PDA

View Full Version : Picons

Sanjhere
02-11-13, 00:49
Hello All,

Hopefully a quick question.

I changed from an external drive to an internal drive and I think I downloaded the picons onto the external drive which has now been formatted!

I can't find the 28.2 picons on the download section of plug ins, have I lost them forever?

Thank you

judge
02-11-13, 00:52
The box would still think you have them installed so they wont show in the feeds.
Go to the plugins screen, red for remove & remove the pack.
They should then show up in the feeds again after an E2 restart.

judge
02-11-13, 00:55
By the way, the HDD is the worst place to save the picons, unless the HDD is constantly spinning - i.e. PTS enabled & using the HDD.
If you are only using 28.2, saving them to flash will do no harm & probably the best place for them.

Sanjhere
02-11-13, 00:56
Hey Judge,

How's it going?

No, tried that, nothing in the remove picon section and nothing in the download section either. : (

The 28.2 picons don't appear in either.

Just read your 2nd post. I will save them onto a flash if I ever find the missing picons . . . .

judge
02-11-13, 01:02
Which picons were you using?
My preferred ones are on this thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18869-BLACK-28-2E-by-MMCMedia-No-Discussion&p=242814&viewfull=1#post242814)

Just download them & extract them to a folder called /picon on the root of flash.
Restart E2 & they will show.

Sanjhere
02-11-13, 01:05
I had downloaded the ones from the plug in section, just the 28.2 ones.

Thank you, will download another set and save them to a USB

judge
02-11-13, 01:55
Thank you, will download another set and save them to a USB

Why USB? You paid for a box with flash memory, why not use it?

Rob van der Does
02-11-13, 05:51
They should then show up in the feeds again after an E2 restart.
A restart isn't even needed: the results of (de)installing will show immediately.

Sanjhere
02-11-13, 11:16
Good morning Judge, hello Rob,

I always think of flash as an external USB stick. I

will save the picons onto the uno's internal flash memory.

Thank you

Sanjhere
02-11-13, 15:06
Another WAHAAY!

Downloaded the picons, extracted them, dragged them to the picons folder and sent them via Filezilla to the uno. Rebooted and can see them on the guide now.

Thank you again Judge and Rob.

huey45
07-11-13, 00:48
Hi Guys

Im trying the follow the guide for installing picons
can somebody explain what is folder called /picon on the root of flash ??
where does that reside in folder structure on my uno ??
pardon my ignorance...

Sicilian
07-11-13, 00:54
Hi Guys

Im trying the follow the guide for installing picons
can somebody explain what is folder called /picon on the root of flash ??
where does that reside in folder structure on my uno ??
pardon my ignorance...

Best placed in root of a USB stick. Only store on HDD it your have timeshift turned on.

You can install picons from the plugin feeds, Ocram HD picons are excellent imo.

Rob van der Does
07-11-13, 10:47
Best placed in root of a USB stick. Only store on HDD it your have timeshift turned on.
I don't agree with that.
For any box that has sufficient flash the best location for picons is in flash (it's the fastest, it's free and it's always available).
Second best is an USB-stick.
Worst is an HDD (even if TS is active, HDD can be slow).

Sicilian
07-11-13, 11:08
I don't agree with that.
For any box that has sufficient flash the best location for picons is in flash (it's the fastest, it's free and it's always available).
Second best is an USB-stick.
Worst is an HDD (even if TS is active, HDD can be slow).

I don't agree with that :D

Rather save flash for system and plugins.

No issues using HDD for Picons with Permanent timeshift running, been using this way for years and never a single issue. Only time would not store picons on HDD is if timeshift is off.

So think its best to agree to disagree :)

Rob van der Does
07-11-13, 11:17
Well, paying for flash and not using it optimal for the purpose it's there (i.e. storage)? OK, it's a choice. But not mine.

huey45
07-11-13, 12:14
Hi Sicillian

Your the man worked perfect !!!

You can install picons from the plugin feeds, Ocram HD picons are excellent imo.

Sicilian
07-11-13, 12:16
Hi Sicillian

Your the man worked perfect !!!

Make sure you have timeshift on, otherwise as Rob says, you'll get slowdowns waiting for the HDD to spin up.