PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Ethernet over HDMI CABLE ?

BRAVEHEART
06-12-13, 21:59
I have a laptop with the latest HDMI output port on it and therefore I can play movies direct from my USB stick that is plugged into my laptop straight onto my HD TV.

The thing is, I would like to keep the laptop maybe 5 or 6 meters or so away from the tv as I don't want it cluttering the place up and the cable will only be used once in a while when watching a movie which isn't that often.

Anyway, I have been reading up and from what I read is I need a "High Speed Ethernet over HDMI CABLE" because seemingly they are meant to be the best of the best HDMI cables, correct ?

Ok that's one question.

Other question is, how long can the cable be so that there is no degrade in picture quality ?

I know that with some types of different cabling you can start to lose picture quality if you go just too long etc, I have no idea if this is the case with these types of cables though.

Anyways, I thank you firstly for any people that have a spare few seconds to answer my questions if you know the answers.

Thank you :thumbsup:

p.s
I would be really greatful if anyone could maybe supply a link or two to the correct product I need, makes things a lot easier that way, I am in the UK by the way if that helps, thanks again.

p.p.s
I don't want to pay stupid money either as I have also heard that there is totally no need for expensive cables when talking about half decent "High Speed Ethernet over HDMI CABLES", cheap may be fine, medium price is probably better, but expensive there is no need at all, I do know that much, I just wanted to say incase someone recommended an extremely cheap one or extremely expensive one, lol.

Clabs
06-12-13, 22:21
Mate - don't be misled - you don't need an expensive HDMI cable. An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable - the signal is digital and you either get a picture or you don't. Just buy an ordinary 6m cable from ebay and you will be fine.

Before the remotestreamconvert plugin was available we were piping 1080i/p signals to other tvs round the house via £30 20M HDMI cables and it worked fine.

BRAVEHEART
06-12-13, 22:29
Mate - don't be misled - you don't need an expensive HDMI cable. An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable - the signal is digital and you either get a picture or you don't. Just buy an ordinary 6m cable from ebay and you will be fine.

Before the remotestreamconvert plugin was available we were piping 1080i/p signals to other tvs round the house via £30 20M HDMI cables and it worked fine.

Yea, sorry mate, I added that part into my post just as you added you post too, lol, about the prices etc, lol.

But what about if I want the very latest HDMI HIGH SPEED OVER INTERNET cables ? I heard and read they are supposed to be defo the best and I know that HDMI has changed over the years, I.E - the output or whatever it is called has been upgraded although older type cables still work on new equipment, but I am guessing its just best to go with the very newest and latest types of cables if your TV's and computers etc also have the latest HDMI support to, know what I mean ?

See here >>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

I tried to read that and I got lost man, lol.

Thanks Clabs and I appreciate your prompt response mate :)

p.s
is it an female to female end I need on the cables, hmmm, now I think about it, if the laptop has an output and the tv an input them one end would need to be a male and other end female, correct ???

Clabs
06-12-13, 22:38
No worries mate.

The high speed ethernet over HDMI cables are for the very newest devices that support an ethernet channel.

It is your money but trust me, you will just need a reasonably priced 6m male to male cable. I wouldn't pay more than a tenner.

BRAVEHEART
06-12-13, 23:41
Could you recommend one please mate going on what hardware I have, its just an Asus X55C Laptop ( http://www.asus.com/uk/supportonly/X55C/#support_Download ) and a Panasonic Plasma ( http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50G10 ) that will tell you exactly what they both can do, I am not sure but I believe that the laptops hdmi support is slightly more up to date than the Tv's.

Thanks again Clabs mate :) :thumbsup:

p.s
not long had the laptop, so its pretty new, and the TV is only a few years old at most but nearly top of its range at the time of purchase.

BRAVEHEART
09-12-13, 02:06
hmmm, wonder if this means I can just use an older type of HDMI cable for more modern versions of HDMI support ? anyone know please ? I don't want to order some rubbish cable only to find that it would have been better to get one for the latest version of HDMI support etc, know what I mean ? :confused:

BubbleBalls
09-12-13, 02:30
Clabs advice is good. Don't get caught up with overpriced cables.

Tapatalker

BRAVEHEART
09-12-13, 02:58
Clabs advice is good. Don't get caught up with overpriced cables.

Tapatalker

I get that part mate cheers :) , but what I am trying to figure out is the difference with the very first types of HDMI cables were sold as compared to now that we have much newer versions (updated) of HDMI on our devices, surely that has to make a difference with the cables too for better picture quality, you not think ?

To me its like fitting a part on a car, one is the old part and one is the brand new part which is updated because there has been an update in the computer system of the Car, you see what I am thinking now ? :)

BubbleBalls
09-12-13, 03:10
I think hdmi is now on v.2 but maybe wrong. If I remember correctly v1.4 is required for HD 3D (which is quite a high spec) so min I would personally go for is 1.4. And pretty much all recent leads are 1.4.

This info is from my memory so might be wrong as it has been awhile since I checked it - cables I bought from ALDI for €7 carries a 1080p active 3D signal flawlessly.

Tapatalker

BRAVEHEART
09-12-13, 03:16
I think hdmi is now on v.2 but maybe wrong. If I remember correctly v1.4 is required for HD 3D (which is quite a high spec) so min I would personally go for is 1.4. And pretty much all recent leads are 1.4.

This info is from my memory so might be wrong as it has been awhile since I checked it - cables I bought from ALDI for €7 carries a 1080p active 3D signal flawlessly.

Tapatalker

Yea, one of my New Tv's has HD 3D and its a top range TV (a great Sony Model), so I guess then I would need to make sure the cable supports 1.4 then, that's where I get confused, lol, pretty easy to get confused nowdays with the amount of upgrades and new tech coming out on the market etc etc :) Well it is for me, lol :confused:

Rob van der Does
09-12-13, 06:14
That is not (completely) correct. Indeed: for a short distance the quality of an HDMI-cable is not that important (I'm using some cables of only €5 here).
But for longer distances you can easily get problems: the delay in the cable can become too big and even interference between the leads can occur. For this it's also important to know what streamrate is being transported (1080p video + 7.1 audio can be too much).
Also don't be mislead by the magic word 'digital': a digital signal can just as easy be destroyed as an analogue one.

BRAVEHEART
09-12-13, 06:34
That is not (completely) correct. Indeed: for a short distance the quality of an HDMI-cable is not that important (I'm using some cables of only €5 here).
But for longer distances you can easily get problems: the delay in the cable can become too big and even interference between the leads can occur. For this it's also important to know what streamrate is being transported (1080p video + 7.1 audio can be too much).
Also don't be mislead by the magic word 'digital': a digital signal can just as easy be destroyed as an analogue one.

Thanks mate, can you recommend a cable for me to purchase in my case then in the UK please ? It will be playing Blue Ray and HD 1080p Movies a lot of the time from the Laptop that I posted up the model link of earlier etc and it will be connected to the TV that I also posted up the link to too, although that is a slightly older tv than one of the TV's which is a brand new top spec Sony smart TV with HD 3D etc, some of the movies I guess will have surround sound, but most of the time we listen in normal stereo as I don't use the Surround sound system very much at all, the normal stereo speakers on the TV's usually do the job good enough for us, I just don't want to lose picture degration, that's all I am concerned about really.

The cable length I would need is approx 6 meters, preferably maybe 1 meter longer, so preferably 7 meters although I think 6 meters would do if it has to be that length for the perfect benefit etc (if any difference to benefits).

let me know mate, thanks, cheers :thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
09-12-13, 06:39
Nope, sorry, I can't.
Have you considered wireless HDMI? Or does the cable over the floor in the living not bother you?

BRAVEHEART
09-12-13, 06:48
Nope, sorry, I can't.
Have you considered wireless HDMI? Or does the cable over the floor in the living not bother you?

no, cable across the floor is fine as it will only be used once every few weeks, so that doesn't bother us at all, after that it will just get uplugged and put in the drawer till the next time :)

Trial
09-12-13, 09:51
Hi,
just for information. Ethernet and sound is protected by checksums over HDMI pictures are not. If you have a bad cable/connection it starts with pixel in wrong color, mostly white, or audio drop outs. So even if it is digital you can still have errors. It is not 0 and 1 it can also be 99% OK and 1% NOK.

The amazon basics cables are often a good compromise between quality and prize.

ciao

seame
09-12-13, 13:14
Can you not simply plug your USB stick into your Sony smart TV and view from there?

Any HDMI 1.4 cable should work fine for blu rays and 3d movies. HDMI 2.0 is coming soon, if not already released, it won't be of any immediate benefit to you but it might come in handy if Sony allows your TV to be upgraded to view 4k stuff.

Micromecca
09-12-13, 15:45
Yea, one of my New Tv's has HD 3D and its a top range TV (a great Sony Model), so I guess then I would need to make sure the cable supports 1.4 then

Only if the source is True 3D (Not SBS), requires ARC (Audio Return Channel) or you need Ethernet over HDMI

You can see the differences between the HDMI Standard Revisions on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison)

As already stated, any basic HDMI v1.4 cable will do the job, at the end of the day being digital they are only transferring 1's & 0's so no fancy ass cable is going to increase the picture quality.

I have ran 1080P (HDMI 1.3) over 15 meters with no problems whatsoever so if you are only watching 2D 1080P content from your laptop you will certainly have no problems whatsoever with a budget 6m HDMI 1.4 cable.

BRAVEHEART
09-12-13, 22:11
thanks to all you guys :), Looks like I will just be buying an HDMI 1.4 cable then and hopefully maybe be able to get a 7 meter one rather than a 6 meter, but a 6 meter one will be ok too :)

@ seame, its not so much for the Sony tv mate, its is more-so for the Panasonic one like I posted the link to earlier in the thread, and that don't play movies off usb sticks unfortunately or else problem would be solved, lol, think the sony one does though as you say, thanks mate :)

Rob van der Does
10-12-13, 06:33
As already stated, any basic HDMI v1.4 cable will do the job,....
That's correct: as long as the cable has been correctly classified as 1,4 it will work.

....at the end of the day being digital they are only transferring 1's & 0's....
Apparently you have no idea what can go wrong in transferring a signal at a high datarate.

.... so no fancy ass cable is going to increase the picture quality.
Of course no cable could possibly enhance the signal :confused:

Micromecca
16-12-13, 23:53
Apparently you have no idea what can go wrong in transferring a signal at a high datarate.

The only thing that is apparent here is that your assumption is incorrect.
I am more than aware of what 'can' go wrong with incorrectly implemented digital interfaces, I just don't consider any of them to be applicable to this scenario.
I am sure that if the OP had an issue with a HDMI cable it would be immediately obvious and manifest itself as a snowy, flashing or blank display.

Martin

Rob van der Does
17-12-13, 06:23
I have no idea what you want to tell me.
It is very clear that HDMI cables can cause issues. The marking 'HDMI 1.4' is easily made but not always honoured. And on long cables this can cause problems. And a 'snowy, flashing' display is not amongst the know signs of such an issue; blocking is.
The general statement that in the transport of a digital signal nothing can go wrong is utterly wrong.

Short cables, say up to 5 m, will seldom give any issue, whatever the quality. The longer the cable, and the more complex the signal (high resolution video&audio), the higher the chances are that problems occur.

Having said that: in OP's case I would just buy a cheap cable (as I always do for short ones) and see how it goes.

dell620
17-12-13, 16:05
It is your money but trust me, you will just need a reasonably priced 6m male to male cable. I wouldn't pay more than a tenner.

BRAVEHEART
09-02-14, 23:07
I meant to say, I ended up buying one of these just to make sure I was "future proof" and it works 100% perfect, great quality cable man :) >>>
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LQ83EI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (p.s, its 25ft = 7.6200meters).