PDA

View Full Version : v-box & receiver - Help Please

josephine5899
11-12-13, 21:48
Hi,
Please can someone kindly help. I want to buy a linux receiver, twin tuner, HD, etc (only for legal use). I have a motorised dish with 36v motor. I'm told I need a v-box.
Problem is, some say that everytime I want to change satellites I'd need to use the v-box remote, and then choose channel via the receiver remote.
Others say that if I buy a Mk3 v-box, I would be able to change satellites via the receiver, as long as v-box is connected.
Can anyone please confirm which is correct.
Thank you,

Cohibastevie
11-12-13, 22:36
I think some people may read your other post and put 2 and 2 together lol.

duoduo
11-12-13, 22:49
Only for legal use pmsl, I read the thread Phoenix closed earlier..

judge
11-12-13, 22:57
Still, nothing wrong with this thread, so if anyone knows the answer to this question, please do let the OP know.

Clabs
11-12-13, 23:00
Yes - you will need a v-box to drive a 36v motor. The v-box II is for motors with a reed switch/sensor. The v-box III has an additional 5v output for motors with an optical sensor.

The vast majority of motors have a reed switch and so a V-box II should be fine but you would need to check the make/model of your motor to be sure. A simple way of checking is that reed switch motors use 4 wires and optical ones use 5 wires.

Either version v-box should interface fine between a linux receiver and your dish/motor. You initially use the remote for the v-box to store each individual satellite position ie satellite A = position 1, sat B = position 2 etc. You then set up the tuners in your sat receiver with those parameters and when you change to a channel on a different satellite, the receiver sends the signal to the v-box to move to the required position. If you use VIX image you will find the required settings are pretty comprehensive for your needs.

This positioner from the forum sponsor should do what you want. Although it is called a g-box it does the same job and better than v-box because it has a higher resolution meaning it should position the dish more accurately. You will get good service from the forum sponser too.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/DiSEqC-Motors-Positioners/Alsat-V-Box-400-GBOX-v2000-DiSEqC-Positioner

I did see your other thread that got closed but as long as you don't talk about "that stuff" I am sure you will be fine!

judge
11-12-13, 23:02
Still, nothing wrong with this thread.
well, besides the obvious porky...
Anyway, thanks Clabs for answering.

Clabs
11-12-13, 23:06
well, besides the obvious porky...
Anyway, thanks Clabs for answering.

Haha - made me chuckle......

josephine5899
11-12-13, 23:29
I really do appreciate the info and help Clabs, thank you for that. I will contact the sponsor tomorrow as you suggest.
Glad I gave everyone a bit of a laugh. Smiling faces are happy people. I'll be sure not to break any forum rules in future.
Thanks again.

Clabs
11-12-13, 23:47
No worries at all. Out of interest, what dish/motor do you have and what sats are you hoping for? It must be fairly large if it requires a 36v motor. Oh - and is the dish aleady in place? That should make your life a whole lot easier!

Cheers

josephine5899
12-12-13, 14:17
I have a 1.2 motorised.
I was told that my receiver would not position the sat when connected to the the v-box, once Images are downloaded to the receiver, such as Enigma & Black Hole.
Can you point me in the direction of a dummy’s guide to do this, it’s all so new to me.

Apparently the software in the images is for the diseq, and does not include v-box capability. Therefore, if it works, I’d need to know what Images it works with. Any ideas, as I want to position the dish with receiver, not v-box, when changing channels.
I’ll more than likely go for the VU+ duo or Giga Blue. These seem to be highly recommended. Therefore, are there any Images which definitely work with these.

Clabs
12-12-13, 15:06
There is some more stuff in this thread that might explain better:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?561-Setting-up-your-VU-with-Motorised-Dish-amp-Seperate-Positioner

What motor have you got?

Burnham
12-12-13, 15:08
All enigma2 boxes will control any v-Box. Also all Images will work fine. You just change the channel with your receiver's remote control, and this sends a signal to the v-Box to move the dish to the correct satellite.

But it is probably the most complicated thing you have to set up with your new enigma2 box - when you have successfully set up your v-Box, everything else will be easy!

Before you buy the old Alsаt version v-Box I would ask if there are any other models available. Those old Alsаt v-Boxes can have quite a loud hum after a few years use (remember they are switched on 24 hours per day & 365 days per year - so they get well used)

cwebb66
12-12-13, 23:55
All enigma2 boxes will control any v-Box. Also all Images will work fine. You just change the channel with your receiver's remote control, and this sends a signal to the v-Box to move the dish to the correct satellite.

But it is probably the most complicated thing you have to set up with your new enigma2 box - when you have successfully set up your v-Box, everything else will be easy!

Before you buy the old Alsаt version v-Box I would ask if there are any other models available. Those old Alsаt v-Boxes can have quite a loud hum after a few years use (remember they are switched on 24 hours per day & 365 days per year - so they get well used)

I can confirm it works with the vu box , not sure on the second tuner though as I only have one connected at the moment so iam not sure if the second one will work with it as a loopthrough or same as tuner A

josephine5899
13-12-13, 00:23
Thanks for that cwebb66, what Image are you using with your DUO, and which model v-box.

cwebb66
13-12-13, 20:07
Thanks for that cwebb66, what Image are you using with your DUO, and which model v-box.

vix image and alsat g box 500