PDA

View Full Version : New Member please help choosing a satellite box

macca76
04-11-13, 17:25
Hi All

I am currently looking for a Satellite receiver, I was looking for a box that I can record various channels and maybe be being able to do series links, I would like HD if possible and a easy set up I am currently using a sky hd box, if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it as I have no previous experience at buying one, I have a high speed broadband connection with BT so would like the box to have a wireless function.

I have connected world of satellite for help but have had no reply so any help will be most appreciated.

Mr. Mister
04-11-13, 17:41
Hi buddy..

The Gigablue Quad or the Vu+ Solo2 are probably what your looking for..

I have 2 Quads myself and love them.. I dont have a Solo2.. But there are plenty of users on this forum who do..

Links for both receivers are : GigaBlue Quad (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-QUAD-Linux-Enigma-2-HD-PVR-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-2-DVB-S-S2-2-Plug-and-play-Tuner-Slots) & Vu+ Solo2 (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Solo-2-Solo2-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver)

Our sponsor is always pretty busy.. But if you were to order via the links above, You usually have your receiver the next day..

His service is absolutely perfect.. and 2nd to none..

macca76
04-11-13, 19:58
thankyou for your help Mr Mister

macca76
04-11-13, 20:05
How Easy are these to set up Mr Mister do they can you set up series links, which is the better of the two ?

Regards

Macca

Mr. Mister
04-11-13, 20:32
Yes.. You can set series link.. Most users here on this forum all use our Vix image.. As obviously this is the Vix help forum..

There are loads of tutorials all over the forum in setting up these receivers.. All receivers that can run on a Vix image.. All set up is basically the same.. No mater if its a budget XP1000 or the Top of the range Duo2 or Quad..

Me personally.. I prefer the Quad.. But there are alot of users here who like the Solo2.. Its all down to your preference..

If you buy a Gigablue Quad.. A Solo2 or even a Duo2.. You wont be disappointed with any of these..

fast65
04-11-13, 23:42
depends on your budget, but if you can afford it the Solo2 is a fantastic box and with Vix on itis remarkably easy to use

macca76
05-11-13, 10:08
Hi I Have been recommend the Venton-Unibox-HD2-twin-tuner-satellite-d with vix are these any good which are the easiest to set up ?

macca76
05-11-13, 10:16
Hi buddy..

The Gigablue Quad or the Vu+ Solo2 are probably what your looking for..

I have 2 Quads myself and love them.. I dont have a Solo2.. But there are plenty of users on this forum who do..

Links for both receivers are : GigaBlue Quad (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-QUAD-Linux-Enigma-2-HD-PVR-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-2-DVB-S-S2-2-Plug-and-play-Tuner-Slots) & Vu+ Solo2 (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Solo-2-Solo2-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver)

Our sponsor is always pretty busy.. But if you were to order via the links above, You usually have your receiver the next day..

His service is absolutely perfect.. and 2nd to none..

Hi Mr Mister

The website gives me various options with the box which should I choose, once again thanks for helping a novice out?

HD Quad extra Hybrid Tuners:

HD Quad extra Satellite Tuners:

Fitted HDD Options:

WiFi Options:

USB Flash Drive (great for flashing firmware):

Networking Powerline Homeplugs:

GiGaBlue Firmware options (Installed free of charge):

Stanman
05-11-13, 20:08
The tuners are for the signals your gonna get:-
Satellite - you get two as standard but if you need extra - normally needed if you do a lot of recordings across several channels than its a good idea - I have two boxes with 3 tuners and on the main one I still get conflicts of recordings.

HDD - you need a HDD and if your not confident in opening up etc, get the sponsor to supply and fit one, price is very competitive and you will have a box set to go from purchase

WIFI - this is for the network but if you have homeplugs or wired connection, than not needed

USB flash drive - you need a USB stick to flash a new image, if you already have a USB stick than not needed

Network powerline homeplugs - same as for WIFI, these are plugs, need two minumum and transmit network signals through normal electrical wiring.

My advice to you buddy is pick up the phone and speak to the sponsor, he will see you right

macca76
05-11-13, 21:43
The tuners are for the signals your gonna get:-
Satellite - you get two as standard but if you need extra - normally needed if you do a lot of recordings across several channels than its a good idea - I have two boxes with 3 tuners and on the main one I still get conflicts of recordings.

HDD - you need a HDD and if your not confident in opening up etc, get the sponsor to supply and fit one, price is very competitive and you will have a box set to go from purchase

WIFI - this is for the network but if you have homeplugs or wired connection, than not needed

USB flash drive - you need a USB stick to flash a new image, if you already have a USB stick than not needed

Network powerline homeplugs - same as for WIFI, these are plugs, need two minumum and transmit network signals through normal electrical wiring.

My advice to you buddy is pick up the phone and speak to the sponsor, he will see you right

Thanks for the help much appreciated getting a box as I am sick of paying skys "sky high" prices had sky for about 13 years but think its time to look at alternatives hence why I am looking at these boxes maybe to get foreign channels etc and maybe be able to pick up some football

Mr. Mister
05-11-13, 22:13
Buddy.. Your talking about CS here.. We do NOT give any help whatsoever on CS on this forum..

skronk
05-11-13, 22:26
Hi I Have been recommend the Venton-Unibox-HD2-twin-tuner-satellite-d with vix are these any good which are the easiest to set up ?

I have one of these.

I could not recommend it at all.

SD pics show negative.
Cam stops regularly.

Pic and sound are good though when working.

Only use it now when I have to !!! Using my old Dm800se clone instead which is rock solid but only has 1 tuner.

My Vu duo is well better. Pay the extra and get something better. Not a Venton.

Mr. Mister
05-11-13, 22:51
I have one of these.

SD pics show negative.
Cam stops regularly.

Only use it now when I have to !!! Using my old Dm800se clone instead which is rock solid but only has 1 tuner.

I have had 2 Ventons here in the last 3 months.. I could not fault them.. They ran perfect for me..

Both are now in my m8s houses and have never given any trouble what so ever..

Most problems with these boxes are user related.. Not having a dig at you.. But id say your problem is something to do with the way you have set it up..

judge
05-11-13, 22:53
I have one of these.

SD pics show negative.
Cam stops regularly.

Sounds like set-up poblems rather than box problems.
Have you submitted any debug logs for any of your issues?

skronk
05-11-13, 23:15
I have had 2 Ventons here in the last 3 months.. I could not fault them.. They ran perfect for me..

Both are now in my m8s houses and have never given any trouble what so ever..

Most problems with these boxes are user related.. Not having a dig at you.. But id say your problem is something to do with the way you have set it up..

Apart from running ABM it is as setup by sponsor. I have not touched it at all. The box is HD2 which was replaced for HD1 which came with a factory fault. I am really disappointed in the box as I want to like it but really can't.

Maybe I've just been unlucky !! Such is life !!

judge
06-11-13, 00:25
All will be as easy to setup as each other.
There might be a different button press on flashing, but that's about it.
Guides for flashing can be found on http://openvix.co.uk
Using the GB Quad here for over a week now & I'd have no problems recommending one, just as fast as my Solo 2 & the option to add more internal tuners.
It doesn't do transcoding, but does stream perfectly. Just depends on your needs.

Sicilian
06-11-13, 04:54
Apart from running ABM it is as setup by sponsor.

Very much doubt that, all the sponsor does it pre-flash images.

Perhaps you should re-flash.

skronk
06-11-13, 08:03
Very much doubt that, all the sponsor does it pre-flash images.

Perhaps you should re-flash.

As my 1st box was faulty, sponsor fitted my HDD (free of charge) to replacement box, so receiver was, in effect working on arrival.
It is setup as mirror image of Vu Duo to keep things easy for my wife who is constantly recording.
The Duo runs flawlessly and the Venton does not.

I surely must be allowed to be disappointed in the box ? Have you never made a purchase you regret ?

Perhaps I should re-flash ? Already suggested by sponsor and done about half a dozen times. No difference. This includes fresh USB flash at 760.

Please do not construe this as a rant at sponsor. It is not. It is merely a personal opinion on 2 Venton boxes of different model that do not perform correctly.

I could return it under warranty as its only a couple of months old, but my remote location means a turn round time of at least a fortnight, so I simply don't use the box for SD recordings and re-start the cam when required. The big bind is when recordings are set and the cam stops then no recordings !

Hence back to the dm800se clone......Not a hiccup in 18 months but only single tuner.

My sister has always advocated "buy cheap, buy twice" Pay the extra 60 quid or so and get a Vu.

Regards