PDA

View Full Version : Smart TV or Not Really . . . .

Sanjhere
22-11-13, 21:36
Hello All,

I have a really silly question.

I went out this evening and bought a smart TV thinking I could just set it up for WiFi through my router . . . but no . .

I now believe that I need a 'lan adaptor'. I thought these TV's had a WiFi card in them . . . .

It's a Samsung, do I need their expensive lan adaptors or can I buy something similar which is cheaper??

hilly
22-11-13, 21:41
If your planning to Netflix,love film ect then get some homeplugs wos does some I think.

Sanjhere
22-11-13, 21:44
Hello Hilly,

Thank you for the very quick reply!

Ah . . . home plug . . .Stef . . . are you open tomorrow? I will be round at 5am ish . . .

Donnie
22-11-13, 21:52
What model is your TV ? Mine has wifi built in.

Sanjhere
22-11-13, 21:55
Hello Donnie,

It is a Samsung T27B551EW.

I wish I had done a lot more research on this. : (

Donnie
22-11-13, 22:06
As you say it needs a dongle, best option is homeplugs as already mentioned.:(

geordiewhite
22-11-13, 22:09
Why not take it back explaining you bought the wrong tv for your requirements, surely you will have 14 days for a refund..?

Sanjhere
22-11-13, 22:11
Hello Geordie,

Do Richer Sounds accept open box items?

I would feel bad returning it. It was after all my mistake . . .

I think I'll put it down as a lesson learned and buy a homeplug as suggested . . . .

geordiewhite
22-11-13, 22:15
Im sure they do a return within 7 days.

duoduo
22-11-13, 22:17
Is this a New range of TV because mine is about 18 months old now and has wifi built in so not sure why yours wouldn't. Is there no setup for wifi at all in your network settings? My TV, menu, network, network settings, start, wireless.

geordiewhite
22-11-13, 22:21
I think with that model you need a wifi dongle.

why not try this.. http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue22f5400-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-22-with-freeview-hd-black/p443239?kpid=231901547&s_kenid=6ed71e7a-70cd-1408-1b7d-000066fb4854&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Sanjhere
22-11-13, 22:32
Hello Lgleave,

When looking for networks it's looking for a lan connection. I selected wireless but it is saying no lan adaptor . . . must be a new thing.

Hey Geordie,

Nice TV and price in your link. My daughter is looking for a 27 or 28 inch screen hence chose the one we have got.

Trial
23-11-13, 11:04
Hi,
his TV is more or less a monitor with TV tuner. With each series there are models with WiFi build in and some without. Everything a matter of the price.

Another alternative would be a wifi bridge. Something like Netgear WNCE2001

ciao

Rob van der Does
23-11-13, 12:07
Another alternative would be a wifi bridge.
That is a good (stable) alternative: I have one to bring Ethernet to the multimedia-corner in my living.

Sanjhere
23-11-13, 17:40
Hello Trial and Rob,

I went for the homeplug . . . . put it in and my daughter is happy.

I am a bit annoyed though that although they put on the box that it's a smart TV, it does not say you need to purchase additional items.

I am partly to blame as I should have done my research. It's a bit like the old days when you knew you had to buy a three pin plug when you bought an appliance!

Trial
23-11-13, 19:56
Hi,
smart does not mean that WiFi must be included. You must be blamed the most not partly:-)

ciao

duoduo
23-11-13, 20:07
Ok kick a man when he's down won't you lol..

Sanjhere
23-11-13, 21:55
Err hello Trial,

OUCH . . . . I might phone up Samsung on Monday and complain.

I will partly take the blame and say that they should have put a note on the box saying I would need a lan adaptor to make it a smart TV otherwise it would just be a TV . . .

I must admit my vision of a smart TV was plugging it in and putting my WiFi code in.

Sanjhere
23-11-13, 22:02
Okay . . . .
After deliberation . . . I am mostly to blame but Samsung don't need to know that . . .
: (

Trial
24-11-13, 09:52
Hi,
WiFi or not these "smart" TVs are not so smart. I was looking around the internet sections of different companies but did not find anything really interesting or something close to smart. A small Tablet is 100 times smarter.

ciao

Sanjhere
24-11-13, 12:31
Good Morning Trial,

I have not used a smart TV before.

I have not used the internet on it yet but I can imagine it will be restrictive as to the content.

I suppose smart TV's are still in their infancy and might improve

satmanbasil
24-11-13, 22:51
Hi mate

I have the samsung 3d d6530 smart tv and it works on wi-fi no problem did you check before purchasing your model had it

duoduo
24-11-13, 23:19
I have a smart TV and am very happy with it. It fill the void left by things I can not access adequately via my solo2 ie all catchup TV, YouTube et al

Sanjhere
27-11-13, 00:14
Hello SatManBasil,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Err, no, I didn't check the specs. I just read "Smart" and thought that will do. I did assume that all smart TV's could be hooked up via a WiFi signal . . . I was totally wrong. This model does not have a WiFi card and needs to be hooked to the router via an Ethernet cable or what Samsung say is a lan adaptor.

I used home plugs and my daughter seems happy with it.

Hello Lgleave,

I think I will try and be smarter next time and not just go by the word smart on the box!

This has been one of my not so good purchases! I generally do a lot of research and planning . . . .