PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Freezing Box

ki99
05-11-13, 21:12
Hello,

For a while now my VU DUo has been freezing on and off when using the media player, it's mostly when watching 720p mkv's. I have a 2TB internal HDD which I believe is in good health and streams round the house via the vu duo fine (using XBMC) I'm using the latest VIX and this has been happening for the quite some time (over several different versions). Can someone help please, I've started using xbmc instead of the vu but it would be more convenient to use the vu.

cheers

tomhick02
06-11-13, 11:16
Have a similar issue when playing mkvs on vu duo that have been downloaded to hard-drive via dcc, it gets worse and worse ,but only noticed last week afer a rebooth that they are playing fine with the last few days.
I'm thinks of doing a rebooth on box every week and see if it rules out this annoying issue!!
Btw, never have this issue when watching stuff that has been recorded on the VU, just the one i downloaded to the box!

Burnham
06-11-13, 17:18
You could try load an old pre-Open image like ViX v2.4 and test that over a few days to see if the Media Player works without freezing.

If it does it probably indicates that your Duo is at its processing limit when using the latest OpenViX images.

Larry-G
06-11-13, 17:43
The most important thing we need is a set of debug logs from the times these incidents took place.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

hyperjase
09-11-13, 10:21
Have you tried creating a swap file? That solved my issues, there is a thread on here about how to create one manually (I couldn't create mine via VIX).

tomhick02
10-11-13, 02:09
Just realized my issue is diff to original poster, oops , dont want to hijack his thread. But I have swap file activated on mine.
Box doesn't crash, just pixaalating and freezing , a short fast forward or stop and resume play gets rid of the issue on the short term, but, tbh haven't had the problem with the last week since rebooth, but odds on it will return.

hyperjase
15-11-13, 18:30
Just realized my issue is diff to original poster, oops , dont want to hijack his thread. But I have swap file activated on mine.
Box doesn't crash, just pixaalating and freezing , a short fast forward or stop and resume play gets rid of the issue on the short term, but, tbh haven't had the problem with the last week since rebooth, but odds on it will return.

I've had the same - picture freezes and sound continues, stopping playback and continuing sorted for me but not the best half way through a movie!

Rob van der Does
15-11-13, 20:35
Have you tried creating a swap file? That solved my issues, there is a thread on here about how to create one manually (I couldn't create mine via VIX).
Not sure why not? When setting up via the swap-manager 'swappiness' is set to zero. So if you activate the swap via telnet, make sure to do the same (to prevent the swap from slowing down the box).

Also make sure to use the fastest available storage device for swap (ideally that would be the internal HDD).

hyperjase
15-11-13, 20:49
Not sure why not? When setting up via the swap-manager 'swappiness' is set to zero. So if you activate the swap via telnet, make sure to do the same (to prevent the swap from slowing down the box).

Also make sure to use the fastest available storage device for swap (ideally that would be the internal HDD).

I've ALWAYS had to set the swap file up via Telnet, it just wouldn't work through VIX ... never gave me an option to create one.

Still getting the freezing files - the video will stop audio will continue. Just seems as if I get one problem sorted, another one gets thrown somewhere else. FYI swap is running and is 512mb on an external USB stick, where the EPG is also located. Should I move the swap to the Hard Drive?

Rob van der Does
15-11-13, 21:00
Well, swap on internal HDD is slightly faster then on USB. Although I doubt that this fixes the issue, it's worth a try.

And the cacheflush plugin can also do a good job for the DUO.

Does the issue also happen on playback of recordings?

hyperjase
16-11-13, 10:12
Well, swap on internal HDD is slightly faster then on USB. Although I doubt that this fixes the issue, it's worth a try.

And the cacheflush plugin can also do a good job for the DUO.

Does the issue also happen on playback of recordings?

I've set up the swap on the hard drive now, still 512mb, overkill maybe but better safe than sorry!

I'll try the cacheflush plugin later on today.

Crashing only appears to happen on MKV files (I've had someone else tell me it could be a bad encode but happening on all the MKV files, even one that played fine prior to updating). Recordings play fine without any issues.

Rob van der Does
16-11-13, 11:28
Crashing only appears to happen on MKV files (I've had someone else tell me it could be a bad encode but happening on all the MKV files, even one that played fine prior to updating). Recordings play fine without any issues.
And you're on a recent build (789 atm)?
And when was the last build you flashed the box?