PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo HMDI stopped working

Ibby
16-10-13, 22:26
Hello folks I was wondering if you could help me please. I have two vu+ duo 's in the house for the last. 2.5 years never given me any real problems but the one in the bedroom has stopped giving any Hdmi signal all of a sudden.

I was off work the other day as we were having a new boiler fitted in the house. Anyway the electrician needed to do some work on the electrics for the boiler and so had to switch the electrics off from the mains a couple of times a day. I'm now thinking that this has somehow done something to the hdmi socket on the box as it's not giving a signal on the tv anymore (it was working fine in the morning before the electrician started to do his work).

I have tried all 3 hdmi sockets on the tv and no joy and also tried the hdmi cable from the ps3 and again no signal but the ps3 worked fine. I then tried a scart cable and the box is working so therefore there must be something wrong with the hdmi socket on the box? The box was purchased from reputable sellers (*********** based in Leicester). Is there anything anyone could recommend at all or will I have to give them a call to try and get it fixed? Looking at the hdmi socket on the outside it looks fine?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

judge
16-10-13, 22:30
I then tried a scart cable and the box is not working so therefore there must be something wrong with the hdmi socket on the box?

??? so, it's not working on SCART either?
Maybe just try a fresh flash and see if it sorts it?

Ibby
16-10-13, 22:43
??? so, it's not working on SCART either?
Maybe just try a fresh flash and see if it sorts it?

Sorry should say it is working with SCART

judge
16-10-13, 22:48
Sounds like a fried HDMI so.
I'd still try a fresh flash, build 753 is currently available on http://openvix.co.uk

You can connect both scart & hdmi at the same time, so should be easy enough to find out after a fresh flash.

Ibby
16-10-13, 22:57
Sounds like a fried HDMI so.
I'd still try a fresh flash, build 753 is currently available on http://openvix.co.uk

You can connect both scart & hdmi at the same time, so should be easy enough to find out after a fresh flash.

If it is the hdmi that's gone is it a straight forward repair? Don't think I will be doing it myself as I'm a complete pleb when it comes to stuff like that! Should I then go back to where I purchased it from? It's probably out of warranty now I would imagine.

Will give it a reflash tomorrow and report back thanks for the help mate

judge
16-10-13, 23:07
Yeah, if it's a fried HDMI, I'd return to shop or see if a local electronics shop can do a repair.
Worth a fresh flash first though, might save you a trip & a few £££.

Also, as you can still connect via scart, maybe take a screenshot of the A/V settings & upload it here.
Menu -> Setup -> System -> A/V Settings.

Ibby
16-10-13, 23:15
Yes I have connected via scart and it works fine just the picture quality isn't all that. Will give the reflash a go as the socket itself looks fine the box might have got scrambled a bit due being turned on and off at the mains a few times due to the electrician working in the house

Stanman
17-10-13, 12:34
You can also get a component to start converter which is supposed to be as good as hdmi. I used one earlier this year when hdmi went on my solo2.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Alec
17-10-13, 19:50
Hello folks I was wondering if you could help me please. I have two vu+ duo 's in the house for the last. 2.5 years never given me any real problems but the one in the bedroom has stopped giving any Hdmi signal all of a sudden.

I was off work the other day as we were having a new boiler fitted in the house. Anyway the electrician needed to do some work on the electrics for the boiler and so had to switch the electrics off from the mains a couple of times a day. I'm now thinking that this has somehow done something to the hdmi socket on the box as it's not giving a signal on the tv anymore (it was working fine in the morning before the electrician started to do his work).

I have tried all 3 hdmi sockets on the tv and no joy and also tried the hdmi cable from the ps3 and again no signal but the ps3 worked fine. I then tried a scart cable and the box is working so therefore there must be something wrong with the hdmi socket on the box? The box was purchased from reputable sellers (*********** based in Leicester). Is there anything anyone could recommend at all or will I have to give them a call to try and get it fixed? Looking at the hdmi socket on the outside it looks fine?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My box is getting on a bit and the HDMI had stop working, and I moved it around a bit at the back and it started. Of all the connections over the years, I found the HDMI connection has been the most troublesome, any weakness or equipment between them don't handshake, and it does not work. I had to switch equipment off / on usually the TV for it to connect. I now have a sequence, and switch the TV on last to overcome this.

Ibby
17-10-13, 20:29
You can also get a component to start converter which is supposed to be as good as hdmi. I used one earlier this year when hdmi went on my solo2.

Sorry to be a pain but would you have a link to such a thing? Got home late from work tonight just can't be bothered to fiddle with the box tonight will do so tomorrow!

Ibby
18-10-13, 18:39

Right have just a fresh flash of the box (did not restore from backup) and it's clear the hdmi socket on the box doesn't work anymore (I tested the cable on the ps3 and it worked fine so no issues with that). I have the box working via scart but would appreciate some help on any other cables that could be used instead of hdmi in order to improve the picture quality as it isn't brilliant via scart!

Regarding repairing the box is it likely to be an expensive fix?

Thanks once again

pac2000
18-10-13, 18:56
Use Component To Connect To Your TV... It's The Green/Blue/Red Phono Sockets At The Back, And You'll Need To Send The Audio Through The Red And White Phono Connectors...

Here's One From Ebay That Has All 5 Connectors And Converts To HDMI For Your TV From £3.15 - £3.45(Depending On Length)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-5-RCA-RGB-Audio-Video-AV-HD-1080p-Component-Cable-1M-1-2M-1-5M-1-8M-2M-/310563388289?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Stanman
18-10-13, 19:37
Right have just a fresh flash of the box (did not restore from backup) and it's clear the hdmi socket on the box doesn't work anymore (I tested the cable on the ps3 and it worked fine so no issues with that). I have the box working via scart but would appreciate some help on any other cables that could be used instead of hdmi in order to improve the picture quality as it isn't brilliant via scart!

Regarding repairing the box is it likely to be an expensive fix?

Thanks once again

New motherboard, out of warranty gonne quite expensive, probably near enough price of new box.

Ibby
18-10-13, 20:16
Use Component To Connect To Your TV... It's The Green/Blue/Red Phono Sockets At The Back, And You'll Need To Send The Audio Through The Red And White Phono Connectors...

Here's One From Ebay That Has All 5 Connectors And Converts To HDMI For Your TV From £3.15 - £3.45(Depending On Length)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-5-RCA-RGB-Audio-Video-AV-HD-1080p-Component-Cable-1M-1-2M-1-5M-1-8M-2M-/310563388289?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Thanks mate will definitely be getting that cable as the pic quality isn't great with scart have been spoilt with HD!

Stanman
18-10-13, 20:18
Thanks mate will definitely be getting that cable as the pic quality isn't great with scart have been spoilt with HD!

One thing to check for you need to make sure the audio is on the right channel as I had to swap connectors on the one I bought

Rob van der Does
19-10-13, 11:32

This one is not going to work: HDMI is a digital signal. No way you can plug that in the component input.

You need something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IXOS-XHV704-Component-Video-Interconnect-75-ohm-co-ax-geometry-PC-OFC-Cable-/271298255317?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Ca bles_Adapters&hash=item3f2aa2d9d5
plus cabling for sound
or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C2G-3m-Velocity-Component-Video-RCA-Type-Audio-Combination-Cable-Sound-quality-/330884184256?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Ca bles_Adapters&hash=item4d0a3bf8c0
including analogue sound
or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RGB-Component-and-Optical-Cable-With-Gold-Plated-Connectors-5m-/380389487501?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Ca bles_Adapters&hash=item5890faf38d
including digital sound.

pac2000
19-10-13, 20:28
Sorry Ibby, But Rob Is Absolutely Correct... HDMI Is Digital, Component Is Analog... I Was Looking For A Component Cable And Came Across The One I Listed Above, And Didn't Think...

Ibby
20-10-13, 23:01
Sorry Ibby, But Rob Is Absolutely Correct... HDMI Is Digital, Component Is Analog... I Was Looking For A Component Cable And Came Across The One I Listed Above, And Didn't Think...

I ordered that cable pretty much straight away! No matter can return it within 14 days of receipt. Which of the above should I be purchasing then? I'm a bit confused!

Ibby
20-10-13, 23:12
Sorry I get it now. Need the top cable for video and one of the bottom two for sound if I wanted analogue or digital quality. Going to be pricey to spend on these cables!

Rob van der Does
21-10-13, 04:57
No, they are not expensive; I just linked the first ones I found, to try to prevent you from buying the wrong one.
You'll have to do a bit of searching yourself.

Ibby
09-12-13, 23:53
Right an update.

I finally managed to purchase this cable off amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003OST5FG/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37986871_TE_it em

I have put all the composite cables in the vu+ duo and my samsung LCD tv and the optical cable in the "audio out" optical socket in my TV and the same directly in the VU+ duo (where it says SNPP or the like). Anyways I get a very clear picture but no sound. Have I set this up correctly and are there any set up methods for me to get sound? Sorry about the questions but I have never used such cables before.

Also the menu on the VU+ duo when looking on my TV are too much to one side meaning some of the letters/ words cant be seen. I have tried to select "just scale" on my tv as this then used to work but for some reason the option on my tv to just scale is greyed out meaning the menus are not looking right. Any ideas? Thanks

Rob van der Does
10-12-13, 06:08
About audio: Most TV's only have a digital output, not an input. But if it is an input indeed: see if you have set downmix to off.

About overscan: most TV's only allow this to be switched off on a digital input, not on analogue inputs. So in this case you'll have to adjust OSD on your box.

Ibby
10-12-13, 07:58
About audio: Most TV's only have a digital output, not an input. But if it is an input indeed: see if you have set downmix to off.

About overscan: most TV's only allow this to be switched off on a digital input, not on analogue inputs. So in this case you'll have to adjust OSD on your box.

I have tried the downmix thing but still no sound. I take it the cable I have purchased should do the trick without having to mess with the settings?

Rob van der Does
10-12-13, 09:03
As I said: 'Most TV's only have a digital output, not an input'.

But yes: the digital output of the box is always active, regardless of any settings.

Andy_Hazza
10-12-13, 09:08
Ibby,
In your TV settings you should have an option that says 'Just Scan' or 'Just Scale', this is in the display or settings section, using this will correct your tv screen display.

Rob van der Does
10-12-13, 09:11
Ibby,
In your TV settings you should have an option that says 'Just Scan' or 'Just Scale', this is in the display or settings section, using this will correct your tv screen display.

Probably not:

Ibby
10-12-13, 15:02
As I said: 'Most TV's only have a digital output, not an input'.

But yes: the digital output of the box is always active, regardless of any settings.

Apologies about all of the questions I am a total novice when it comes to such things. As my tv only has a digital output I would assume I will need to purchase another cable for the sound?

Rob van der Does
10-12-13, 16:04
Most TV's do have an analogue input (red & white cinch-connector): worth a try to use that.
Not needed to buy a new cable for that: any cable with the red&white connectors (on both ends) will do.

Best look in the TV's manual to see what inputs are supported (together with the component video signal)

Peterj
10-12-13, 16:20
When both TV and STB support it, a good SCART cable can also do the job.
It has also RGB signal.

Ibby
10-12-13, 17:09
Already using SCART the picture isn't great

Rob van der Does
10-12-13, 17:45
I think Peterj means using the scart for sound only.

Ibby
10-12-13, 20:27
I think Peterj means using the scart for sound only.

Ah I get ya. Again I wouldn't have to do any fiddling for that would I? Sorry about the questions

Peterj
10-12-13, 21:13
I don't think you can use cinch RGB and scart the same time.
It's one port or the other.
Scart has 2 ways for video signal transport. Composite video over pin 19/20 and/or RGB over the pins 7,11,15 both using the same audio pins.
There are scart cables where 7,11,15 are not wired. This cable can only transport composite video.
A full wired scart cable can do both. In some case you have to choose on the device scart av or scart RGB.
Probably you have the cable with only composite video wired.

Rob van der Does
10-12-13, 22:56
Scart/RGB is an SD quality, while component is HD. So I would prefer to use component.

joysleep1
08-09-15, 18:07

Would this be HD signal?

Stanman
08-09-15, 19:11
I was told by mate it is

Rob van der Does
08-09-15, 20:33
Sure component is HD; the boxes even support 1080p over component.

joysleep1
08-09-15, 20:34
I was told by mate it is

but what do i do to achieve this,?
Anything else that can get me 720p signal other than HDMI?
Do i get a component to component cable ?
Can you possibly give me a link of what i need to buy?
Thanks Stan

joysleep1
08-09-15, 20:35
Sure component is HD; the boxes even support 1080p over component.

So ROb
Would a simple component to component cable from my TV into the BOx produce HD signal without any probs?

Rob van der Does
08-09-15, 20:42
Sure.
I've even used red/white/yellow cinch cables for that purpose.

joysleep1
09-09-15, 09:28
Sure.
I've even used red/white/yellow cinch cables for that purpose.

I can not seem to find a component to component cable to buy.
Any links?

DaMacFunkin
09-09-15, 09:44
Buy 3 yellow 75 ohm rca male to rca male cables and wind some red tape round one, some blue tape round another and some green round another.

joysleep1
09-09-15, 10:17
Buy 3 yellow 75 ohm rca male to rca male cables and wind some red tape round one, some blue tape round another and some green round another.

Any links to purchase would be appreciated

joysleep1
09-09-15, 10:47
I think i have found something that might work but need confirmation

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cables-Go-80252-Velocity-Component/dp/B0020MLAJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441791888&sr=8-1&keywords=component+cable+with+audio

So i plug these 5 cables into the correct colours on my TV and my Vu+ duo and i should get HD signal aswell as sound right?
Unless this is completely different.

Anyone?

joysleep1
09-09-15, 10:54

Ok i think i have found what you mean
It is this right?
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/product.php?product_id=15

But how would i get audio. This is video only.

Rob van der Does
09-09-15, 11:24
Component is always about video(-only).
Depending on how you want audio you can use an optical cable or a white/red cinch cable.

joysleep1
09-09-15, 11:35
Component is always about video(-only).
Depending on how you want audio you can use an optical cable or a white/red cinch cable.

Yh so ROb
This cable in the link pasted is video aswell as audio right

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-Video-Quality-plated-connection/dp/B001GRZ3AI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441794684&sr=8-2&keywords=10m+RGB+component

So this should work without any problems right?

Rob van der Does
09-09-15, 12:52
That cable is video only. An example of the audio cable is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Phono-Plugs-GOLD-Mtr/dp/B0007RQY88/ref=pd_sim_23_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=078EXMB9S1Y986DGTV18&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

joysleep1
09-09-15, 17:29

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Phono-Plugs-GOLD-Mtr/dp/B0007RQY88/ref=pd_sim_23_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=078EXMB9S1Y986DGTV18&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

But rob
It has five wires. 3 are for video and 2 are for audio. Isn't it?.
So I shouldn't need a separate cable.

joysleep1
09-09-15, 17:31

Also rob if you look at the review. Someone purchased it and got video aswell as audio with this cable.

joysleep1
09-09-15, 20:40
ohhhh i see what you mean rob. Yh the picture shows 6 cables. 3 from each side producing only the video. Ok i understand.
So to get audio aswell i need to get that other 2 x RCA/Phono cable too. Once i have all that hooked up, i will get hd picture and sound right?
Do they make cables where everything comes in one wire as in video and audio all in one as opposed to buying separate cables for video and sound?

Clabs
09-09-15, 20:52
Joysleep

Yes - you need the cable you linked to and the one Rob kindly linked to and that will work fine - HD picture and stereo sound.

Also - yes - you can buy all-in-one cables but they are a bit less common. You would probably find it cheaper to go with the cables already linked to.

What length cable do you need? The one you linked to was a 10 metre one.

Rob van der Does
10-09-15, 05:09
But rob
It has five wires. 3 are for video and 2 are for audio. Isn't it?.
So I shouldn't need a separate cable.
Not sure what you mean. You pointed me to

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-Video-Quality-plated-connection/dp/B001GRZ3AI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441794684&sr=8-2&keywords=10m+RGB+component
which is a 10m long component video cable (3 wires: red/green/blue).

Rob van der Does
10-09-15, 05:55
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cables-Go-80252-Velocity-Component/dp/B0020MLAJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441791888&sr=8-1&keywords=component+cable+with+audio
is an example of an all-in-one cable.

joysleep1
10-09-15, 09:28
Yh sorry ROb
I was confused. erm
I need a 5m for video and audio.
Si i will have a look around
Thanks guys