PDA

View Full Version : Using Vu+ to access remote movies on PC freezes VIX image for long time

cardomons
17-10-13, 21:37
Hi,

Okay this may have been answered before so apologies for any repetition.

I have a Vu+ Duo with a VIX image, (build 748), I have recently installed Project Valerie as I wish to use it as a media centre with posters and film information, after some initial problems I managed to get this set-up accessing files on a number of different devices scattered around the house including a Windows 7 PC and this predominantly works well.

Here's the thing, the PC when in use can be accessed no problems, however, if it goes into standby mode then the Vu+ will freeze with spinning logo (for an annoyingly longish time), I believe this is when the box is trying to re-establish the mount as I have auto remount enabled. If I telnet onto the box and cd to '/media/net' and run the 'ls' command it will also freeze there. If I go onto the PC and make sure the folder that is being accessed is available then eventually both the VIX image and the telnet session will come back to life and everything is okay..

What is the best way for keeping the mounted drive alive while the box is on, using WOL plugin or maybe writing a script and adding it to the crontimers? I know I could turn off the power saving on the PC but would prefer to use the box to keep the mount alive when not in standby.

Thanks and regards
cardomons

judge
17-10-13, 21:53
Not sure if this would work, but if you enable debug logs & set the mounted PC drive as the location to save the logs to, it might keep the drive awake while your DUO is on...
Worth a try?

cactikid
17-10-13, 22:01
my thoughts are on the pc going into standby and wonder if network connections close also,i am setting up a network drive with films on that and can access at any time as pc is in standby,no idea if a screensaver stops the pc from going into standby?

cardomons
17-10-13, 22:32
Doh! The machine has a wifi network connection so if the machine goes go to sleep then the wifi turns off, I used to have a home plug connected but had to use this elsewhere

Also the PC was set to go into Sleep mode every 15 minutes, I have changed this to 1 hour, with the auto re-mount set to 1 hour I am hoping this will remedy the frozen box problem, trying to make it more complicated than it should be

Thanks for your ideas