PDA

View Full Version : Another which box please, thread

Ojustaboo
06-11-13, 13:04
Hi guys n girls

Was a couple of years ago I was last on here, I sold my VUduo box to silverfox after Virgin gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Once that expired, Sky gave me a 75% off for a year offer and free box, which was too good not to take.

Now thats expired and I've given them 30 days, and have until Dec 6th to find a replacement.

I have a motorised dish, never loose the sky signal when it rains etc, have a quad lnb with one feed going to my PC's TV card and the other three going to my TV area.

Currently two connected to my Sky box and one connected to my TV.

To be honest, while I do sometimes play around on my PC looking at other satellites, the fact is, most evenings it will be my wife watching TV and she wont.

We also have Netflix and between that and Sky we worked out that except for the occasional use of Sky1 (and usually that was to watch repeats of the simpsons etc), most of what we watch is available on freesat or Netflix hence are getting rid of Sky altogether.

What I want doesn't seem to exist. I'd like a twin/triple tuner freesat PVR that allows me to steam from my PC and also has Netflix.

At the moment we watch Netflix via my PS3 and while it's not all that much hassle, changing Tv channel, changing AV amp channel, powering on PS3, waiting for it to power on etc means that if we are browsing quickly for something to watch, more often than not, we cant be bothered to turn the PS3 on, hence a box with that on it would make life much easier.

The closest I can find is the Humax HDR-1000s (don't need the wifi in the 1010 model), that doesn't have Netflix but I don't think anything does yet.

However, if I'm paying £225 for one of those, I start wondering whether maybe I should pay another £20 and get the Gigablue HD Quad.

My biggest problem for going that route is I want it to be as easy as possible to maintain. OK I'm more than happy to play around at times, but those times I'm not, I want it just to work. I want an epg that is as up-to-date as freesat, so that if a program is set up to record and it changes, my wife doesn't miss it.

Any advice please?

Thanks

Blu-ray
06-11-13, 13:20
Welcome back.

Sicilian
07-11-13, 01:19
If you want basic Freesat take a look at these http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Freesat-HD-Receivers/Humax-Freesat

Very much doubt you'll find a unit that streams from PC and has Netflix.

The GB Quad will do streaming from PC, has 7 days EPG etc... Using Autobouquets keeps maintenance to a minimum.