01-11-10, 13:57
or is it just we dont have any problems :D

pooface
01-11-10, 13:58
lol, I think it's that mate ;)

Got my macbook pro running here nicely :D

silverfox0786
03-11-10, 03:01
andy + poo the unfotunate thing for me with a mac is i was saving for a mac book air after buying a £660 iphone 4 32gb and it was stolen withn 1 week of having it now i payed £600 for phone and £60 for insurance. when i called apple they said they dont cover loss, theft or accidental damage (what was that £60 i payed for then) and to really take the biscuit they said they cannot block the phone they do not have the technology to do it.now that i found appalling as if i brought the phone on contract then my cnp would have been able to block the phone infact they asked me if i needed it blocked and then said if i brought it direct then they will have to do it. so i lost £660 in 1 week and swore i would ever buy apple again. thats when i decided to use the money that i did have saved to help recover my loss even though it was mine anyway lol and buy my vu+ Duo (btw the phone i purchased on 13th sept and it was stolen on 22nd sept) and who ever has it has a perfect phone that will never get blocked aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! [and yes i cryed]

paul362
03-11-10, 08:41
Sorry to hear that m8 , I don't have a mac plain and simple because I cant afford one. LOL

pooface
03-11-10, 09:24
Wow, that's crap silverfox... I wouldn't bother with apple in terms of mobile phones... £600 to me for a phone is totally not worth it. Especially an iphone. Personally, I would prefer to buy a htc android phone (yeah, I know that android isn't the best for music), and then have an ipod touch for actual music/games/apps. But, I find that I hardly use music that much, as I just listen to it in the car mainly... WHere I just have mp3 cds...

But, with all phones, can't you just claim on the house insurance (assuming you have personal belongings/out of home cover)?!

silverfox0786
03-11-10, 13:11
Thanks for condolances for my loss. that what i have done claimed on house insurance the insurance company was so helpfull but still its beyond belief what apple are doing and not advising its customers. i'm an HTC man myself i have a XDA Pro [OLD] a HTC Touch Dual [Sort of OLD] Google G1 [bit OLD] and the new SE X10 MINI [New] just thought i'd try an iphone too. big mistake. [and now my wife wants a blackberry aaaaaaahhh!!!!!!!!]

BTW i brought the iphone for app use only for music i havve a 160GB ipod classic which i love to bits lol :p [but dont love apple]

WOIIFTM
03-11-10, 13:39
@silverfox0786: sorry to hear about your misfortune, I hope the insurance will soften the blow a little bit.

On the topic of Mac users: I am a Mac user and indeed I have no problems.

All my Vu+ Duo and Dreambox 7025+ 'manipulation' is done using iDreamX and frankly there's (almost) nothing else I need for this. Sure a lot of the PC tool are more elaborate and have more features but I get by with what iDreamX offers.

On the computer side: my PowerBook G4 is showing its age with a ratteling left exhaust fan and more apps showing up I can't run because of no Intel inside. But guess what, I bought me a complete heatsink including left and right fans on the Bay for $40 including shipping. Now I need some free time to replace the fan and everything will be OK.

BTW: I still own and operate (from time to time) my first Mac ever, a trusty Apple Mac SE from 1988. It still runs, never had any problems, only the battery on the motherboard had to be replaced some years ago.

frenchie0101
11-11-10, 23:02
Mac user here also, using iDreamX (which is ace) streams flawless with VLC... thats it end of

silverfox0786
12-11-10, 00:17
Mac user here also, using iDreamX (which is ace) streams flawless with VLC... thats it end of

Sorry end of ?????????????????????????????????????????? :confused:

jdee
17-12-10, 22:34
iMac 27" with 8 gigs memory - just brought it and love it. Also got a Macbook Pro which I have been using for nearly 2 years now.

Regards

JD

pooface
17-12-10, 23:06
iMac 27" with 8 gigs memory - just brought it and love it. Also got a Macbook Pro which I have been using for nearly 2 years now.

Regards

JD

Don't forget a post in the welcome section...

PS, all donations of imac can be given to me directly ;) pm me for my details :D :roflmao:

jdee
18-12-10, 18:15
Intro already done mate as for imac donation - it took me long enough to get hold of it and sadly (for you :-) ) it aint going anywhere!

Regards

JD

Peter
26-12-10, 22:43
Silver Fox. Just seen your post. I use Macs and know what Apple are like to deal with. I have had two disputes with them over recent years.
I found that a few recorded delivery letters suitably worded (County Court etc) did the trick.
They quickly equate the cost to them of defending an Action against paying up. Give it a try. Just sound like you know the elementary law of 'For purpose intended'
If you have the contract see where and what is precluded. See the 'Unfair Exclusions' Regs.
Late thought: if its a separate Insurance Co. then chase them.
Get help from Trading Standards or whatever they are called these days.

Peter
09-01-11, 17:55
Do you Mac users manage all aspects of setting up and using Linux boxes without having to use any Microsoft stuff.
I get the impression its not possible ??

I have Windows 7 on my MacBook for a Grandson to use and hate it compared to what I'm used to.

silverfox0786
09-01-11, 17:57
i you want to set up you linux box with mac then you can use idreamX here on this forum

Peter
09-01-11, 18:03
Thanks SilverFox. So Absolutely no need for anything MS or otherwise. ? Reason I ask is a neighbour (Mac User) wants to buy a Linux
box but has no access to Windows or Linux software knowledge

silverfox0786
09-01-11, 18:05
we have many mac users here that are happy with setting up using mac with the relevent tools

i dont have a mac but i do know idreamX is one proggie there are others too

Peter
09-01-11, 18:11
Do you mean you did not get a payout for the one you had stolen or just didn't replace it ? Are you able to tell me which other proggies that apply ? Thanks

silverfox0786
09-01-11, 18:14
my iphone 4 got stolen not mac and yes i got £600 for it minus £100 excess so i was able to replace it

i'm not sure of the other progs but there are a good few mac users here that will see this thread and reply

canthackit
23-02-11, 17:23
just bought one today.

_http://www.johnlewis.com/231034606/Product.aspx

i gonna be on here pleading for help i just know it :D

really fed up with windoze and microsoft, so when i see this i jumped right in :rolleyes:

so be prepared to be bombarded with helppppppppppppppp questions :eek:

regards; canthackit

Larry-G
23-02-11, 17:38
lol your sick of windows so you jump to the most closed and restrictive system known to man ?.
personally i'd have gone to linux rather than apple.

punisher
23-02-11, 17:43
thats not actually a bad price, i was going to buy one directly from mac and pay via finance cuz their finance offers were pretty decent, plus the apple care protection was being added for free lol but after speaking to a few mac freaks lol they tempted me to wait a while as they were told me better spec models should be out soon. not sure what though :| lol

pooface
23-02-11, 23:23
From what I understand, the newer macs are only speculation (as they always are :p), but won't be out for at least another 2 months yet...

WOIIFTM
23-02-11, 23:44
lol your sick of windows so you jump to the most closed and restrictive system known to man ?.
personally i'd have gone to linux rather than apple.

OSX restrictive? seems you never worked with Windows Vista! In OSX I'm in control of what's going on and I'm still without any anti-virus or other protective software. And since I started out with Apple OS version 4, moving on to OSX was a natural thing to do. But I'm getting your point, in Linux you're in control of everything, something I personally don't want to spend time on. And with about 20 Linux distributions to choose from, you need plenty of time to find the one that suits you best. Again, time I personally don't want to spend.

Larry-G
23-02-11, 23:50
lol well each to their own i guess.
rite now i'm using windows 7 pro x64. as far as av software goes. i'm using MS security essentials / and windows firewall. with spybot / Ccleaner / threat fire and malwarebytes. all very light programmes that dont hog up system resources. i also run a ubuntu system that needs nothing what so ever.

punisher
23-02-11, 23:57
yeh so ive been told, but the imacs do look sexy :smiley_yup:

pooface
24-02-11, 00:41
lol well each to their own i guess.
rite now i'm using windows 7 pro x64. as far as av software goes. i'm using MS security essentials / and windows firewall. with spybot / Ccleaner / threat fire and malwarebytes. all very light programmes that dont hog up system resources. i also run a ubuntu system that needs nothing what so ever.

tbh, I imagine you'd be ok without any of that crap.... 9/10 you only need that sorta software when other peopl use your machine, unless ur one of those other people not knowing what ur doing :p

Larry-G
24-02-11, 00:44
yeah i probably would to be honest. but i just keep them there in case i ever need them. theres nothing really on this machine i would miss if things went belly up. i have a few batch files set to run at 22:00 each day that backup a few select folders from this machine to a NAS. apart from that i dont bother keeping backups as a new install takes a hour tops with my customised unattended install disc.

canthackit
24-02-11, 10:39
@ phoenix

that's my point mate regarding all that security crap we have to indure, for me the idea of a mac, the look the feel of the whole system is far superior.

how you can call mac a restrictive OS over windoze is beyond me, macs are faster, more secure, lighter, and look brilliant...and until i know different ( i take delivery Tuesday) i'l stick with macs thank you :D

Linux yes!:confused: i have in the past tried some different distros, suse redhat, ubuntu, and so on but i found the thing far to difficult, so until i recieve my mac and try it out, i'll get back to you if it's not what i expected i'l hold my hands up and say you were right.

regards: canthackit

dymebox
25-02-11, 10:33
I'm running with a 15" MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone but my main baby is a x2 Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro (with 12GB RAM) :D

New MacBook Pro's out today though with Thunderbolt/Lightpeak :)

25-02-11, 10:50
Hi,

I've been using Mac for past ten years. I don't even own a PC. Manage to run/configure my duo perfectly. Agree iDreamX is quality application. And terminal too for most of the configurations :D

laserquest
08-05-11, 15:30
Hi. I have a mac and use idreamX - good program. However, in order to receive the audio channels on TF1HD, I need to be able to edit the audio settings on the channel. Is there a program that can do this on a mac?

11-05-11, 16:08
Hi,

I've been using Mac for past ten years. I don't even own a PC. Manage to run/configure my duo perfectly. Agree iDreamX is quality application. And terminal too for most of the configurations :D

Agreed! I'm a Mac user and Terminal, iDreamX and VLC is all I need :D

WOIIFTM
11-05-11, 19:56
Hi. I have a mac and use idreamX - good program. However, in order to receive the audio channels on TF1HD, I need to be able to edit the audio settings on the channel. Is there a program that can do this on a mac?

iDreamX does not allow you to do this (yet). There is a ported version of DreamboxEdit available for OSX (even from his site I think) that does allow editing. You need an Intel based Mac in order to use this.

punisher
11-05-11, 20:30
try this

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8252-DreamboxEdit-Mac-Version-4.0.12&p=61266#post61266

roy0110
14-03-14, 20:27
bringing this thread back up.
i got an apple mac mini in a deal i made.
looks nice, works nice but what the heck am i gonna do with it?
got windows machines in every room (almost) and vu+ uno in the rooms that want them.
i do very little to the receivers via computer, everything is managed through the receiver.
so do i really need this mac?
looking for good ideas on how to use it with my receiver/s over and above what could be done by windows machines.
or it's off to the market!

pooface
14-03-14, 20:39
bringing this thread back up.
i got an apple mac mini in a deal i made.
looks nice, works nice but what the heck am i gonna do with it?
got windows machines in every room (almost) and vu+ uno in the rooms that want them.
i do very little to the receivers via computer, everything is managed through the receiver.
so do i really need this mac?
looking for good ideas on how to use it with my receiver/s over and above what could be done by windows machines.
or it's off to the market!

It's not gonna do much for your receiver that you can't already do with your windows machine...

It's just a different machine with a different os and software for that os...

xcase
19-03-14, 19:31
I once had a mac mini, sold it within a week as i had no use for it.... imac and MBP :cool:

Maxwell
19-03-14, 19:43
They do make an attractive door stop though :D

marty
19-03-14, 19:45
They do make an attractive door stop though :D

So do Spiderboxes :sofahide:

steveharman
14-09-14, 10:44
Then build one - I did, saved a fortue and at the time of construction ended up with a more powerful machine than even Apple could supply. :-).

http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php

Easy these days if you stick to tried and tested hardware and there's a really friendly community to help out. A bit like this one!

Cheers,

Steve