PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Issues after latest update

hyperjase
02-12-13, 22:27
I performed an in-box update yesterday (really will have to stop, causes me more problems than it solves!)After I had to switch off twice before it would finally boot correctly, it had screwed up all my mounts. The USB was now showing as the HDD and the HDD was showing as HDB. It took for me to unplug the USB, reboot, software update via Telnet before it actually sorted itself out. It was a right royal pain in the arse, and this seems to be each time I update.

Also found another issue tonight... the "All Channels" problem is back (somehow caused by the EPG - I have NO idea how to replicate it, but my Mrs is fantastic at doing it!). But I couldn't do ANYTHING, except turn it off by the switch. I noticed then my ethernet port wasn't working. On the Info page -> Network, no network info showed whatsoever. I did a reboot and then it showed up again.I'm finding it hard to keep up with updates and then again the fall out they cause after the update.

Is it just me or does anyone else have these issues?

judge
02-12-13, 22:31
The questions on opening a new post are there for a reason...
If folks can't be bothered answering them all, why should anyone help?

Anyway, did you ever have TS panel installed?
What was the last build number you did a fresh flash on?

hyperjase
02-12-13, 22:37
Apologies for the oversight I got the impression the former forum was for asking support questions. I know for future now though.

I've never had TS Panel installed (I have no clue what it is) and it will have been about 6 - 7 builds prior for last clean flash. It appears I've not kept very well up to date with updates.

hyperjase
03-12-13, 00:17
Not sure what's going on but I was watching something via MiniDLNA but the network interface screwed up and I had to reboot the box. Getting pretty sick of this unreliability. Will reflash clean tomorrow yet again to see if that solves the issues.

Why am I experiencing so many issues??

Larry-G
03-12-13, 00:23
Not sure what's going on but I was watching something via MiniDLNA but the network interface screwed up and I had to reboot the box. Getting pretty sick of this unreliability. Will reflash clean tomorrow yet again to see if that solves the issues.

Why am I experiencing so many issues??

no one can answer that if you dont provide us with debug and crash logs of the various incidents. As i said in your last post i personally operate eight receivers on various ViX builds from 760 on wards to 793 and rarely if ever have issues as your describing and when things do go wrong it's a simple matter of reflashing and setting up again, literally a ten minute process.

I know my reply is of no help to you but i am not seeing the same instabilities you seem to be, so we need you to submit as many logs as possible with detailed reports when things do go wrong, so that we can help find out why it's happening.

hyperjase
03-12-13, 08:39
I shall dig my logs out later hopefully through the updates the log option has remained enabled.

hyperjase
03-12-13, 09:06
I have a couple of crash logs from the past few days, hopefully this will help figure out why it's so buggy.

I've noticed that I struggle to update/reflash perfectly as each time it'll freeze on reboot and I'll have to turn it off and on again. I think that may be part of the problem. I have re-set up logging again on the hard drive, was stored in flash previously. That also may cause problems I think. I don't have any other logs apart from these crash ones, hopefully they shed some light on the issues.

Rob van der Does
03-12-13, 09:25
One of your logs suggests a driver issue, the other one indicates that a flash without restore might be a good idea.

Be aware that the DUO is now a box of an older generation with not very much RAM. It may be a good idea to activate a swap-file to help the box a bit (use the swap-manager for that).

I have here some 10 boxes running ViX, including a DUO, all being regularly updated and I hardly ever experience a serious issue.

hyperjase
03-12-13, 18:23
One of your logs suggests a driver issue, the other one indicates that a flash without restore might be a good idea.

I usually do a re-flash without a restore, as I'm aware this can induce problems, but I mentioned earlier than sometimes after a flash it will just freeze (can be 30+ mins) and have to turn off-on to get it working

Be aware that the DUO is now a box of an older generation with not very much RAM. It may be a good idea to activate a swap-file to help the box a bit (use the swap-manager for that).

I have a swap file (512mb) set up on the Hard Drive, I've never been able to get this working through the swap manager, I've had to create manually through Telnet. But once it exists, the swap manager finds the file OK. I just put this down to a bug of some description.

I have here some 10 boxes running ViX, including a DUO, all being regularly updated and I hardly ever experience a serious issue.

This is just my luck then! I work in IT and are familiar with this sort of thing and for me, it has been a problematic experience - I'm sure there is something explainable here which is the cause.

On a side note, I did note down that there was some corrupt(?) blocks on the Flash, could that cause these issues?

I shall re-flash to the latest build, without a restore and see how it goes from there. I'm just very cautious as I've had to re-initialise my hard drive before and I have a lot of recorded stuff on there I don't want to lose.

Rob van der Does
03-12-13, 18:28
Bad blocks in flash are normal and won't do any harm.
There is no need to initialise the HDD.
Important in activating the swap-file is to set 'swappiness=0'. The swapmanager does that (but of course that can also be done via telnet).

Larry-G
I usually do a re-flash without a restore, as I'm aware this can induce problems, but I mentioned earlier than sometimes after a flash it will just freeze (can be 30+ mins) and have to turn off-on to get it working

Can you elaborate a little more on that ?, as it could be indicative of the infamous capacitor / RED led of death issue.

Rob van der Does
Can you elaborate a little more on that ?, as it could be indicative of the infamous capacitor / RED led of death issue.
Very well possible indeed.

hyperjase
03-12-13, 18:32
Where do I set swappiness=0? Is that within swap manager or via telnet/ftp?

Rob van der Does
03-12-13, 18:35
If you activate the swap via the swapmanager this is done for you.

hyperjase
04-12-13, 20:36
I'm having major issues even attempting to re-flash (and I know I can do it via USB but that for me isn't reliable either) - I've had to reboot the box around 5 -6 times in the last 20 minutes. The network connection isn't enabling and I can't download the latest build to flash. When I did start previously, "Starting" was showing on the display and NONE of the buttons on the remote did anything. Then after switching it off and back on again, it booted but I got a red light and it totally locked up.

Think I'll return it as faulty ... it has to be a fault with the box itself, it just isn't reliable at all.

Larry-G
04-12-13, 20:39
I'm having major issues even attempting to re-flash (and I know I can do it via USB but that for me isn't reliable either) - I've had to reboot the box around 5 -6 times in the last 20 minutes. The network connection isn't enabling and I can't download the latest build to flash. When I did start previously, "Starting" was showing on the display and NONE of the buttons on the remote did anything. Then after switching it off and back on again, it booted but I got a red light and it totally locked up.

Think I'll return it as faulty ... it has to be a fault with the box itself, it just isn't reliable at all.

so i will ask you again.

Also how old is the receiver ?.

hyperjase
04-12-13, 20:41
About 4 months old.

Could a dodgy capacitor cause these wierd issues? Network going down ... locks up .. not booting fully ... not booting at all after a flash?

Sorry I've just had so little luck making this work smoothly I've lost faith in it.

hyperjase
04-12-13, 20:41
(I bought it at the end of August 2013)

hyperjase
04-12-13, 20:45
I think my above post may cause confusion. The last thing I said was the red light was on and it locked up. I switched off and on again and finally I have it in a working state - I'm going to reflash from fresh and from USB (provided the USB socket works ok on the front!)

Apologies for confuddlement.

hyperjase
04-12-13, 20:47
Sorry for multiple postings ... I didn't see your reply regarding the Capacitor issue as above, I've just spotted those posts now.

Is it worth looking at this route? Could it very well be explained by this? I hope so for my own sanity :)

Larry-G
04-12-13, 20:51
if it's a brand new receiver then it should not be suffering from the capacitor related issues as the affected capacitors were phased out and replaced, where did you purchase the receiver ?.

hyperjase
04-12-13, 20:58
world-of-satellite.co.uk - I'm currently trying to flash from USB but each time I turn it on, I can see it flashes up "Reading USB" but then carries on with "Starting" ... for whatever reason it's struggling to pick up the USB (I have placed the vuplus folder in the root of the USB stick, formatted FAT32). If I can finally get it to read, I'm flashing to 796.

I'm just so confused as to why I'm having so many issues.

hyperjase
04-12-13, 21:07
Here ya go ... prior to the flashing this is one occurrence of it screwed up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2N-T0mbQNM
(Private video, not listed)

hyperjase
04-12-13, 21:16
I've sucessfully flashed ... now nothing shows in the Auto Bouquet Maker! So can't get my channels set up :(

Larry-G
04-12-13, 21:16
world-of-satellite.co.uk - I'm currently trying to flash from USB but each time I turn it on, I can see it flashes up "Reading USB" but then carries on with "Starting" ... for whatever reason it's struggling to pick up the USB (I have placed the vuplus folder in the root of the USB stick, formatted FAT32). If I can finally get it to read, I'm flashing to 796.

I'm just so confused as to why I'm having so many issues.

That would suggest that it's not detecting the image files for what ever reason, have you tried a different USB stick as it is well known that the Duo in particular can be very fussy with USB sticks.

hyperjase
04-12-13, 21:37
I realised what was wrong, all sorted now -- successfully reflashed to 796 (then a minor upgrade to 797) - got Bouquets working, just getting everything back on it's feet now -- this is a TOTALLY FRESH flash, so any issues I'll report back, anything I can describe I'll video (as above!).

Thanks for the support guys, hopefully this flash will be fine!

Tkr001
06-12-13, 08:54
So to help others what was the problem?

hyperjase
10-12-13, 20:17
I have no idea ... a fresh reflash seemed to help, although the "All Channels" oddity still happens (I'm investigating as it's a weird issue).