PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Vu+ Duo crashed after updates

warby23
15-10-13, 19:23
Hi, can anyone help please, I have a Vu+ Duo box running the VIX software, I have gone into the menu>Setup>Software updates and run the updates available for downloading. After this my box rebooted but is now getting stuck booting up. I get nothing on my TV and the box display shows "Starting Up". This is as far as I can get now, is there any way to get this back without losing any of my config on the box?

thanks

Larry-G
15-10-13, 19:31
as part of the update process the image would have created a settings backup that can be restored in the case of something like this happening, simply reflash with a new image and select yes to restore a settings backup when presented with that option during the initial setup wizard or FIW.

now as to why it happened thats any ones guess, could be you updated from a really old image, maybe you had some incompatible plugins installed or maybe the box is a clone either way unless you give us more info we will never know.

judge
15-10-13, 19:33
can you ftp in & see if it's creating crash logs?
by default they will be in /home/root/logs/

warby23
15-10-13, 19:34
To be honest I am unsure of the version of the image that was on the box, and again I'm not too sure on the plugins installed, the only thing I am certain off is that it isn't a clone!! I am re-flashing now and will let you know how i get on
thanks

warby23
15-10-13, 19:41
I dont get an IP address on the box (its not showing in my connected device list on router) so am unable to FTP into it

warby23
15-10-13, 19:56
I have just tried to re-flash the box via front USB, it went through the process Reading USB> Programming> Finished Remove USB & Reboot. After the reboot the box still get stuck with the message "starting", I get no display via HDMI
I used the latest image from this website that was last modified 10-Oct-13
any other ideas?

judge
15-10-13, 20:03
Is it a genuine non clone box?
If so, you could try flashing the bootloader first.
Both image & bootloader can be found on http://openvix.co.uk

It might be worth downloading the image again as your previous downoad may have been corrupt.

warby23
15-10-13, 20:09
you have now got me thinking about if it is a clone or not, it was bought as a genuine box so better not be a clone, how do I check?

I have just tried to download/install an older image too but same result (it did show up "erasing Flash" in the process though so looks like it was flashing correctly, I will try the bootloader now

judge
15-10-13, 20:14
Lots of pics on the forums of genuine V clone boxes, do a search.
Also, how long have you had it & how much did you pay?

Might be worth trying to flash an original VU image too...

warby23
15-10-13, 20:43
Judge, could you please point me in the right direction for pictures to verify if genuine/clone? I have just spent the last 30mins searching the forums and also the Vuplus website and most of the images coming back are for the Solo box and not the Duo. The only thing that I have managed to confirm from the Vuplus website is that the serial number sticker is in the correct location!
thanks again

warby23
15-10-13, 20:53
just to answer your other questions, It is a friends box so I am unsure how much he paid but he has had it for about 9 months

judge
15-10-13, 20:57
Can't find all the pics now, but here is a post by Mr. Mister thast might help...
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14650-Caution!-Vu-Clone&p=106787&viewfull=1#post106787

warby23
15-10-13, 20:58
Ok I have just noticed another sticker (staring me blatantly in the face) on the lid of the box. This sticker is now making me think that it is not a genuine box, it reads:
Warning
Don't update software from other place, for it maybe damage the receiver.
For new software, please got xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As you can see, this is broken english and also advertising a dodgy website (sorry for the link by the way) so I am now assuming that this is infact a clone!!
I can only apologise for wasting your time in seeking help in this forum, I genuinly did not know! I, myself, own a genuine Vu+ Solo2 box that was purchased via this site and do not condone the clones, I will give this back to my friend and tell him to go back to the guy he bought it from!
thanks for alll your help and sorry once again

Larry-G
15-10-13, 21:01
Ok I have just noticed another sticker (staring me blatantly in the face) on the lid of the box. This sticker is now making me think that it is not a genuine box, it reads:
Warning
Don't update software from other place, for it maybe damage the receiver.
For new software, please got xxxxxxxxxx

As you can see, this is broken english and also advertising a dodgy website (sorry for the link by the way) so I am now assuming that this is infact a clone!!
I can only apologise for wasting your time in seeking help in this forum, I genuinly did not know! I, myself, own a genuine Vu+ Solo2 box that was purchased via this site and do not condone the clones, I will give this back to my friend and tell him to go back to the guy he bought it from!
thanks for alll your help and sorry once again

yes thats a clone as that URL directs you to a so called "safe" site for clone safe images. sadly it's getting all too common to see people conned into buying clones under the guise of genuine units.

warby23
15-10-13, 21:01
just a side note though, The box looks identical inside & out to the original on that link!!

warby23
15-10-13, 21:02
ok thanks phoenix, time to close this post now I think!! thanks again

judge
15-10-13, 21:02
yeah, as pheonix says, you've been stuck ith a clone...
No support can or will be given, sorry.

Larry-G
15-10-13, 21:07
ok thanks phoenix, time to close this post now I think!! thanks again

I'm very sorry that the unit turned out to be counterfeit and i hope you can understand why we take the stance we do against these illegal, unsafe, counterfeit products. The last thing we want to do is alienate forum members and we always try our best never to turn a user away who asks for help but we cant get involved with clones.

warby23
15-10-13, 21:13
I'm very sorry that the unit turned out to be counterfeit and i hope you can understand why we take the stance we do against these illegal, unsafe, counterfeit products. The last thing we want to do is alienate forum members and we always try our best never to turn a user away who asks for help but we cant get involved with clones.

Of course I understand and fully support the stance against the clones, this is why I am giving the box back to my friend in the same condition that he gave it to me. If he wants it "fixing" by me his only option is to buy a genuine box!!
thanks again

Larry-G
15-10-13, 21:13
Of course I understand and fully support the stance against the clones, this is why I am giving the box back to my friend in the same condition that he gave it to me. If he wants it "fixing" by me his only option is to buy a genuine box!!
thanks again

Thank you, and with that i'll close this thread down.