the outside world....its xmas so no ones doing much...time to play...ive not got it hooked up to a dish but I should be able to do the software...

Here we go....

Best image at the moment - Ive always used Vix on the duo but I don't mind trying anything else.....

As its brand new are there any firmware flashes that should be done before I get configuring....

Can I just pull the disc from the duo and stick it in without formatting? - wont loose my recordings then...

Picons - is there a new area or are they the same ones/type?

Stick with vix image.I have tried every image available just to have a look etc.i alway come back to vix after a hour or so.its a great clean image super well maintained you can not go wrong.

as for streaming to another TV all i did was enable DNLA on the tv and it just found my box as they are both on the same network
I have never needed to do anything with my hard drive.I have movies and recorded programmes on it and it worked fine on every image i flashed..even when i flash back to vix everything remains the same.When you install a new or different image do nothing with the hard drive and after install all will be good.
Well it always has for me..Tried the new blackhole image today..set it all up watched a programme i had recorded while on vix then flashed back to vix..blackhole is not for me.

Stanman
21-12-13, 08:12
As long as you NEVER initialize the hdd your programmes will be fine and move between images without any worries apart from setting the image up, Andy has even ,made that a sench in VIX with integrated backup for whole image or just the the settings.

AJT
21-12-13, 09:34
As long as you NEVER initialize the hdd your programmes will be fine and move between images without any worries apart from setting the image up, Andy has even ,made that a sench in VIX with integrated backup for whole image or just the the settings.

yes and its fantastic and quick to restore back to vix less than 5 mins from another image and im done fully set up from where i left off. makes life so much easier.One of the reasons i stick with vix its such a uncomplicated and helpful image.

Comfysofa
22-12-13, 07:50
Then why not open a thread for your question :confused:
Then it won't be off topic.....

Yeah - you got a good point there....

Comfysofa
22-12-13, 08:10
Well, had a nice lazy day yesterday - haven't been able to do that for the last 6 months or so - DIY/renovation work, people in hospital etc etc so I got to mess around with it a little....

Stuck the hard disc in - messed around with it a little but formatted in the end - would have been nice to keep the recordings but wasn't too worried... needed a reboot to get it working but that's all ok now.

Ive installed the vfd software (not sure how I did that - but its there) - is it configurable as ive seen screenshots on the net and while mines working and showing the picons ive seen better setups - ie a different arrangement of picons and text etc etc....

Anyway - its working - definitely a step up from the duo (not that there was anything wrong with it) its done sterling service in the last few years and has been a credit to the vix guys that supply the image. Its been retasked to my office. The plan is to mess around with that more now its not in the front room so I can learn how to do stuff on that and then transpose anything I learn to the duo 2 - that's now in the front room under the tv.

I must say I used to be a dreambox groupie - I still have a couple of 7025's, 600 and 800 - I almost went for a 7020HD but didn't due to mainly the VIX image on the duo and the support that it gets.

Thanks to all of you on this thread for the advice and help - I will be posting more but this initially gets me off the ground and running.

Stanman
22-12-13, 08:28
Probably not what you want to hear now but if the HDD was fRom another E2 box, you did not need to format it and your recordings would have been there and just like on the other Box.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Comfysofa
23-12-13, 11:50
Yeah - I did think that but when I plugged it in it couldn't see it - only after an initialization...doesn't matter though....