PDA

View Full Version : [ET9x00] Maximum Disk Size

machare
13-11-13, 21:58
Does Vix support disks larger than 2TB?

i.e. If I put a 3 or 4 TB disk into my ET9000 would I be able to format it, and use all the capacity?

Mr. Mister
13-11-13, 22:16
Im not sure on this.. But as far as i am aware.. Its not the image that will stop you from using a bigger HDD..

It will be your receiver..

I have seen somewhere that the Duo2 can take a 4TB HDD.. But please dont ask me where i saw that.. As i cant not remember..

As for your Xtrend.. I know it will take a 1TB.. But other thasn that.. Im not sure..

Maybe someone with an Xtrend receiver will be able to advise more..

machare
13-11-13, 22:45
Unfortunately disks greater than 2Tb present architecture type problems.

For example the linux fdisk command can't create partitions greater than 2TB.

I have a 3TB disk in my desktop PC. I just use it for data. I know there are difficulties if I wanted to boot from it using Windows.

chaser
13-11-13, 23:34
4TB drive is working fine on my Duo2 - formatted ext4. I did have a compatibility problem with the swap file feature with an older build of VIX as i couldn't create a swap file on my USB stick when i had the 4TB drive plugged in. This wasn't really an issue for me, since there's plenty of memory in the Duo2, but it might have been an issue on a lower spec box (like the original Duo). However, this now seems to be corrected on the latest builds - so all working perfectly now.

andyblac
14-11-13, 10:16
Does Vix support disks larger than 2TB?

i.e. If I put a 3 or 4 TB disk into my ET9000 would I be able to format it, and use all the capacity?

yes, i use 3TB WD RED in mine, but you MUST format on the box.

machare
15-11-13, 21:19
yes, i use 3TB WD RED in mine, but you MUST format on the box.

Thanks, will the STB let me partition the disk, or can/should I do that with my PC? (I am considering using one partition as a backup NAS.)

Having formatted a 4TB disk is there any reason for not removing it and putting it in my PC so that I can copy the data from my old disk?

andyblac
16-11-13, 14:02
Thanks, will the STB let me partition the disk, or can/should I do that with my PC? (I am considering using one partition as a backup NAS.)

Having formatted a 4TB disk is there any reason for not removing it and putting it in my PC so that I can copy the data from my old disk?

no, and no, best leave at 1 partition. it HAS to be EXT4 with GPT partition map.