PDA

View Full Version : ISP Provider Recommendations

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 00:00
Ello All,

I am looking to change my broadband and telephone provider.

I have been with O2 for many, many years and they have sold out to Sky! Not that I have anything against Sky but my signal has become significantly worse! My internet now freezes more often than not. My children are now complaining as they can't use their laptops and phones due to the signal strength.

Virgin have offered me a deal that is good but it will mean channelling and changing my Ethernet cables from the back of the house to the front as I believe they will put the router where the cable wire comes into the house. I have flooring on the ground floor so have to find a work around to putting the wires elsewhere! The plus to this is that my speed will increase from 14 to 30mbps.

Any other suggestions of broadband providers appreciated and the reasons why you would recommend them please?

Thank you.

ismailbmw
01-12-13, 00:09
Hi,

You thought of TalkTalk Fibre, it will still use the BT copper wire so will use the same wiring as the SKY, I have talktalk fibre, get a good 37megs to my mobile devices. I am hoping to get the 78megs soon. It cost me around £35 per month for calls anytime and line rental included.
I am not too keen on virgin only because they throttle thier speeds on peak times and I have personally seen the 30mbps spped drop to under 5mbps. Your choice thought Bro.

abu baniaz
01-12-13, 00:15
If you go with Virgin, take th 60MB. That way you will get the Super Hub 2 instead of the super dud. They should have enough coaxial cable to position the modem/router to your preferred location.

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 00:21
Hello Ismail,

Thank you for replying.

I have looked at talk talk.

There are obviously negative comments on all providers and talk talk have their fair share. I did consider them very strongly as their prices are cheap for normal broadband but their price for fibre works out to £10 more than virgin. Virgin have offered me 30mb, evening and weekend calls for £25. I did not realise they restrict your speed at peak times. I have been told that sky restrict the speed as well and maybe hence my internet problems.

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 00:24
Hello Abu,

Thank you for replying.

I just wondered about the router position due to the flooring. They might try and squeeze money out of me for a "non standard" installation! Standard installation is £49.95, I presume that means the easiest place to put the router . . . .

s1m0nw
01-12-13, 00:36
Hello Abu,

Thank you for replying.

I just wondered about the router position due to the flooring. They might try and squeeze money out of me for a "non standard" installation! Standard installation is £49.95, I presume that means the easiest place to put the router . . . .

Use a wifi repeater in location where you want your router to be and you can let them put router anywhere they want.

Its only a suggestion mind google it and see if it would suit your needs

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 00:42
Hello S1m0n,

That is a good suggestion.

I am tempted to drill the holes myself so the installer just needs to feed the wires through the first floor flooring for the router to be put in the back room.

I have never used a WiFi repeater . . . just like I had never used home plugs before two weeks ago!

Just a thought, maybe going into the realms of general computer chat . . . so sorry if this overlaps. I have an Ethernet cable in the front room which hooks onto the vu unit I have, this then goes to the router under the flooring to the back room and router. I put that Ethernet cable in by removing the flooring and I don't want to be doing that again. If the router is put in the front room, can I use that existing Ethernet cable to hook another router in the back room to serve my computer and CCTV system? That way I don't have to re channel any wires!

{{Even I am not sure if what I have written make sense!! . . . sorry}}}. : ((

abu baniaz
01-12-13, 01:12
I have an Ethernet cable in the front room which hooks onto the vu unit I have, this then goes to the router under the flooring to the back room and router. I put that Ethernet cable in by removing the flooring and I don't want to be doing that again. If the router is put in the front room, can I use that existing Ethernet cable to hook another router in the back room to serve my computer and CCTV system? (

Yes in a way. However, you will have to set the second one as a repeater, not router.

I hope you do not have the router under the flooring, but mean the wire goes under the floor to the router.

Stanman
01-12-13, 12:10
Hi,

You thought of TalkTalk Fibre, it will still use the BT copper wire so will use the same wiring as the SKY, I have talktalk fibre, get a good 37megs to my mobile devices. I am hoping to get the 78megs soon. It cost me around £35 per month for calls anytime and line rental included.
I am not too keen on virgin only because they throttle thier speeds on peak times and I have personally seen the 30mbps spped drop to under 5mbps. Your choice thought Bro.

Your paying too much buddy.

I would also recommend TT, I have 40MB fiber and get 37 down and 1.5 up. costs me £20 a month with line rental paid for the year,this is fiber,anytime calls and the international boost of 500 free minutes anywhere in the world.

One think I have found with them,there always willing to offer discount. My sister is on ADSL and again with a year line rental up front, her monthly cost is £10PPM with anytime call and international boost.

Stanman
01-12-13, 12:13
Hello S1m0n,

That is a good suggestion.

I am tempted to drill the holes myself so the installer just needs to feed the wires through the first floor flooring for the router to be put in the back room.

I have never used a WiFi repeater . . . just like I had never used home plugs before two weeks ago!

Just a thought, maybe going into the realms of general computer chat . . . so sorry if this overlaps. I have an Ethernet cable in the front room which hooks onto the vu unit I have, this then goes to the router under the flooring to the back room and router. I put that Ethernet cable in by removing the flooring and I don't want to be doing that again. If the router is put in the front room, can I use that existing Ethernet cable to hook another router in the back room to serve my computer and CCTV system? That way I don't have to re channel any wires!

{{Even I am not sure if what I have written make sense!! . . . sorry}}}. : ((

In theory you could just get a modem in the front room and use a router in the backroom or even a if you have the combined virgin modem /router switch but I would go with the router option

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 12:40
Hello Stanman,

So, you would recommend TT?

I am actually very tempted by them . . .

Are you paying £20 after having paid them upfront line rental? Or the £20 is the calculated figure taking into account your upfront payment?

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 13:17
Just phoned talk talk, they don't have fibre in lower Essex!

Offered me a deal of £8 plus line rental. Just phone and broadband . . . no TV or other add ons . . . pushy to get me signed there and then . . . .

Hmmmm . . . . what to do . . . what to do . . .

abu baniaz
01-12-13, 13:21
They do have fibre next to Leyton Orient

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 13:38
Hello Abu,

Not in my area apparently . . .

I am about 5 miles from Leyton Orient . . .

I think only Virgin have a monopoly on fibre in this area . . . .

ismailbmw
01-12-13, 17:56
Hello Stanman

phone talktalk today, managed to get the 76 meg fibre with 20 upload for £33, thats £3 lower than what I was paying. This includes the £15 ish for the monthly lne rental.
How have you managed to get the medium fibre for £20, does that include the line rental????
Also they have chucked in the Youview box for free, that will go in the bedroom

Thanks

Stanman
01-12-13, 18:20
Hello Stanman,

So, you would recommend TT?

I am actually very tempted by them . . .

Are you paying £20 after having paid them upfront line rental? Or the £20 is the calculated figure taking into account your upfront payment?

No line rental paid upfrtont so thats a tenner on top.

You sure fiber is not in your area? they use bt back haul so if you can get fiber from them than ypu can get it from anyone else using bt.

Got youview but never used it

I would recommend TT never had any problems with them, had drop outs on adsl but that was their crappy modem.

seame
01-12-13, 18:29
I'm with BT infinity 40 down 10 up and I get 38/8, with line rental paid upfront I pay £21 a month. I've never had any problems with their service but the router they supply is crap.

When renewing contracts with them they never put the price up, usually they give you a £1 or two off.

drx360
01-12-13, 20:00
I have BT Infinity 76 down 20 up and can hand on heart say ive not had any major isssues, moved over from talk talk who are in my opinion are complete pants, i second what seame said the router is pretty pants, mine is bthub3.

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 20:30
Hello Stanman, Seame and Drx,

He said definitely no fibre in my area . . . an online checker, I think on a price comparison site said the same . . .

Virgin with 30mb with evening and weekend calls is £25, talk talk, with 18mb with unlimited calls . . . . is going to be £18

I am really restricted with fibre, I think even plusnet said no fibre here . . . .

I

Stanman
01-12-13, 20:32
This is the best site for finding out what you can get.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Those 18MB for ADSL I would take with a pinch of salt as will depend how far you are from the exchange and or rather your phone line is and it can take a very strange rout to get to you.

Sanjhere
01-12-13, 23:02
Hello Stanman,

Thank you for the link, very useful to check.

The phone line is not far from the exchange . . a 100 to 150 metres. TT gave me an estimate of 18mb.

I was also tempted by plusnet.

I think I'll phone around tomorrow to see what deals I can get.

I did try and get an incentive for you recommending TT! If I order it through them, they said to give you my order number and you can contact the loyalty team . . . worth a punt

Stanman
02-12-13, 20:32
Hello Stanman,

Thank you for the link, very useful to check.

The phone line is not far from the exchange . . a 100 to 150 metres. TT gave me an estimate of 18mb.

I was also tempted by plusnet.

I think I'll phone around tomorrow to see what deals I can get.

I did try and get an incentive for you recommending TT! If I order it through them, they said to give you my order number and you can contact the loyalty team . . . worth a punt

I contact them every 6 months or so mate every time my discount ends, never disappointed me so far:thumbsup:

There tech support is shite just like most large firms who ship it over seas but never had to use it.

I was with bethere before and there were a great ISP and I left before murdoch the muppett took them over.:mad::mad: