PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Images

hbw
24-10-13, 20:55
Hi, I'm a complete novice, but very interested in Linux based receivers.

My question is what are the benefits from installing alternative firmware images, as compared to the official image from the manufacturer? (I'm sure there are very good reasons, and I'd love to know them).

Also, what are the main differences between the alternative images, ViX, Blackhole etc. I am aware this forum leans towards ViX, but I would greatly appreciate an reasoned opinion.

I apologise if these questions are considered too simple, or are answered elsewhere, but I have not spotted anything.

Thanks in advance.

Rob van der Does
24-10-13, 22:20
There's only one good answer: as all images provide a different look & feel (and sometimes even different behaviour) you really should start on one, try it for a week or so, and move on to the next. In the end you'll know what you like best.
Or save yourself the troeble and start on ViX; pretty sure you'll stay there :D

Regarding factory images: they tend to be a bit meagre, but that depends also on the brand.

hbw
26-10-13, 09:06
Fair enough, so basically something like the ViX image will give more functionality than the stock.

I understand your point about different images, personal taste essentially,

Many thanks.

Larry-G
26-10-13, 09:37
so basically something like the ViX image will give more functionality than the stock.

I understand your point about different images, personal taste essentially,

Many thanks.

Pretty much yes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk