PDA

View Full Version : Best budget linux based single tuner full HD box with minimum issues?

firehorse
19-12-13, 11:31
Hi All

I have limited budget for a new box around £150.

I am new to linux boxes and does not have much time to spend configuring it.

I am looking for a reliable qood quality hd box that requires minimum attention.

Looked into Technomate nano, Octagon SF8 hd, Vu+ solo and Gigablue HD.

I welcome any ideas, recommendations, suggestions please.

Many thanks

Emulated
19-12-13, 12:00
"I am new to linux boxes and does not have much time to spend configuring it."

That's the problem, it takes quite a bit of time. VU appear to have the best back up for the totally confused along with Dream Multimedia.

firehorse
19-12-13, 13:04
Thanks Emulated.

Which box has the least problems and offers the best value?
Anyone?

dfdream
19-12-13, 13:36
I have a Technomate nano in the kitchen.
I had the same requirements as you cheap and reliable.
Have to say for me anyway its 100%.
Its small so fits out of the way.
It takes internal 2.5" drive (with optional caddy).
It boots faster and operates faster than my old DUO but has 1 sat connection.
Ive never had to do a thing with it (except routine updates) and its 3 months old...

Jason
19-12-13, 14:36
I'd recommend a Gigablue, a good bang for buck at the minute. 45 minutes to flash VIX (quad) and the EPG, bouquets and picons and away to go. Maybe an hour if you want to FTP a .cfg to the box.

Worth noting the PLUS versions of the Gigablue for whatever reason are not supported by VIX yet. Opennips is pretty good though.

firehorse
19-12-13, 18:42
Thank you all

Just ordered the Technomate nano

JiiAa
20-12-13, 16:45
Good choice, i've been very happy with mine. Best bang for the buck.

sanderson82
20-12-13, 17:52
I've just bought Gigablue Quad. Before that I had a TM Nano and before that a VU Solo.

As far as the Vix image goes the Solo possibly shades it due to the support however I'd still prob go for the Nano. Well spec'd, option of internal HDD on single tuner is great and @£129 it's really well priced.

You won't be disappointed. We were all new to Linux receivers at one stage or another. Plenty out there on flashing, installing cams, epg, plugins.

My tip...don't rush. Spend some time reading through the forum, everything you need is there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Larry-G
20-12-13, 18:06
I've just bought Gigablue Quad. Before that I had a TM Nano and before that a VU Solo.

As far as the Vix image goes the Solo possibly shades it due to the support however I'd still prob go for the Nano. Well spec'd, option of internal HDD on single tuner is great and @£129 it's really well priced.

You won't be disappointed. We were all new to Linux receivers at one stage or another. Plenty out there on flashing, installing cams, epg, plugins.

My tip...don't rush. Spend some time reading through the forum, everything you need is there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

And dont forget that the sponsor offers a £5.00 discount to forum members on any receiver he stocks, so the Nano would come in at £124 which is a great deal.