PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion on Tuner. Water Damage!

bathingaper
21-11-13, 09:45
so I was watching the telly last night on my vu+ and noticed the channels started scrambling. Reflashed the box and still no joy. Was also receiving a tune failed error. Went to check the connections at the back and a puddle of water about the size of the box itself under the box. It had been leaking through the Sky cable itself. Checked the tuners at the back of the box and one seems fine and one is corroded. Tuner 1 is corroded and barely working . Tuner 2 is fine and it works. I've not even had this thing a year .
I've went and tried it in another room where the 2nd Sky box sits and still no joy. I have no idea how long the water's been leaking for because it was a significant amount of water but the box was working fine up until an hour ago. I've got it sat next to a radiator to see if that'll make a difference. I'll have to make do with my solo2 for the time being lol

Burnham
21-11-13, 15:21
Who installed the Sky dish - I would contact them and ask for compensation.

I'll say here what 100's of other people could also post. A properly installed Sky dish will have the F plug connection with the LNB fully weather protected so that you never get water coming down the cable.

Larry-G
21-11-13, 15:34
It's not always instantly the installers fault so check your coax run and see if thats damaged or split which could allow water to get inside.

Burnham
21-11-13, 15:59
Also check your other LNB cable to your 2nd Sky box.

If Sky made a rickets with the installation and water is getting into one connection you must have a very high risk that the other LNB cable is faulty as well. Check out both cables to be sure, you don't want your 2nd Sky box failing because of water ingress.

TK4|2|1
21-11-13, 16:08
Does the cable run over your roof? Seen this many times, cable moves back and forth slowly wearing the outer away.

bathingaper
21-11-13, 17:55
The cable doesn't go along the roof for this box. I'll check the cable run on the weekend when I actually get to see my house in the daylight :)

If the Duo is goosed, what options do I have? Can the tuner be replaced or is that embedded on to the main board?

Larry-G
21-11-13, 18:01
on the Duo the tuners are mounted to the board thus not replaceable.

chaser
21-11-13, 23:42
If the Duo is goosed, what options do I have? Can the tuner be replaced or is that embedded on to the main board?

Given that you've posted in the Duo2 section I presume you're actually talking about the Duo2 and not the Duo? I'm pretty sure the Duo2 has removable tuners. Open the box and have a look. If you've got single tuners, then try swapping them round to see if the tuner if damaged or if the slot on the mainboard is damaged.