PDA

View Full Version : Duo 2 as a media player?

freestyler
03-12-13, 08:42
I currently have Max Digital xp 1000 box and while it will play most video formats from my NAS it will struggle with some mkv files and not others for some reason.

My question is to someone who owns a Duo 2 and play video from network storage is can these play just about anything thrown at it? I assume its down to the cpu on my xp1000.

Thanks

Simon.

Rob van der Does
03-12-13, 09:07
The CPU of a STB plays no role in video-playback. All, even the latest 1.3GHz variety, have by far not enough power to decode video.
Video-decoding in a STB is done in hardware. Hence you see a CPU-usage of around only 2% during playback. So the DUO2 will have equal playback capabilities as the XP1000 (OK, slightly better as the box has more RAM).

So for video-playback you have 2 options:
1- either take care that all files have been coded correctly. Most files 'found' on the internet are not. You can use a program like 'Handbrake' to convert files (preferably using the H264 codec). Or
2- use a dedicated mediaplayer. Just like a PC codec can be added, so they eat (almost) everything (at the cost of an extra device/wiring/RC).

Trial
03-12-13, 09:30
Hi,
check your problematic files if they contain sub-titles and if yes remove them for a test. Gstreamer, the part which is responsible for playback, seems to have problems with some sub-titles or perhaps with a to large number of sub-titles.

ciao

freestyler
03-12-13, 09:48
Thanks both. I was trying to justify replacing my xp1000 with a vu duo2 and selling the revo behind my tv so I had one box only. Since the revo plays anything I may as well stick with my current set up.

The xp1000 is a decent box especially for the money but I do miss my old duo with regards recording capabilities.

AJT
03-12-13, 12:46
Hi i have a Duo 2.What i do is download a full HD movie(blu ray) convert it to MKV or download as a MKV format and ftp to my hard drive on box and play from there.fantastic playback never had a problem doing it that way.One thing i do notice is the audio is quite low so need to crank up the volume but apart from that playback is perfect.
I have not tried other formats as i know this works so stick with it and formatting to MKV keeps the quality.

A good free and fast video converter is FREEMAKE takes about 10 mins to convert a 1080p file to mkv.

Rob van der Does
03-12-13, 12:59
MKV is a container, so that doesn't say anything about the codec used.
Also for MKV the same applies: using the correct codec (i.e. a codec supported by the SoC of the box) the file will play fine.

freestyler
03-12-13, 15:28
I think I will stick with my Plex HT revo setup as it plays any format I can find with ease.

I just thought it would simplify my setup having one box.

Thanks guys.

AJT
04-12-13, 10:57
I think I will stick with my Plex HT revo setup as it plays any format I can find with ease.

I just thought it would simplify my setup having one box.

Thanks guys.

Mate there is nothing simpler for me downloading a movie and ftp to my hard drive.I have 4 or 5 sitting there waiting.
also i like you can stop a playback any time and it always starts back from that point.I can get full 1080p movie in MKV format at around 700mb so the size is good as well.

AJT
04-12-13, 11:00
MKV is a container, so that doesn't say anything about the codec used.
Also for MKV the same applies: using the correct codec (i.e. a codec supported by the SoC of the box) the file will play fine.

I know.i checked before to ensure box could playback MKV.for me its a great format.small file size retaining the quality and box plays them perfectly..

Rob van der Does
04-12-13, 11:11
I know.i checked before to ensure box could playback MKV.for me its a great format.small file size retaining the quality and box plays them perfectly..
Again: MKV is only a container. So the quality and file-size are dependant on the codec used (not on the container). And so is the ability of an STB to play the file.

moogwai
05-12-13, 11:10
so let me get this straight.....whether I download a blue ray mkv file of 8gb or 1gb the actual quality of what I will be watching wont be any different?? have I been dl'ing the massive files for no reason?? lol!!

Trial
05-12-13, 11:57
Hi,

so let me get this straight.....whether I download a blue ray mkv file of 8gb or 1gb the actual quality of what I will be watching wont be any different?? have I been dl'ing the massive files for no reason?? lol!!
of course not:-) Even 8GB has not the max. possible quality. Best quality will be get with 30-40GB which is the original size on a BR.

ciao

Rob van der Does
05-12-13, 12:06
Nope, I never said that. The codec used influences picture-quality as well as the file-size. The container used (MKV/AVI) is of no importance.
And in general terms: the better the quality, the bigger the file. Best is to use always the H264 codec.

moogwai
05-12-13, 12:12
ahh.....I see. not very technical me!! so as with everything...the bigger the better!! lol