PDA

View Full Version : HDD fault issue question

clem58
25-10-13, 01:04
Would it be at all feasible that my duo could in some way damaging my hdd? I have an external hdd that was until recently, connected without any problems as well as the internal hdd that showed no issues until recently. Also, to-night when both HDD'S were connected to my lappy neither hdd would display that they was there. Also as a temporary fix i tried to attach thee external hdd, it behaved as the internal hdd did and failed to connect. If there is a problem with the duo, what if anything, can i do to rectIfy the problem.?

Thanks in advance for replies

Larry-G
25-10-13, 01:21
Quick question and please dont be offended. genuine or clone ?, the reason i ask is because clones for the most part are known to have poor and often dangerous power supply units.

clem58
25-10-13, 03:19
Not offended, i got from W O S over a yr ago everything was fine until recently, the hdd disconnected then duo froze, it had never done that b4. I was advised to install build 726 and that was when problems began (i could be wrong but thats how i remember it. ) The hdd was pre installed so i didn't have the worry of doing it myself. Two questions , if i sent it back to WOS to be looked at would it be expensive ? maybe cheaper to replace it. Also could you explain TS panel where do i get it and how do i use it?
Ta for your time.:thumbsup:

BubbleBalls
25-10-13, 05:53
I think windows will not automatically see the HDDs if they were formatted by the Duo. You need a small program installed - google "ext4 windows"

Tapatalker

Sicilian
25-10-13, 07:08
Are you are that with the latest builds HDD as now not in Menu > Setup > System > Hard Disk, its now been re-named Menu > Setup > System > Storage Devices.

clem58
25-10-13, 23:22
Yea noticed the changes, i got this msg last nite when i tried again to mount hdd, is as follows.

converting ext3 to 4....
error. size (according to the super block) is 122096640
blocks
the physical size of the device is 122096127 blocks
either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt.

What does that tell you?

clem58
26-10-13, 22:42
I took HDD from the freesat box ( same size 500gb) working great now. The previous build must have corrupted both hdd's both useless. I think.

Thanks for your support:thumbsup:

judge
26-10-13, 22:47
I took HDD from the freesat box ( same size 500gb) working great now. The previous build must have corrupted both hdd's both useless. I think.
I've been using probably a 6 yr old 500GB drive taken from a SKY box on almost every ViX build, released & not released & never had it corrupted, so highly unlikely a build issue.

BubbleBalls
26-10-13, 23:34

Thanks for your support:thumbsup:

Unlikely they are both useless - something else going on. Like judge, my Duo HDD is from a 4 yr old Sky b. Something is stopping them from being recognised as mount.

Tapatalker

clem58
27-10-13, 03:40
Is there any way to get them working? The problem i had with the duo is now with the freesat box.

Thanks for support folks :)

BubbleBalls
27-10-13, 11:16
I can't for the life of me remember the program I used on windows 7 to jostle extension types on my HDDs as I uninstalled most unused programs. You could try http://www.diskinternals.com/partition-recovery/
though I'm not sure how compatible it is with ext4.
You could also try Gparted
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted/gparted-0.16.2/
Again, not sure if this allows for attempted repair of your HDDs , but you could attempt a fresh reformat.
Main thing is to get windows to recognise that the HDDs are connected.

Tapatalker

clem58
30-10-13, 01:27
Got both hdd's sorted, not bad for a head melter :)
Thanks for your help.