PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection problems

pazza07
26-10-10, 23:38
I have a tm500 super working fine. I have set up a few systems for friends with no problems, until recently when the last two I've done are havin Internet connection problems at my friends address even tho I've set them up at mine and they've worked fine. I set a static ip address and also used dhcp. I took the box to my friends address and it worked ok, then after about a week they say they have no Internet connection showing in the communication settings. The only way I can get them to work is to take them back to mine and through my router. I don't understand how they can suddenly lose connection to their routers. Any help and ideas would be appreciated, cheers

danishdude
27-10-10, 01:20
The ip you gave them has been used by the DHCP-server at your friends, making it unavailable a.t.m. - until its released(?).
Can you ping the TM's from another pc on the network? If yes, then they have an ip, and the problem must reside somewhere else in the system.

pazza07
27-10-10, 01:35
The ip you gave them has been used by the DHCP-server at your friends, making it unavailable a.t.m. - until its released(?).
Can you ping the TM's from another pc on the network? If yes, then they have an ip, and the problem must reside somewhere else in the system.
If I connect the TM to their router and use DHCP wouldn't that automatically give the TM a available ip address?

danishdude
27-10-10, 15:48
If I connect the TM to their router and use DHCP wouldn't that automatically give the TM a available ip address?Precisely - if you tell the VU to use DHCP and obtain everything autmatically (hence you dont set up any static ip's and DNS).
It's better to reserve an ip in the router, if possible. Then the VU would be set up totally standard network-wise, and still get the same ip every time it asks to renew it.

pazza07
27-10-10, 17:39
thanks danishdude, thats what i done, set it up in mine, working fine, then took it to my friends, set it up and enabled DHCP and it worked ok. THen after about a week he rang me to say it wasn't working so i went round and it was showing "no internet connection" i am really confused as it works perfectly in mine. Could it be something to do with any lease times in their router??

Conaxthewarrior
27-10-10, 18:36
Hi Pazza07,
I'm no expert, presently facing an impossible situation getting mu VU+ Duo to connect to pc but if this helps, i connected the reciever to internet and ran a network test which returned "no ip address found" I then left it on totally by chance while I answerng my phone and on returning, found it had connected after all, showing IP address and all the rest. So perhaps giving some extra time for a connection would do the trick?

pazza07
27-10-10, 19:15
Hi Pazza07,
I'm no expert, presently facing an impossible situation getting mu VU+ Duo to connect to pc but if this helps, i connected the reciever to internet and ran a network test which returned "no ip address found" I then left it on totally by chance while I answerng my phone and on returning, found it had connected after all, showing IP address and all the rest. So perhaps giving some extra time for a connection would do the trick?

Believe it or not, my friend has just rang me and said it has a ip address and working fine, cheers all for your help

danishdude
27-10-10, 19:25
Believe it or not, my friend has just rang me and said it has a ip address and working fine, cheers all for your helpI thought you gave them a static ip, if i read your OP right!? (even though you mentioned using DHCP too) It's either static ip or DHCP.

If its DHCP, maybe the pool available for leases is set up too small, leaving not enough ip's for your friends connectiong gadgets (coupled with a lease-time thats waaaay too long)