PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Will a 6gb usb partition be enough for timeshifting?

boyofford
06-11-13, 19:22
Hi all,

I've got a tiny 7gb usb which I plan to partition with 6gb for timeshifting and 1gb for picons(or less).
Will this be enough space for timeshifting?

Should I invest in one of the large usbs now available instead, will they work ok in ext4?

I appreciate different channels, HD, SD etc will produce different size files for equivilant amount of time but would this be enough space for say 2hours?

I should add I've got a solo2 box with 1gb harddrive installed but want to do this to save on drive wear/heat etc.

andyblac
06-11-13, 19:31
imho usb stick are just to slow for timeshift, but that is just my opinion.

Rob van der Does
06-11-13, 19:39
I should add I've got a solo2 box with 1gb harddrive installed but want to do this to save on drive wear/heat etc.
That's indeed very small :D

An HDD is made to be used; and start/stop wears a drive more then constant use.
If the drive makes noise or produces heat you didn't choose the correct one.

As for the size for TS: just see if it suites your needs. And a TS-device should indeed be Ext4 (it is if you let the box format it).

boyofford
06-11-13, 19:56
Ok, so I should stick with the hardrive then.

Just thought I could save a timeshift of say ten minutes and look at file size.

Not sure about heat in vix but in blackhole box ran about 40 degrees give or take 5 degrees, not using time shift.

I've assumed box will be running warmer but not checked so will check that its ok and adjust fan accordingly.

....one more question (probably daft question), does the box timeshift in standby?

boyofford
06-11-13, 19:59
That's indeed very small :D

:o... Ment 1 tb :)

abu baniaz
06-11-13, 20:01
It does not timeshift in standby.

Put your picons on internal flash. The solo 2 has more than enough space.