PDA

View Full Version : Bootlaoder

AJT
20-10-13, 10:16
Hi guys.
Is there any need to flash a bootloader to this box if you are installing vix as i notice other images require bootloader.
Many thanks.

Larry-G
20-10-13, 10:44
I dont believe there is, although i dont own a quad so may be wrong on that.

richardinspain
20-10-13, 11:35
I only had to flash a previous bootloader when i installed the teamred image, all the other images worked on the same bootloader

Stanman
20-10-13, 11:53
How old is the box, if fairly recent than no as probably updated in factory

AJT
20-10-13, 14:50
How old is the box, if fairly recent than no as probably updated in factory

Box is brand new.is there a boot loader available that's compatible with Vix should it be needed.

Larry-G
20-10-13, 14:53
should not need one, if there was a ViX specific bootloader it would be hosted on the openvix site but there is not one. ( dont have a quad so not 100 percent certain ).

AJT
20-10-13, 14:58
should not need one, if there was a ViX specific bootloader it would be hosted on the openvix site but there is not one. ( dont have a quad so not 100 percent certain ).

Hi Pheonix.I think your right as there is not one available in Vix downloads but does no harm to check.
It won't be running anything but Vix anyway...

Larry-G
20-10-13, 15:01
Hi Pheonix.I think your right as there is not one available in Vix downloads but does no harm to check.
It won't be running anything but Vix anyway...

no worries bud, as i said i cant be 100 percent certain as i have never used one, could i take this thread a little off topic and ask you for a favour ?.

as your going to be using ViX on the box when you get around to it could you give me a full run down of the flash procedure for the quad ? and i'll nock up a flashing tutorial as i have with the Vu's and TM'S etc.

Thanks Larry.

richardinspain
20-10-13, 16:55
Yes just go ahead and flash with Vix, my box is only about a couple of months old and i had the same questions as you, reading a lot and getting bogged down with bootloader info (as i hadnt had to worry about it with previous box i had) As i said all the gbquad images (except team red) should work on the boot loader already installed..I had to put in a older (i think if i remember correctly) to get the team red image to boot but came back to vix anyway as its nice and stable

richardinspain
20-10-13, 17:27
as your going to be using ViX on the box when you get around to it could you give me a full run down of the flash procedure for the quad ? and i'll nock up a flashing tutorial as i have with the Vu's and TM'S etc.

Thanks Larry.

Hi Larry

1, download latest VIX image
2, Unzip and you are left with a folder called 'Gigablue' (in this folder there is another folder called 'quad' but don't separate them'
3, Transfer the Gigablue folder to the root of a pen drive/usb stick
4, Switch off receiver by the rocker switch at the back of the receiver
5, Insert pen drive/usb stick into usb in the receiver
6, Switch receiver back on by rocker switch
7, After a few seconds you should see a message on the front screen of the receiver (not tv screen) which says something like 'detected/found new image/software'
8, Quickly press the ok button on the front of the receiver (not on the remote control)...you only have a few seconds to do this otherwise it will boot up the image thats on the receiver..If you miss it just turn off receiver and turn back on
9, Receiver will load image and will tel you this with the front blue led light flashing purple and blue, will take a few mins to load and will boot automatically, DO NOT turn off receiver while flashing

If it doesn't work then it could be the usb stick/pen drive..I had to try 4 before i found a compatable one, also try the usb stick/pen drive in a different usb slot in the receiver

Hope this helps
Richard

Larry-G
20-10-13, 17:30
Hi Larry

1, download latest VIX image
2, Unzip and you are left with a folder called 'Gigablue' (in this folder there is another folder called 'quad' but don't separate them'
3, Transfer the Gigablue folder to the root of a pen drive/usb stick
4, Switch off receiver by the rocker switch at the back of the receiver
5, Insert pen drive/usb stick into usb in the receiver
6, Switch receiver back on by rocker switch
7, After a few seconds you should see a message on the front screen of the receiver (not tv screen) which says something like 'detected/found new image/software'
8, Quickly press the ok button on the front of the receiver (not on the remote control)...you only have a few seconds to do this otherwise it will boot up the image thats on the receiver..If you miss it just turn off receiver and turn back on
9, Receiver will load image and will tel you this with the front blue led light flashing purple and blue, will take a few mins to load and will boot automatically, DO NOT turn off receiver while flashing

If it doesn't work then it could be the usb stick/pen drive..I had to try 4 before i found a compatable one, also try the usb stick/pen drive in a different usb slot in the receiver

Hope this helps
Richard

Many thanks for posting the flash procedure.

richardinspain
20-10-13, 17:32
No worries, hope it helps, also just remembered i think the usb stick/pen drive will have to be formatted to fat32

Larry-G
20-10-13, 17:52
Hi Richard.

Many thanks for confirming the flash procedure for me, Here is my first draft, if you could proof read it for me please i'll add it to the forum and download site if all is ok.

Larry-G
20-10-13, 18:03
v2 of the tutorial with a couple of minor alterations.

richardinspain
20-10-13, 18:59
Hi Pheonix
Looks pretty good to me
although i did get through 2 pairs of underpants

AJT
20-10-13, 19:57
v2 of the tutorial with a couple of minor alterations.

I think the box might become a little more popular now.Its a good price for a twin.I was drawn in by the LCD display and no fan.
I use solo2 as my main box at present i also have a venton HD1(another little gem) and i find the fan in solo2 quite noisy and all my attempts to fit a quiter one have failed as its a weird size and has a very small 3 pin connection.I have it as low as possible to keep the temp down but i can still hear the fan when the tv goes quite.so will see how i get on with the HD quad.
might try out the new PrismCube ruby as well.

duoduo
20-10-13, 20:51
Glad you brought that up, perhaps I should start a new a thread.. But will there be a vix image made for prismcube like blackhole?

AJT
20-10-13, 21:00
Glad you brought that up, perhaps I should start a new a thread.. But will there be a vix image made for prismcube like blackhole?

I hope so its the only image for me.Blackhole have used origanal image to build on.

Larry-G
20-10-13, 21:05
I hope so its the only image for me.Blackhole have used origanal image to build on.

No plans for us to offer support for the prismcube as far as i'm aware but then again i'm not the one who makes those decisions and it's a totally different platform to E2.

AJT
20-10-13, 22:30
No plans for us to offer support for the prismcube as far as i'm aware but then again i'm not the one who makes those decisions and it's a totally different platform to E2.

yes which on the face of it may not suit me.

Larry-G
20-10-13, 22:32
yes which on the face of it may not suit me.

A lot of people are buying the prismcube expecting Duo2 performance, this is not the case, prismcube is a generation 1 device, first of its kind and very low spec. by all means buy one if you want to but remember your not going to get a mature system like your used to with enigma2.

duoduo
21-10-13, 07:52
I would only be considering prismcube for xbmc purposes, i am more than happy with the viewing pleasures my solo2 give me.

AJT
21-10-13, 10:11
A lot of people are buying the prismcube expecting Duo2 performance, this is not the case, prismcube is a generation 1 device, first of its kind and very low spec. by all means buy one if you want to but remember your not going to get a mature system like your used to with enigma2.

Yes you are right and a good reason to wait a good while and see what happens.