PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue QUAD] Quad not booting!

allanapp
17-11-13, 14:01
Hello all

A sudden failure has occurred on my new Quad.

I received the Quad last week and upgraded from 3.0.763 to 789 on 15 NOv. All ok at first but then had some issues yesterday and the day before with tv audio and picture intermittent loss every few minutes. I re-flashed using 3.0.789 on a FAT32 USB stick and all worked well last night.

Switched on the Quad this morning and nothing! I have the red LED showing bottom right of the front display panel, nothing displayed on the panel and no signal to the tv.

I have tried flashing again this morning with two different USB FAT 32 sticks and after switching on the power at the rear of the box the red LED comes on and a few seconds later the USB stick flashes once very briefly, then nothing.

It's been more than an hour and still the red LED but nothing else happening.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Cheers

A

Rob van der Does
17-11-13, 14:28
A log (via the RS232 connection) could tell us what's wrong.

allanapp
17-11-13, 14:32
Ok thanks. As I'm new to this type of receiver could you tell me how to go about getting the info from the rs232 connector.

allanapp
17-11-13, 23:59
Just as a follow on, I've ordered a rs232 cable and adapter from Amazon but it's not likely to arrive here for a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions for a potential way forward in the interim would be much appreciated.

judge
18-11-13, 00:15
Are you sure you flashed the correct image for the box?
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=GiGaBlue-HD-QUAD/

And you have the correct file structure on the USB stick?

allanapp
18-11-13, 00:40
Yes downloaded and unpacked the latest version 3.0.789,formatted the stick using HP USB formatter, full format not quick, and then placed the folder structure on the stick Gigablue\Quad\all the unpacked files.

judge
18-11-13, 00:54
Did you try downloading the image again, maybe it was corrupt?
Folder structure should be /gigablue/quad/ & all 8 files.
Presume that is case sensitive too.
If that doesn't work, try changing the noforce to force in that list of files.

allanapp
18-11-13, 01:08
Downloaded the image several times. All the stick have 8 files in the gigablue/quad folder structure. A few minutes ago I did change the noforce file to force, plugged in the usb stick and powered on the box. Now have red LED, usb stick flashed a couple of times and Gigablue shows on the front panel display. But box still hanging!!

judge
18-11-13, 01:19
Try pushing the OK button on the FP as the USB flashes a few times.

allanapp
18-11-13, 01:32
Disconnected power, waited a few minutes reconnected, plugged in usb stick, switched on at rear switch and now reverted to red LED one brief flash from USB stick and nothing displayed on front panel. Time for bed I think and try again in the morning.

Thanks for your help so far and if you do think of anything pls let me know.

I've messaged Gigablue.de to so maybe something from them tomorrow.

I noticed earlier there is another thread from about a year ago, same problem with a Quad it seems but thread didn't provide a solution so I've messaged that member. Hopefully will get a response to that too.

Cheers

A

Sicilian
18-11-13, 09:38
Use REAR USB port.

Genuine Kingston USB stick.

Formatted FAT32 using this tool http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45-HP-USB-Stick-Drive-Format-Tool

Guide to flash here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/How%20to%20flash%20a%20Gigablue%20Quad.pdf

allanapp
18-11-13, 10:01
Just done that again

Downloaded fresh copies of VIX image 3.0.789 for gb-quad, Teracopy and HP formatting utility

I've tried 7 different usb sticks including 3 Kingston datatravellers of different sizes.

Tried this morning using rear usb port, just red LED showing again. Turned off at rear switch, moved usb stick to front port, switched on - same result. Blank front panel, red LED nothing on tv.

Sicilian
18-11-13, 10:06
Try re-flashing the bootloader 1st.

http://archiv.openmips.com/gigablue_quad_07-05-2013-cfe-loader.zip

Use REAR port.

allanapp
18-11-13, 10:35
Unpacked the bootloader onto Kingston usb stick - gigablue/quad/six files in folder. Plugged into rear port, switched on power - red LED at front panel, USB flashed briefly once as power switched on then every 20 seconds after as though it's running through a cycle but not installing bootloader files. Been in that cycle for about 15 minutes now.

allanapp
18-11-13, 11:02
Just thinking that if this software route doesn't work is there a way I can do a full reset of the box and start installation of software from scratch. Any thoughts? Just off out now but return to the forum later pm.

Cheers

A

allanapp
18-11-13, 17:55
Anyone have any thoughts on this one please??

hilly
18-11-13, 18:44
Not sure I can help but I do this .
Download vix rar image.
Format USB using windows to FAT32
Un rar straight onto USB.
Switch off quad at the back
Insert USB into front and switch on
Within a few seconds press OK
Front LCD shows image found so I press OK again
LCD changes to image flashing.
When lcd changes to boot up screen I switch off at back to remove stick then switch on to reveal new image.

Mr. Mister
18-11-13, 18:58
I remember i had this issue a few weeks back.. Blank screen on Quad when trying to flash..

This is what i done.. Flashed an older Vix image.. Take the oldest one from openvix.co.uk

Put that on your usb stick.. and try to flash that..

Run through the 1st install wizard.. and then power off your Quad..

Now put build 789 onto your freshly formatted usb stick again.. and flash..

This worked for me a few weeks ago..

allanapp
18-11-13, 19:06
Hilly - thanks for your reply which is pretty much what I've been trying including new bootloader.

Mr Mister - thanks too. I'm just going to try your suggestion. Downloading 3.0.760 now which is the oldest build available.

Back soon with an update!!

allanapp
18-11-13, 19:17
Getting really fed up with this now. A one week old £250 Gigablue Quad and I've just spent the last 3 days trying to fault find on it. Hmmmm shall I persevere or whck it with my lump hammer and put t down to a bad experience!!

Tried flashing with 3.0.760 but just the same - red LED, no display on panel or tv, USB stick briefly lights every 20 seconds!

s1m0nw
19-11-13, 08:07
Getting really fed up with this now. A one week old £250 Gigablue Quad and I've just spent the last 3 days trying to fault find on it. Hmmmm shall I persevere or whck it with my lump hammer and put t down to a bad experience!!

Tried flashing with 3.0.760 but just the same - red LED, no display on panel or tv, USB stick briefly lights every 20 seconds!

Is there at anytime something on display while your flashing or before that like load or conf... or does it stay blank the whole time no matter what you do?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

andyblac
19-11-13, 11:10
get me a log taken via serial lead. of the flash process and boot, and i'll take a look.

allanapp
19-11-13, 12:18
s1m0nw - no the front display stays blank all the time, just the red LED staying on steady glow. USB stick gives brief flash every 20 seconds whether in front or rear usb ports.

andyblac - at the moment I only have a rs232 cable for monitor to pc connection so no way to get info. Can try to get one in town tomorrow. I know I need a cable with male fitting for laptop connection and female fitting for Quad connection, should it be a straight or crossover cable?

Larry-G
19-11-13, 18:07
You can use a USB to rs232 cable as well but not all will work. I know the sponsor sells some that are known to work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

seame
19-11-13, 18:18
Don't waste your time or money buying cables. Your box is two weeks old and faulty, send it back to whoever you bought it from for either repairs or replacement.

Larry-G
19-11-13, 18:23
Don't waste your time or money buying cables. Your box is two weeks old and faulty, send it back to whoever you bought it from for either repairs or replacement.

Thats a very nice attitude to have when were trying to track down the cause of his fault, yes by all means send the receiver back to the supplier but a RS232 serial or bootlog could be invaluable to us.

seame
19-11-13, 18:44
The lad has just spent £250 on a box that isn't operating the way it should so of course he should send it back.

I had similar problems with my quad and was told to switch it off and leave it off as repeated attempts to boot and flash it could cause further damage.

It would be great if his problem could be solved by forum members and staff but its been two days and still no progress.

Mr. Mister
19-11-13, 19:05
Have to say your a real optimistic kind of person seame.. Your loads of help too..

If the OP had a serial cable.. Then its very possible that Andy would have been able to tell what the problem is.. Allanapp is free to send the receiver back to the supplier any time he wishes..

The fact of the matter is if Andy can have the logs from the Quad.. and can find out what the problem is.. Other members who may encounter the same problem in the future will be very easy to help..

seame
19-11-13, 19:41
He has followed the advise on here and got no further. As I said in the last post, I had similar problems with mine, was told not to be messing about with the box, trying to flash it or even switching it on, as this could damage it beyond repair.

The advise was given to me by one of the staff at WOS.

aScottishBloke
19-11-13, 20:14
he isent really wasting his time buying a cable and getting the logs to give to the staff. he could get a cable tomorrow abnd have it possably working bye tomorrow night, if he sends it away he could be waiting days or maby even weeks

seame
19-11-13, 20:33
I know what you're saying ascottishbloke but surely sending it back to WOS or whoever he bought from is the proper way to do things. The box is under warranty and I'm sure the staff at WOS are trained to fix things like this, and as they are the forum sponsors, I'm sure the staff on the forum can find out what the problem was and post the solution.

The guy can do what he likes, I'm just offering my advise as I was in the same situation as he is and the advise I was given was switch it off and send it back.

Mr. Mister
19-11-13, 20:40
Thats 3 times now you have said send it back..

Im quite sure the OP read your message correctly the 1st time..

You have given your advise.. Now leave it at that..

allanapp
20-11-13, 00:57
I'm in town tomorrow and will see if I can get hold of a rs232. Do I need straight or crossover for this?

allanapp
20-11-13, 00:59
One other thing I need to ask.

If I get a rs232 tomorrow and attempt to pull the boot log, should any further complications arise with the box presumably I'll be held responsible and would the warranty become void?

Larry-G
20-11-13, 01:26
all your doing with the rs232 cable is seeing if you can grab a log from the receiver while attempting to boot it up, your reading data only not writing so it wont void the warranty.

as for the cable a standard rs232 null modem cable is what you need, not sure if it's strait or crossover but i'd hazard a guess at strait.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
20-11-13, 05:10
@ Allan, please check your email. Please do not waste any more of your time with this.

allanapp
20-11-13, 10:27
Ok thanks, email read and taking that action later today.

Cheers

A