PDA

View Full Version : whats legalto watch

frankie5998
06-11-13, 20:37
Hi, im just new to this and a friend of a friend came over and set it up for me and i get everything under the sun my only question is is this legal? I only had freesat before this he did it all with the remote control just a bit concerned thats all

Larry-G
06-11-13, 20:39
Hi, im just new to this and a friend of a friend came over and set it up for me and i get everything under the sun my only question is is this legal? I only had freesat before this he did it all with the remote control just a bit concerned thats all

nope it's highly illegal if he's getting his channels without paying for a legitimate sky subscription ( or what ever provider he;s using ) and the reason why we cant get into such discussions about it.

frankie5998
06-11-13, 20:59
nope it's highly illegal if he's getting his channels without paying for a legitimate sky subscription ( or what ever provider he;s using ) and the reason why we cant get into such discussions about it.

Thanks for that, looks like i have a £300 box for sale

Larry-G
06-11-13, 21:02
Thanks for that, looks like i have a £300 box for sale

Not necessarily, I dont want to scare you off but we cant discuss those kinds of things here, you have a very capable and powerful receiver that can do a lot but we cant support illegal cardsharing.

frankie5998
06-11-13, 21:04
OK sorry, how will ii find out whats the best thing to do then

Larry-G
06-11-13, 21:06
we can help you set most things up on the receiver but for cardsharing you'd be best using google as we cant help there.

frankie5998
06-11-13, 21:08
what can you get set up or help me get set up thats legal just new to this like i say and just bought the box on Monday from W.O.S

Larry-G
06-11-13, 21:16
well on sky uk there are something like 200 freesat channels you can receive without a subscription, for pay channels if you have a sky card we can help you set that up on the box, without one we cant help you decode pay channels.

you can also use the receiver as a media player although media player functionality is to be considered as a extra, you also have several plugins that can can stream movies and tv shows from the internet to the receiver ( IPTV ), some legally like the OnDemand plugin some illegally like TSmedia although it's entirely upto you if you choose to use them.

frankie5998
06-11-13, 21:20
ok how do i go about setting it up for the 200 free channels, i dont want to be doing anything illegal

frankie5998
06-11-13, 21:27
Any help would be appreciated

Larry-G
06-11-13, 21:30
you need to setup your tuners and load a channel list, if you already have a channel list on the box you can already view the free channels, please dont think i'm trying to scare you here with terms like illegal, i'm just trying to be upfront from the off as to what we can offer support for and what we can not.

I would suggest you try the ABM plugin built into the image to automate and maintain a sky uk regional based channel list, you can also download the OnDemand plugin from our image feeds for access to the Iplayer and ITV player. as for the illegal streaming plugins such as TSmedia and 1channel i would not worry too much about them many thousands of users use these ( although i personally dont, not because of their legality but i just dont like them ).

Larry-G
06-11-13, 21:31
you can get a Tutorial here for setting things like ABM and your EPG ( electronic program guide ) from the tutorials section on www.openvix.co.uk

frankie5998
06-11-13, 21:35
so i just download them and it talks me through it , i know i sound a bit dumb but dont want to do anything to damage the box

frankie5998
06-11-13, 21:40
would you suggest taking it back to factory settings then start from scratch

Larry-G
06-11-13, 21:42
no need to factory reset, to download plugins just press the menu button then go to plugins and press the green button. To be fair there is very little you can do to damage these boxes that cant be corrected with a reflash.

judge
06-11-13, 21:43
Youu could also just set the inbuilt ABM to do a FreeSat scan for your area.
And ignore all the others for now if you want.

frankie5998
06-11-13, 21:48
Thanks for that i was just thinking to factory reset to wipe whatever has been put on tonight then scan for channels i wouldn't care i had a Humax freesat box before i got this so i guess i will end up with the channels i already had is that right.

judge
06-11-13, 22:00
Yes, that's right & still no need for a factory reset.
Are you even sure your friend set it up to receive channels illegally?
Are you getting Sky1 & so on?

frankie5998
06-11-13, 22:04
yes all the sky BT sports the lot

judge
06-11-13, 22:13
Well, it's up to yourself if you want to keep them or not, we can't help you with them though.
Is he charging you for the service?

frankie5998
06-11-13, 22:14
£10 a month

duoduo
06-11-13, 22:17
Turn off the softcam and your box won't encrypt sky channels that way if the guy set your box up correctly ABM and crossepg will update for you.

frankie5998
06-11-13, 22:18
what will i get when i do that provided its set up correctly

Larry-G
06-11-13, 22:19
Look mate i'm not going to try and tell you what to do, i'm not trying and scare you with words like illegal. if your happy with the service your getting then thats fine, but we cant provide support for it here. we can help you setup channel lists and other plugins but for your pay channels your going to have to keep that bit to your self or ask your mate.

judge
06-11-13, 22:23
£10 a month

Tell him to stuff it, you'll soon be back to legal channels.

frankie5998
06-11-13, 22:24
Ok thanks to everyone for the help and advice i appreciate it

duoduo
07-11-13, 08:45
what will i get when i do that provided its set up correctly

Free to air channels inclusive of hd except channel 5 HD. Blue button, softcam manager, green button.

fizzz33
07-11-13, 12:16
Can you not change the default cam in the menu or under the blue button to Common Interface that will give you Free to Air channels that you can watch from the bouquet.