PDA

View Full Version : [TM-TWIN-OE] Can't get time shift on USB

robti
02-12-13, 20:20
Hi running Vix 793 and can't get time shift to go onto the USB drive at the moment it is on the hard drive, I have initialised the USB and have it set up for epg, picons,logs and backups but even with a new instal from a downloaded image and then doing a restore it is still the same it won't allow me to change from the default hard drive to USB,I have also tried creating a time shift folder in USB and restarting but still no joy, any help ?

Thanks

judge
02-12-13, 20:29
What format is the USB stick in? needs to be ext3 or ext4.
Also, why are you doing this if you have a hdd installed?

judge
02-12-13, 20:34
also, can you please fill in

Please provide your ViX Team image build version. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER.
properly infuture.

robti
02-12-13, 21:45
also, can you please fill in

Please provide your ViX Team image build version. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER.
properly infuture.

I was sure I had have edited it now

robti
02-12-13, 21:51
What format is the USB stick in? needs to be ext3 or ext4.
Also, why are you doing this if you have a hdd installed?

It has been initialised in ext4 format and it is shown in mounts okay, the reason is I didn't want the hard drive to be on constantly, I wanted the permanent time shift to be on the USB ( is this wrong ?)

judge
02-12-13, 21:58
Personally I'd keep it save on the HDD as it's going to be faster & not run out of space...

Larry-G
02-12-13, 22:07
It has been initialised in ext4 format and it is shown in mounts okay, the reason is I didn't want the hard drive to be on constantly, I wanted the permanent time shift to be on the USB ( is this wrong ?)

Thats what HDD's are built for mate.

As for permanent timeshift Vs regular timeshift they are now one and the same, andy put a hell of a lot of time into overhauling and upgrading timeshift for ViX and merged the two into a single function a good while ago.

abu baniaz
03-12-13, 00:17
When in the list of locations, press menu (switch to file list) and you will be able to add the /media/usb as the location.

robti
03-12-13, 18:15
So looking for advice from people more experienced than me, do I put it on the USB or hard drive, I was only wanting to save having the hard drive on all the time and get the temps down a bit ?

Thanks

abu baniaz
03-12-13, 18:50
Stop/Start is more wear and tear on the HDD than constant spinning.

I'd put on HDD, turn up the fan. If it is too hot for your liking then go to USB. It is better to use HDD as if you decide to save what you have been shifting, process is better as the recording in already on same device. I read elsewhere that USB data path is slower (was not noticeable when I tried it).

Larry-G
03-12-13, 18:52
Stop/Start is more wear and tear on the HDD than constant spinning.

I'd put on HDD, turn up the fan. If it is too hot for your liking then go to USB. It is better to use HDD as if you decide to save what you have been shifting, process is better as the recording in already on same device. I read elsewhere that USB data path is slower (was not noticeable when I tried it).

Thats exactly the same setup as mine and it's perfectly normal to see temperatures hit the high 40's or low 50's without risking damage to the receiver.

robti
03-12-13, 19:19
Thanks will do as you say

Trial
03-12-13, 20:47
Hi,
just for information: Most USB sticks will simply not work for time shift as they are not fast enough to deliver a constant hight read/write performance. The firmware is not so intelligent and highly developed than those for SSDs.

ciao

Larry-G
03-12-13, 20:57
Another thing here to consider is the life expectancy of the flash drive used.

I have seen numerous posts on a few forums where users have had their flash drives last only a few months before having to replace it when using it for timeshift, of course this is not the case for most people but it's still something to consider especially if using cheap unbranded or fake flash drives.

Rob van der Does
05-12-13, 06:59
An USB stick has no controller; hence the same blocks are used over and over again.
In a SSD the controller takes care of even wear of all the cells.