PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] AutoAspectRatio

sandiego69
22-10-13, 17:18
Since reflash to 762 I get a crash when trying to use AutoAspectRatio. I have removed, downloaded afresh from feeds and reloaded the plugin but every time I try and use it will crash and restart enigma. What have I missed here?

andyblac
22-10-13, 17:20
Since reflash to 762 I get a crash when trying to use AutoAspectRatio. I have removed, downloaded afresh from feeds and reloaded the plugin but every time I try and use it will crash and restart enigma. What have I missed here?

why is this needed ?, have you tried without it with my new VideoMode code,

sandiego69
22-10-13, 18:01
I don't want to appear stupid, however, I don't understand how VideoMode works. Do I download a plugin? Is it in-built? How do I setup and use?
Thanks for help.

icemanv3
22-10-13, 22:30
Hey mate, have a look under Setup>System>Avsettings

If you have automatic resolution enabled then you should be ok but if you dont you will see options such as "Display 4:3 content as" change these to your desired setting.

Make sure the video output matches your setup, as for example when i flashed mine even though i was using hdmi it was set to scart. Reboot after you have changed this

andyblac
22-10-13, 23:53
guy's,

just so we do not confuse people here, 2 things Aspect has nothing to with AutoVideoMode, aspect now is working full depending the 2 options you choose, will try to explain them below.

Display 4:3 content as

option's you have is

'PillarBox' = this will show the content as correct aspect, with black band down each side of screen so the video is correct aspect ( 4:3 )

'PanScan' = this will crop the top & bottom off the picture till the left and right are filled the screen, this again keep correct aspect (4:3), but you loose some of the top and bottom of the view.

'JustFit' = this just stretches the video wide till it fills screen, no image is lost but the correct aspect is lost, as it has been stretched.

Display >16:9 content as

option's you have is

'LetterBox' = this will show the content as correct aspect, with black band at top and bottom of screen so the video is correct aspect ( 16:9 )
'
'PanScan' = this will crop the left & right off the picture till the top and bottom are filled the screen, this again keep correct aspect (16:9), but you loose some of the left and right of the view.

'JustFit' = this just stretches the video tall till it fills screen, no image is lost but the correct aspect is lost, as it has been stretched.

hope this helps you, these are working with or without Auto resolution.

icemanv3
23-10-13, 00:33
oops sorry andy :( good info though!

Rob van der Does
23-10-13, 04:34
Display 16:9 content as

Actually this is not correct:
1- Indeed, the first option is how to display 4:3 contents. However:
2- the second option is about how to display contents that's >16:9 (so wider then the standard 16:9)
For 16:9 itself there is no setting, as that is default.

sandiego69
23-10-13, 08:30
Hey mate, have a look under Setup>System>Avsettings

If you have automatic resolution enabled then you should be ok but if you dont you will see options such as "Display 4:3 content as" change these to your desired setting.

Make sure the video output matches your setup, as for example when i flashed mine even though i was using hdmi it was set to scart. Reboot after you have changed this

OK I have read very carefully all replies and I am getting mixed messages here. To me Auto Resolution has got nothing to do with Auto Aspect Ratio, correct?
I have, in AV settings, the 4:3 as Pillarbox and 16:9 as Letterbox, which are my preferences. When I try the Autoresolution setting some channels look awful. Now, is that my Sony Bravia (via HDMI) doing something with what the Solo2 sending?
Maybe I should just leave the AutoResolution option to off but it still doesn't answer why the Plugin AutoAspectRatio crashes now with the latest builds.

Rob van der Does
23-10-13, 09:12
OK I have read very carefully all replies and I am getting mixed messages here. To me Auto Resolution has got nothing to do with Auto Aspect Ratio, correct?
Correct.

I have, in AV settings, the 4:3 as Pillarbox and 16:9 as Letterbox, which are my preferences.
That are correct settings for not disturbing the aspect ratio of the video contents.

When I try the Autoresolution setting some channels look awful. Now, is that my Sony Bravia (via HDMI) doing something with what the Solo2 sending?
Possibly.

Maybe I should just leave the AutoResolution option to off
You have the choice.
When set to Off you use the scaler of the STB.
When set to On you use the scaler of the TV
You must choose whatever suits you(r equipment) best.

... but it still doesn't answer why the Plugin AutoAspectRatio crashes now with the latest builds.
The AspectRatio plugin isn't compatible with ViX 760 and above. It is no longer available via our feeds.
But the good news is: you don't need it anymore. It was mostly used to overcome a driver bug (not consistent aspect ratio's) in all VU hardware. The way Andy now coded the video-setup overcomes this as well (and even better).

sandiego69
23-10-13, 09:17
Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. I should say that as of last night the AutoAspectRatio Plugin is still showing on the feeds.

Rob van der Does
23-10-13, 09:58
I should say that as of last night the AutoAspectRatio Plugin is still showing on the feeds.
Not if your box is up-to-date (i.e. on build 763).

andyblac
23-10-13, 11:30
2- the second option is about how to display contents that's >16:9 (so wider then the standard 16:9)

still act that same way, i.e. for 2.35:1 black top/bottom

actualy no true, when using 'Scart' port, you have an option for 'WSS on 4:3' only (on/off) though it is supposed to stretch to fit screen. (can't test have no tv with scart), it is only on scart and all tv with hdmi are widescreen so is not needed.

Rob van der Does
24-10-13, 07:37
Display >16:9 content as

actualy no true, when using 'Scart' port, you have an option for 'WSS on 4:3' only (on/off) though it is supposed to stretch to fit screen. (can't test have no tv with scart), it is only on scart and all tv with hdmi are widescreen so is not needed.
That is not an aspect ratio setting.

The aspectratio setting on the box determines how a specific aspectratio of the contents should be converted to the output of the STB.
WSS (Wide Screen Signalling) does the opposite: when enabled it tells the TV what the aspectratio of the sent signal is (so the TV can adjust it's settings). This is applicable to both widescreen and 4:3 TV's.
See a.o.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen_signaling

sandiego69
24-10-13, 10:41
There is a lot of this which is obviously very technical however the bottom line for me is that when setting AutoResolution to 'on' it distorts my picture.

Now, all I would like is a return of the AutoAspectRation ability because some channels appear as 4:3 but are in fact 16:9. Therefore I would like the facility to manually change the picture on a channel to make it look right.

As I said before I am struggling with how AutoResolution can help me adjust picture ratio. Maybe I am being thick and should quietly go back to sleep.

andyblac
24-10-13, 11:17
There is a lot of this which is obviously very technical however the bottom line for me is that when setting AutoResolution to 'on' it distorts my picture.

Now, all I would like is a return of the AutoAspectRation ability because some channels appear as 4:3 but are in fact 16:9. Therefore I would like the facility to manually change the picture on a channel to make it look right.

As I said before I am struggling with how AutoResolution can help me adjust picture ratio. Maybe I am being thick and should quietly go back to sleep.

try todays update, turn Auto resolution to NO, and remove ANY auto resolution or aspect plugin.

sandiego69
24-10-13, 12:44
As Rob said before there is no AutoAspect Plugin now on the feeds so I have done exactly as andyblac has suggested and switched of AutoResolution.

It still, nevertheless, leaves me without any means to alter picture Ratios.

andyblac
24-10-13, 12:53
As Rob said before there is no AutoAspect Plugin now on the feeds so I have done exactly as andyblac has suggested and switched of AutoResolution.

It still, nevertheless, leaves me without any means to alter picture Ratios.

ehhh, just set and forget.

garyblas
24-10-13, 18:35
Well just updated and dont know what everyone on about. The only difference i see is with Auto Res switched on when i select a channel it shows the setting in top right corner and makes menus fuzzy on SD channels.

With Auto Res Off pictures are same but menus clear on both HD and SD.

Maybe my TV auto adjusts? Its a Panasonic?

Delagroov
24-10-13, 19:23
Well just updated and dont know what everyone on about. The only difference i see is with Auto Res switched on when i select a channel it shows the setting in top right corner and makes menus fuzzy on SD channels.

With Auto Res Off pictures are same but menus clear on both HD and SD.

Maybe my TV auto adjusts? Its a Panasonic?

With next build, you can choose Only HD so sd channels keep default to 1080i

Or you can check if your Panny can set overscan off also for other resoltions

garyblas
24-10-13, 19:49
With next build, you can choose Only HD so sd channels keep default to 1080i

Or you can check if your Panny can set overscan off also for other resoltions

My Panny TV is set to overscan OFF. Is this why i dont see any difference?

sandiego69
25-10-13, 09:30
We are going round and round the same circle and the discussion seems to be fixated on 'resolution'. I say again that I am not the slightest bit interested nor do I want to change either manually or automatically 'resolution'.

All I want to do is, as I had before, a Plugin to just change the picture ratio. There are some channels that appear 4:3 and look distorted until changed to 16:9

Why am I not making myself understood? If you are all saying that I have to live without this feature, so be it.

Rob van der Does
25-10-13, 10:13
No, what we are trying to say is that there should be no need for any plugin for setting the aspect ratio.

1- Formerly there was a need, as all VU's suffer from a driver bug resulting is incorrect aspect ratio's in some cases. As far as we know now, by the testing we have done, this bug has been worked-around by the new way of setting the video mode.

2- The present aspectratio settings (in A/V-settings) should be covering all situations.

Having said that: of course our testing can have missed something; there can be files out there that (maybe only on specific hardware with specific settings) might result in incorrect aspect ratio's produced by the box.
If that would be the case, we need to be able to reproduce that. So we would need to have access to a sample file and we should know on which box with which settings to reproduce.

Simply calling for a plugin, that might or might not work around an issue (and that even isn't compatible any more) isn't going to help us to help you.

andyblac
25-10-13, 13:34
We are going round and round the same circle and the discussion seems to be fixated on 'resolution'. I say again that I am not the slightest bit interested nor do I want to change either manually or automatically 'resolution'.

All I want to do is, as I had before, a Plugin to just change the picture ratio. There are some channels that appear 4:3 and look distorted until changed to 16:9

Why am I not making myself understood? If you are all saying that I have to live without this feature, so be it.

Aspect ratio, should be hidden from user, it should not be shown, please set it back to 16:9 and leave it alone. that is the only setting drivers that work.

sandiego69
27-10-13, 10:21
Aspect ratio, should be hidden from user, it should not be shown, please set it back to 16:9 and leave it alone. that is the only setting drivers that work.

My settings in 'AV' are, as they have always been....4:3= pillarbox and 16:9= letterbox.
My personal opinion is that this new method does not help with some channels. I give you an example....Dubai Sport 3 on Hotbird. The picture is squashed to 4:3 but in the past I have used the AutoAspectRatio to switch to 19:9. This is really convenient with channels that do not display properly. Altering resolution, in many cases, does not help display correctly.

I stress this is only my opinion but I feel strongly that this is a backward step.

davewhitaker
27-10-13, 10:53
This is truly annoying. .
No matter what setting I change in AV settings (only HD, Disable, All resolutions) if I change the channel from a HD channel to a SD channel my tv changes from 1080p to 576p and all the menus go a little fuzzy in 576p.
Please fix this

andyblac
27-10-13, 15:36
This is truly annoying. .
No matter what setting I change in AV settings (only HD, Disable, All resolutions) if I change the channel from a HD channel to a SD channel my tv changes from 1080p to 576p and all the menus go a little fuzzy in 576p.
Please fix this

then you HAVE NOT REFLASHED, besides without logs how you expect me to help you ????

please try reflashing with todays build.

davewhitaker
27-10-13, 16:40
Yep I've done a fresh reflash with todays build about 5 time and still getting the same problem with my tv changing aspect ratio every time I change from an SD to HD channel.
I think I'll be sticking to pre 760 biuld

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
27-10-13, 16:52
I think I'll be sticking to pre 760 biuld
Well, that won't help us helping you then.
We really need debuglogs and a good reproduce recipe.

davewhitaker
27-10-13, 17:07
The is no crashlog because there is no crash no glitches. As far a the image is considered it is doing as it should and thats automatically changing the aspect ratio every time it changes from HD to SD so I dont think I can help with this problem just confirming what others are experiencing

Rob van der Does
27-10-13, 17:46
No, for this we need debuglogs.

As AR is still under development, and we have only a limited number of assets, we need to get all info of unwanted side-effects.
Reverting to an old build does not help (us).

davewhitaker
27-10-13, 17:54
I'm not sure what you would like me to do to help. I'm unable to provide logs and I've tryed to explain carefully what happens.
I did try and install AAR plugin from the feeds and set all the SD options to 1080. This worked when I was in the plugin and I was able to change the channel from SD to HD then back to SD with no problems after I exited the plugin. Then it reverted back to the same thing.
So I presume the built in AAR took over controle.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
27-10-13, 18:35
The help is to provide debuglogs.

When the AR-plugin has been installed, the embedded AR is disabled.

AmardeepAujla
22-02-14, 18:44
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I used to use the AspectRatioSwitch plugin. There is still a need for it when watching most Asian channels, as they never get their aspect ratios right. Is there a way the AspectRatioSwitch plugin or the new Openvix image can be made compatible again?

zenyatta80
03-08-17, 23:17
Same problem here with Asian channels. They are broadcast window boxed. In Kodi I can do a wide zoom but can't on my duo2.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk