PDA

View Full Version : bricked?

edinburger
03-12-13, 19:37
I have a vu solo, might be a clone..? wife hit update on box, it went black screen, i have tried reflashing it goes through motions etc then flashes green, but nothing comes up, still black screen..?

Larry-G
03-12-13, 20:00
you posted in the solo2 section so is it a solo2 or a solo ?.

edinburger
03-12-13, 20:24
you posted in the solo2 section so is it a solo2 or a solo ?.

Solo i think,,whats the difference? its a vu solo single tuner

Larry-G
03-12-13, 20:47
yes the solo is a single tuner, the solo2 is a twin but with a new CPU more flash and memory and other enhancements etc.

As your unsure if the unit is a clone we should concentrate on establishing if it is indeed a clone or not before going any further.

Donnie
03-12-13, 21:42
I have a vu solo, might be a clone..? wife hit update on box, it went black screen, i have tried reflashing it goes through motions etc then flashes green, but nothing comes up, still black screen..?
Use the search feature to establish if you have a clone, if you have throw it in a skip and buy a proper box.
If you have a genuine box it can be recovered.

edinburger
03-12-13, 22:28
Use the search feature to establish if you have a clone, if you have throw it in a skip and buy a proper box.
If you have a genuine box it can be recovered.

Hi, juat checked against others,its an original vu i also asked the seller, and confirmed it..how can i recover it/?

judge
03-12-13, 22:31
Try an older build from http://openvix.co.uk, if that works & the latest ones don't, the chance is you have a clone & support will end there, sorry.

Rob van der Does
04-12-13, 06:27
Solo i think,,whats the difference? its a vu solo single tuner
Moved to the correct section.

Donnie
04-12-13, 19:23
Hi, juat checked against others,its an original vu i also asked the seller, and confirmed it..how can i recover it/?ate

If you have an original and it had an old image it may just require a CFE update, which you will find on the board or on the official VU+ homepage.

Larry-G
04-12-13, 19:26
you can download the CFE otherwise known as the bootloader from here,

http://openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/

Make sure you only use the one for the Vu+ Solo, if you flash the wrong one it will kill the receiver, the flashing process is the same as for the image via USB.

edinburger
04-12-13, 22:14
What is a bootloader, and what does it do?

pac2000
22-02-14, 20:48
CFE/Bootloader From Wiki...

Common Firmware Environment (CFE), pronounce it 'cafe', is a firmware interface and bootloader developed by Broadcom for 32-bit and 64-bit system-on-a-chip (SOC) systems. It is intended to be a flexible toolkit of CPU initialization and bootstrap code for use on embedded processors (typically running on MIPS32/64 instruction set cpu's found in Broadcom SoC's). It is roughly analogous to the BIOS on the IBM PC platform. Its source-code is available on Open source license from Broadcom. Common embedded system alternatives include Das U-Boot.

Its main responsibility is to initialize CPU's, caches, memory controllers, and peripherals required early on in the power on stage. It typically incorporates several built-in device drivers for SOC peripherals, it has several console choices, including serial ports, ROM emulators, JTAG, etc. Just like in other boot loaders environment, variables are commonly configured in persistent storage to create auto boot options. It also has support for network bootstrap.