PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a Cloned VU+ DUO

degoosefish
19-10-13, 21:50
HI I just came across a friend who has a VU+ DUO twin tuner installed which is supporting Blackhole I want to put Vix Image onto the box but I am terrified of bricking the box if it is a clone. I honestly believe that it is a genuine Vu Duo but I would like to be able to complete a couple of checks for piece of mind. Can anyone tell me how I can check to ensure it is an official vu receiver
He claims that he was told that the box is a VU DUO but I can't verify. I have no experience of Clones so I don't know what to look for I can only imagine that the serial number should be a start but do the clone people clone the serial also ?? help please thanks

Larry-G
19-10-13, 22:45
a good place to start would be to see if there are any stickers identifying it as a particular version 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc. also if there are any stickers pointing towards a web address.

degoosefish
19-10-13, 23:35
will do I was hoping someone would outline a couple of key features that definitely give it away. I see some pictures on internet with different pcb boards but i just need something that is a clear indication so I can flash it with vix

judge
19-10-13, 23:43
Just flash it with the latest version on http://openvix.co.uk
If it doesn't work, all you'll need to do is reflash with a 'clone safe' version, at which stage we would have to stop offering support.

degoosefish
20-10-13, 10:12
I appreciate the feedback and I really don't want to flash it unless it is an original vu is there any component or feature on or in the box of a vu duo which will clearly not be on a cloned unit.

saxon
20-10-13, 10:29
one way you could tell if its a clone they always come with a RS232 Board + RS232 Cable ask your friend if one was included when he bought his duo and have a
look at the instruction booklets always feel really cheap.
Where s the VU+ manuals are of good quality

degoosefish
21-10-13, 23:12
ok will do I had a look at the manual and it looks authentic I think its a vu original flashing it on friday so fingers crossed I will check for that Rs232 also cheers

BubbleBalls
21-10-13, 23:32
How much did he pay? Significantly lower than RRP means its a clone - common sense. If the price is so low then the buyer should know something is not quite right - and not expect to keep it up to date.

I can understand if guys sell clones and are being upfront about it, but the scum of the scum goes to aholes selling at prices akin to the original like here
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?t=30727
Unfortunately this tech is often abused, to milk the unknowing people and exploit genuine devs (like Vix), for work that is mostly done for free.

I was given enough info to get to grips in handling this hobby from a mate - he set me up then refused to be hands on after that - it thought me a lot. Give a man a fish........etc.

Tapatalker

degoosefish
24-10-13, 22:27
Just an update on this thread- is it a clone or not a clone - so far he paid top bucks for it so he was either ripped off or got the real deal, anyway. He bought it from a website which I won't say but when I had a look at the site this guy sells everything including the kitchen sink. Anyway - I have it here and no rs232 cable in box which is great. The manual looks authentic. There is a VU serial number on the back on a white sticker and some VU Plus info in the box. Pre flash check everything suggests 100% original as best as I can tell. I have never bought a clone so I don't know if the clone people clone all the documentation also. Anyway here goes!!!!!
Flashed Vix onto the VU all good its responding exactly as I would hope. Thanks again for all feedback and advice offered.:thumbsup:

Can i just add that if anyone reads this thread and needs to buy STB's or is thinking Vu+ products, don't take a chance with clones for piece of mind purchase from WORLD OF SATELLITE
I still don't know if this box is a clone or not but I know my Vu+ products are the real deal cause I buy from WOS.:cool:

satmanbasil
25-10-13, 02:02
Hi mate

think if you have it working with latest build then it can be taken as a pucker vu+ as clones are not working with latest builds of vix image, as many are now starting to find out.

degoosefish
25-10-13, 10:22
cheers Satman good to know :thumbsup: