View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] trying to view files on my pc via my network

moogwai
07-12-13, 16:16
hi guys,

ive connected my vu to my pc doing this,

1. menu > setup > system > Network > Mount Manager
2. Add a new network mount point
3. Active - yes
local share name - nas (you can call it anything you like)
mount type - CIFS share
server IP - (enter PC IP here)
server share - /vu (make sure you include the /)
username - vu
password - vu
4.Press OK

and I can see my duo on my network on my pc and wondered where I should see my pc on my duo?

cheers

craig37
07-12-13, 17:11
I used samba to set mine up, if its the same your should see your Pc's details in Menu/Setup/System/Network/ and then network browser, make sure you've shared your drive on your Pc or you'll not see anything as well as making your home group the same..? Using Samba it needs to be called VIX

Hope this helps

Just found this thread from Maxwell http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15974-How-To-Setting-up-Windows-Network-Share

moogwai
07-12-13, 20:04
Whats the homegroup?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

craig37
07-12-13, 22:12
The home group is the name you use to make a home network.. You can change the network name from VIX to whatever you like Check out this link http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?32931-How-to-setup-Samba-correcty-for-Windows-7&highlight=samba

What version of windows are you running? Just search Workgroup on your PC

deleted
07-12-13, 22:21
I would like to suggest to first update you image, Vix build #3 is oooold, ancient history, update to 796

moogwai
08-12-13, 11:18
The home group is the name you use to make a home network.. You can change the network name from VIX to whatever you like Check out this link http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?32931-How-to-setup-Samba-correcty-for-Windows-7&highlight=samba

What version of windows are you running? Just search Workgroup on your PC

Im running windows 7 ultimate, I think because im not really computer literate I need to understand the terminology being used!!

I am running build 797, it didnt show when I put it in the info box when I started the thread.....only had the box a few days, upgraded from my original duo.....never really played about with them before, always just used them as a receiver!!

Appreciate your help guys.

craig37
08-12-13, 12:10
Opposed to getting you editing samba settings in your box. On you PC go START and in the search bar type "change workgroup name" this will open another box, click on change at the bottom and rename it to "VIX" I'm assuming you don't have any sort of PC home network set up? Reboot your machine.. Make sure you have enable Samba on you sat box. After reboot on you PC go to Network and see if your box is listed. You might be biting off a little more than you can chew although everyone has to start somewhere... You can also view your sat box through Openwebif. All you have have to do is type in your sat box's IP address in your internet address bar

moogwai
08-12-13, 13:04
Opposed to getting you editing samba settings in your box. On you PC go START and in the search bar type "change workgroup name" this will open another box, click on change at the bottom and rename it to "VIX" I'm assuming you don't have any sort of PC home network set up? Reboot your machine.. Make sure you have enable Samba on you sat box. After reboot on you PC go to Network and see if your box is listed. You might be biting off a little more than you can chew although everyone has to start somewhere... You can also view your sat box through Openwebif. All you have have to do is type in your sat box's IP address in your internet address bar

I do have a network set up and like I said in original post can see the duo2 on the network as well as transferring files to the duo2 to watch (not ftp'ing them to box, but drag and drop)
All im trying to acheive is to be able to connect to/see my pc on my duo2 so I dont have to transfer a file to the duo2 everytime I want to watch something I have downloaded.

In network/mounts set up/mount manager/mount viewer I can see my pc
And in browse network neighbourhood I can see my duo2 ip address as well as my pc's ip address....but dont know where/how to get into my pc to see the files I want to watch.

Samba is enabled on my box and if it makes things better I have enabled nfs in my windows7 so could use this.

I hope ive made that a little clearer, and I am quite good at following instructions.

Thanks again.

craig37
08-12-13, 19:05
Ok messed around a bit today, have found using my old laptop running windows XP i can see my laptop and its hard drive, how ever i can't see it listed anywhere apart from in network browser..? so not sure where to go from here, windows 7 needs more permissions ?

BubbleBalls
08-12-13, 20:27
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?t=33754

Tapatalker

craig37
08-12-13, 20:45
Already read that thanks, point is i can see my drive on my system but you cant get in to it, Ive all ready changed all my workgroup settings. The end result here is to see a Pc's hard drive on the sat box and being able too access it. Im just about there but cant get in it

abu baniaz
08-12-13, 20:53
Posted in error as guide applies to receiver to receiver.

Sorry.

craig37
08-12-13, 21:12
No problem Thanks

abu baniaz
08-12-13, 21:31
Have you added the bookmark to your network share?

When in list of movies, press yellow for location. The list of stored bookmarks will be listed, press Menu to switch to filelist. Once you selct the network share it will automatically be in your list of locations.

craig37
08-12-13, 22:19
Thanks for that, not seeing the network share though, I;m guessing i should be finding the drive in media/net/ ?

moogwai
09-12-13, 00:19
Think im just gonna give up as it seems that it cant be done!! Its one of those annoying things thats gonna get right everyones nerves!! Lol.
Will keep my eye out for developments though..... Thanks for your efforts lads :)

Rob van der Does
09-12-13, 07:44
Of course it can be done. Giving up won't help though ......

fizzz33
09-12-13, 11:36
You have to mark the folder on the compiter as a share. Then mount the PC Workgroup on your VU with blue button x 2 Network brouse and mountpoints (I'm not quite sure where you would find Network Brouse and Mountpoints on the VIX image as I use something else). You have to enable CIF share in there and set it up. Do a scan and set up your shares in there on the wlan or lan. Its only any use for mounting a pc movie folder or something like that, you wont see the full pc unless folders are marked as a share. Saying that I found it difficult to set up and use.

craig37
09-12-13, 11:40
Good news, Have managed to mount a drive using Windows XP. Will report back when I,ve actually worked out how I've done it..:rolleyes: Still not seeing anything with windows 7

craig37
09-12-13, 13:39
Windows 7 proving tiresome.. I'm happy that my network is okay due to the fact I can mount a drive using windows XP. I can see the drive when I go to my HDD and then press yellow locations then menu I can see and watch/see pictures.SO network works groups are ok.

Windows 7 I create a new user as suggested as vu and password as vu, I've also changed windows sharing network password but no matter what configurations I've tried, i can't get windows seven to mount ?

moogwai
09-12-13, 14:31
Windows 7 proving tiresome.. I'm happy that my network is okay due to the fact I can mount a drive using windows XP. I can see the drive when I go to my HDD and then press yellow locations then menu I can see and watch/see pictures.SO network works groups are ok.

Windows 7 I create a new user as suggested as vu and password as vu, I've also changed windows sharing network password but no matter what configurations I've tried, i can't get windows seven to mount ?

Oh man....deffo a win7 prob then, its gonna be something stupid like it always is! I'd leave it for a bit if I were you before you throw it out of the window! Lol. I appreciate all the effort you are putting in mate.

craig37
09-12-13, 14:55
Hold the Phone ...! I've done it ..! Now asking the question why did I want too lol .!

NOTES:- My config for windows 7
1st
Ensure that your "workgroup" name is the same on you sat box as it is on your PC. From build 797 I believe Andy has set it too WORKGROUP mine is set up as VIX, you can make this anything you like as long as they are the same. To test using windows 7 Just go into my computer and click on network on the left hand side and you sound be able to a list of computers on the network. Your box should be there.
2nd
You must ensure you know your computer name Go to Computer and system properties and scroll to the bottom. Mines called "Craig" ignore computers description, just full name is important Case sensitive.
3rd
Sharing your files on windows 7 is essential. I did share several files but the only one that appeared to work was "Users" If you have another pc add it the network and make sure you can access the files on the other pc . As you access them you will be able to see how far you can go down through the folders. If you don't have full access you will have to go back a share the folders individually. Its a pain. Once you happy your can access the desired folders from your other pc then you Might be able to get it to work on your box LOL
4th
On your box Menu/setup / system/network/.. Now I do have samba enabled u share,ftp,nfs and telnet setup. Whether I need them all or not I don't know. In network/Mounts setup/ network browser and hit yellow button, your pc should be listed. If not your you've got something wrong. Pay close attention to you computer name E.g mines says "CRAIG" but my computer name is "Craig" If you click ok on it you'd expect to see your drive but YOU WON'T even when configured you WON'T see it .
5th
In mounts setup got to Mount Manager, add network.
Mount using FSTAB(mount as boot)
Active enable
Local share..........UsersCraig .... This is mine Be very careful here case sensitive This is shared folder and computer name
Mount type..........CIFS share
Server IP.............0.0.0.0....... This is the IP of your PC
Share server.........Users........ This is mine Be very careful here case sensitive This is shared folder name
Use as HDD..........No..........Don't change to yes or your HDD dissappears
Mount options......rw,utf8......... I've never changed this
User name...........guest.......system created this its self
password............... *........system created this its self

Press green to safe and yes to over write
If your user name isn't guest change mount type to NFS and save then go back and change to CIFS and then save Should populate then

Exit back to network browser and do a rescan you still WON'T see the drive in browse Now click on mount manager and Mount points . Hopefully you will see a drive list. If its green on the left its worked. if its got a little red circle with a cross in it, It hasn't

If successful back out to normal tv Press Hdd button to view your recordings then press yellow for locations THEN press menu then switch to file list then to Parent then to list of list of storage devices and hey presto it should be shown.

Hope someone else manages to get this to work, I think the main problem is defo the sharing of folders in windows 7 and user names and folders

Oh P.s if you shut down your pc while still browsing in locations your box will lock. You also have to turn on SETUP UP MOUNT which is in Mount manager You may also have to rescan when you first switch on your PC . Not got that far yet but can see issues arising

Thanks for all you guys help on my issues over the past few months ,hopefully my help here is helpful to you

P.s Why did i want to do this again lol :lifting::thumbsup::D

P.P.s When you go to record something you can change the target directory by location and then menu button to allow saving to PC'S

fizzz33
09-12-13, 14:58
If you log in to your router and set the VU box with a static IP address with W7 you should be able to see your VU listed in Windows Explorer under Network it will only show you the basic shared files. Sometimes it takes a bit to show. I don't think there is any reason to create a new user or rename anything.
If you can get the box to show in Windows Explorer you should be able to mount your PC in Network Brouse and Mountpoints on your box. Like I said its a bit tricky to set up as you need to get the settings right and it will only mount 1 directory like Movies or Music for each directory you woud need to create a mount.

craig37
09-12-13, 15:25
I've not had an issue seeing the VU box. This was to be able to see the PC on the VU box. Moogwai wanted to be able to watch stuff he'd recorded on his pc on the TV

abu baniaz
09-12-13, 16:15
If you log in to your router and set the VU box with a static IP address.....

Much better to reserve IP addresses if possible. That way the devcies can remain on DHCP and still have a static IP address.

craig37
09-12-13, 16:46
I do have that done too. My IP address's don't change, but its a good point to make as sometimes if your router is restarted IP address's can change and that would impact on the network connections

moogwai
10-12-13, 00:16
Well played craig!! I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back, not had chance today due to a nagging wife and 12 week old who would cry as soon as I put her down!! :thumbdown:

moogwai
10-12-13, 03:17
wow this is getting on my nerves now!!! for some reason I now cant see my duo2 on my network on my pc!!! and I don't know why!! I can ftp and log into my duo2 via my web browser so don't why I cant see it in my network!! grrrr..:mad:

Rob van der Does
10-12-13, 06:02
Samba has been installed?

moogwai
10-12-13, 08:56
Samba has been installed?

Yes, and set to "WORKGROUP" to match my pc.

craig37
10-12-13, 09:48
Double check your box has saved the changed name. No spaces in it or anything daft like that. Also when your in network on your PC just click on the refresh button at the top. My box sometimes disappeared from the network screen but after clicking refresh and waiting a minute it returned.. May the (Patience) be with you,,,:smash: