PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo] CrossEPG

bartjunited
14-10-13, 10:09
Is there an updated version of Cross EPG?
Whats the latest version out there?

andyblac
14-10-13, 10:54
Is there an updated version of Cross EPG?
Whats the latest version out there?

the version in feeds is the latest version, the author is not longer maintaining it, he left the E2 scene a while ago.

bartjunited
14-10-13, 11:09
thanks of the update i think im running v0.6.2 or something

would you recommend continue using this or recommend something else?

andyblac
14-10-13, 11:16
thanks of the update i think im running v0.6.2 or something

would you recommend continue using this or recommend something else?

for OpenTv they is nothing else, but you want to use XML based downloads, try XLMEPGImporter

bartjunited
14-10-13, 11:30
for OpenTv they is nothing else, but you want to use XML based downloads, try XLMEPGImporter

thank you
is there a guide you can recommend for XLMEPGImporter, i assume i can download this as a plugin?

afc_rich
14-10-13, 12:52
It is included in the VIX image under EPG.

You select the Rytec sources you wish to download and set a schedule for it to run.

I personally would always use CrossEPG/OpenTV for Sky UK

bartjunited
14-10-13, 13:09
Ive always used cross epg as well but recently been having issues with it.

afc_rich
14-10-13, 13:31
What are the issues?

bartjunited
15-10-13, 08:37
It does not appear to update some of the channels.

when i have tried to manually update it, it has either not updated or the box has crashed

afc_rich
15-10-13, 12:30

when i have tried to manually update it, it has either not updated or the box has crashed

Is CrossEPG configured to only update from 28.2 Open TV?

CrossEPG loves memory and I have found that it becomes extremely unreliable when used for more than one EPG

guff daddy
15-10-13, 18:25

Whenever I have CrossEPG problems, I do the following
1) delete epg.dat
2) delete the contents of the crossepg director
3) stop/restart enigma2 (init4 and init6) to prevent it saving the epg.dat
4) redownload the crossepg data

Larry-G
15-10-13, 18:29
Whenever I have CrossEPG problems, I do the following
1) delete epg.dat
2) delete the contents of the crossepg director
4) redownload the crossepg data

I'd do it slightly differently.

1) stop enigma with the init 4 command via a telnet session.
2) delete the contents of the crossepg directory including the EPG.dat file.
3) restart enigma with the init 3 command via a telnet session.
4) redownload the crossepg data.

you should always kill enigma before editing live files such as EPG or Bouquets.

Rob van der Does
16-10-13, 03:49
'init 6' is a system-reboot; Enigma start is 'init 3'.

bartjunited
16-10-13, 08:41
cheers for the updates guys

i'm not comfortable using telnet commands as I've never used them so I'll have to have a think about this

afc_rich
16-10-13, 11:37
cheers for the updates guys

i'm not comfortable using telnet commands as I've never used them so I'll have to have a think about this

You will find yourself over time needing to use telnet more and more. It is the beauty of owning a Linux receiver. Don't be scared of it, just make sure you understand what you are doing first.

To telnet:

1) Download a program called PuTTY - This is a client that will enable you to connect to your receiver.
2) Launch putty.exe, type the IP address of your Solo, select telnet and click Open- You now have a session to the receiver.
3) Logon to the box: Username - root Password - <Leave Blank> - You should now be logged on as root (Administrator)

To Clean EPG do as Pheonix suggested:

1) Type init 4 - This stops enigma2 (Screen on tv should freeze / go black)
2) Type rm -R <location of CrossEPG folder> - for me this is "rm -R /hdd/CrossEPG" (Removes CrossEPG folder)
3) Type rm <location of epg.dat> - for me this is "rm /hdd/epg.dat" (Removes epg.dat file)
4) Type init 3 - This starts enigma2 (Picture will return on tv)
5) Close Putty window
6) Using the Solo remote press blue button and Download via CrossEPG

bartjunited
16-10-13, 11:59
Thanks Rich that is really useful and good of you to gimme a quick guide
I'll have a go with that.

Cheers

Bart

You will find yourself over time needing to use telnet more and more. It is the beauty of owning a Linux receiver. Don't be scared of it, just make sure you understand what you are doing first.

To telnet:

1) Download a program called PuTTY - This is a client that will enable you to connect to your receiver.
2) Launch putty.exe, type the IP address of your Solo, select telnet and click Open- You now have a session to the receiver.
3) Logon to the box: Username - root Password - <Leave Blank> - You should now be logged on as root (Administrator)

To Clean EPG do as Pheonix suggested:

1) Type init 4 - This stops enigma2 (Screen on tv should freeze / go black)
2) Type rm -R <location of CrossEPG folder> - for me this is "rm -R /hdd/CrossEPG" (Removes CrossEPG folder)
3) Type rm <location of epg.dat> - for me this is "rm /hdd/epg.dat" (Removes epg.dat file)
4) Type init 3 - This starts enigma2 (Picture will return on tv)
5) Close Putty window
6) Using the Solo remote press blue button and Download via CrossEPG

bartjunited
31-10-13, 14:30
Can i delete the Crossepg folder and the epg.dat file using FTP with the box off rather than telnet?

I tried the steps above using Telnet within the VUCC console but it didnt work for me.

Burnham
31-10-13, 14:42
Yes. Use Telnet init 4 / init 3 to stop & start enigma.

Whilst enigma is stopped you can use an FTP program to delete your EPG.dat file

bartjunited
31-10-13, 15:29
init 4 works for me to stop enigma

but init 3 (please confirm there should be a space) doesnt restart enigma for me.

Is it ok for me to us the telnet session within the VUCC console or do i need to get Putty?

Alec
31-10-13, 15:33
thank you
is there a guide you can recommend for XLMEPGImporter, i assume i can download this as a plugin?

I use both on different boxes, and cross EPG has been more reliable.

Burnham
31-10-13, 16:36
init 3 (please confirm there should be a space) doesnt restart enigma for me.
Is it ok for me to us the telnet session within the VUCC console or do i need to get Putty?

There is a space between init & 3. I don't use VuCC, but I don't see why it should not work, especially if init 4 worked for you. I found that my box was slow to respond to the init 3 restart command - it took at least two minutes to start up. Did you give it enough time?

bartjunited
31-10-13, 16:52
after i gave it the restart command the screen was just black and the indicator on the box didnt do anything either so i thought it was not doing anything so i switch it off from the mains and restarted

Larry-G
init 3 performs a full GUI restart it's not a instant on / off switch, so two minutes depending on the receiver is fine.

bartjunited
ok thanks will try again

bartjunited
01-11-13, 14:14
ive attached a screenshot of my EPG settings does this look right?

i managed to use the init commands to stop and start the box and used FTP to delete the dat file and cross epg folder too. for now i will keep the epg schedule download to disable and update it manually to see if this helps

bartjunited
05-11-13, 16:09
when trying to manually update the EPG does this every fail for anyone?

When trying this I have sometimes see the progress bar saying "downloading updates" and it doesnt do anything
I eventually exit out to find nothing has changed?

Burnham
05-11-13, 17:05
Manual EPG download should work. The Solo is short of processing power but should be able to do a single download like OpenTV on 28.2°e.

Are you sure your internet connection is clean - what happens when you try to download plugins - that does not do anything, but is a good test of your internet connection. Just exit is you see the plugins menu.

Larry-G
05-11-13, 18:02
when trying to manually update the EPG does this every fail for anyone?

When trying this I have sometimes see the progress bar saying "downloading updates" and it doesnt do anything
I eventually exit out to find nothing has changed?

have you tried setting up a swap file when downloading the EPG ?.

bartjunited
05-11-13, 21:14
I have a 30mb cable broadband connection so the internet connection should be fine.
I've downloaded plugins without any problem too and they install properly.

I've a 96mb swap file stored on my external hard drive
I'm using a 2.5inch non powered hard drive and it's mapped as media/usb

is there anything I'm doing wrong

Larry-G
05-11-13, 23:12
please start from the begining as it's now getting a little confusing.

What method exactly are you using for the EPG download and how exactly is is configured ?. ( i only use CrossPEG with the OpenTV sources for 28.2 east, so i'm not familiar with other methods ).

bartjunited
06-11-13, 09:21
I am using the same settings as you've described for the epg

I was until this week setting the epg to download automatically at 1 am. I have an issue whereby sometimes in the morning the box will not switch on at all and the only way to turn it on is to switch of and on from the mains.

I've posted a question about this in the forum and someone suggested that the auto download of the epg could be the issue and suggested to disable this and update manually. I've had this disabled for about a week now and so far the box has been fine.

what I do find is that when I try to manually download the epg using the plugin it does not always update and sometimes crashes. last week I also deleted the cross epg and epg.dat file and let the box recreate this in case that was an issue too

thanks in advance

Burnham
06-11-13, 17:31
Just to summarise where you are now - please say if I've got this wrong.

① CrossEPG download works every time you do a manual download - box does not crash
② When you set up CrossEPG to do an automatic download at 1am each night - the download fails and the box crashes

I think you have hit the processing limit of the Solo. However, there is one one thing you could test. Instead of using your external USB hard drive to put the swap file you could try to set up a swap file on a standard USB memory stick. It is only a guess on my part that the USB stick might be quicker than your USB hard drive.

Rob van der Does
06-11-13, 17:40
It is only a guess on my part that the USB stick might be quicker than your USB hard drive.
It's not .

bartjunited
06-11-13, 20:20
Just to summarise where you are now - please say if I've got this wrong.

① CrossEPG download works every time you do a manual download - box does not crash
② When you set up CrossEPG to do an automatic download at 1am each night - the download fails and the box crashes

I think you have hit the processing limit of the Solo. However, there is one one thing you could test. Instead of using your external USB hard drive to put the swap file you could try to set up a swap file on a standard USB memory stick. It is only a guess on my part that the USB stick might be quicker than your USB hard drive.

crossepg does not work everything either via automatic download or manual.

I've only recently disabled the auto download because someone suggested it might resolve my issue where the box sometimes fails to turn on in the morning and I have to hard reset from the mains to turn it on

thanks everyone for your help

Larry-G
06-11-13, 20:26
I use CrossEPG on all of my receivers without any major issues although most of my boxes are not powered on 24/7 but when needed for testing. That said i do have a Ultimo, Solo2 and a TM nano which are powered on all the time and have CrossPEG set to run at 04:00 every morning for sky uk with no issues ever.

bartjunited
06-11-13, 20:33
could it just be the solo itself then
I do wish now that I had got a duo but am a newbie to Sat boxes and didn't think I'd need the dual tuner and knew nothing about the power of the boxes themselves

I don't know what else I can try

I'm wondering whether the dat file has corrupted in the past causing the box not to download the epg and then not turn on.

I've recently deleted the dat file and the cross epg folder so it's new now and have just set the auto download back on today so will monitor whether the epg downloads overnight every day and if I have issues with the box not turning on

Larry-G
06-11-13, 20:37
I have never used a solo but it is very limited in memory / flash and CrossEPG is a very hungry application which is why we recommend a swap file be used on such boxes ( Duo, Solo ).

s1m0nw
06-11-13, 20:43
Phoenix could it be the fact hes using a portable hdd rather than one that has its own power supply that could be the cause.

I myself recently attempted to mount a usb portable hdd to giga for epg and other things and I couldnt for the life of me get it to work steady.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Larry-G
06-11-13, 20:44
Phoenix could it be the fact hes using a portable hdd rather than one that has its own power supply that could be the cause.

I myself recently attempted to mount a usb portable hdd to giga for epg and other things and I couldnt for the life of me get it to work steady.

It's certainly possible, but i'm not a expert on it so would not like to say with certainty.

s1m0nw
06-11-13, 20:47
Only thought id mention that as I came across a thread on here regarding mounting usb drives and it needed to be mains powered. Its in the vu solo section as a sticky i'd post the link but on my phone.

Larry-G
06-11-13, 20:51
Only thought id mention that as I came across a thread on here regarding mounting usb drives and it needed to be mains powered. Its in the vu solo section as a sticky i'd post the link but on my phone.

yes i know the thread, It's certainly possible if the HDD is drawing it's power from the receiver that it's not stable resulting in the EPG not being able to use it as a mount point when downloading, although thats speculation on my part.

bartjunited
06-11-13, 21:15
if it was to do with poweR for the hdd then surely it would just not work at all

is there anyway to create a swap file larger than 96mb as that could help

bartjunited
06-11-13, 21:17
good to see you back on the forum

abu baniaz
07-11-13, 00:38
is there anyway to create a swap file larger than 96mb as that could help
That was implemented a few updates back. Please double check.

bartjunited
07-11-13, 09:18

When i go into the Swap Manager I only get the option of choosing a 96MB swap file and nothing larger

Let me know if I am looking in the wrong place or if I'm supposed to create it another way.

s1m0nw
07-11-13, 09:20

If your on a version before 660 then u need to do a fresh update.

bartjunited
07-11-13, 09:26
If your on a version before 660 then u need to do a fresh update.

ok will need to check but i updated my image only a month or so ago

Rob van der Does
07-11-13, 09:41
if it was to do with poweR for the hdd then surely it would just not work at all
Most certainly not!
An USB-powered HDD can cause all kinds of instabilities. It can work well (especially for recording and playback, as that are constant data-streams) and it can fully malfunction for seek & write small files (costs more power).
As the Solo definitely needs a swapfile to get Cross going, and an internal HDD isn't possible, I would connect an USB-stick (for 256MB swap and picons).

bartjunited
07-11-13, 10:27
Most certainly not!
An USB-powered HDD can cause all kinds of instabilities. It can work well (especially for recording and playback, as that are constant data-streams) and it can fully malfunction for seek & write small files (costs more power).
As the Solo definitely needs a swapfile to get Cross going, and an internal HDD isn't possible, I would connect an USB-stick (for 256MB swap and picons).

To confirm then if i want to add a USB stick for Picons and Swap I would do the following.

- Insert stick in the front.
- Go to mount manager and set up mount
- restart box
- mount usb stick as media/usb2 (will this format it at this point as well or do i need to do so seperately)
- restart box?
- create swap file on usb (will this allow me to create a swap file larger than 96mb)
- point Cross EPG to usb
- point Picons to usb (not sure how to do that)

cheers Bart

Rob van der Does
07-11-13, 10:38
No: before mounting go to 'storage devices' and initialise the stick (make sure to choose the correct device).
Once done you can mount etc.

Any recent ViX-image allows the creation of up to 256MB swapfiles.

For picons: best is to de-install them. When you install them again you can point to the USB-stick.

bartjunited
07-11-13, 10:56
ok yesterday I tried to set up the usb stick and went to hard disk menu and did not see the usb stick in there.

will try again and look for storage devices.

don't know what I'm doing wrong then in swap manager as it's only giving me a 96mb option

Rob van der Does
07-11-13, 11:43
What image build are you on?

bartjunited
07-11-13, 12:21
Build version 3.0.750
GUI 2013-10-10

Rob van der Does
07-11-13, 15:33
Then please flash your box with the actual build.

Burnham
07-11-13, 15:44
I would also try my idea of using a USB stick for your swap file instead of the external unpowered USB hard drive.

The real problem though is that the Solo is underpowered for the latest OpenViX images. The original 2.2, 2.3 & 2.4 ViX images were well matched to the Solo and worked well. The new OpenViX images introduced lots of new features that the new VU+ boxes, unfortunately, can not handle.

Also you are limited with the help from experts because most of them have moved onto the Solo2 & Duo2 and don't have the original Solo themselves to test and resolve these problems.

bartjunited
07-11-13, 15:58
Then please flash your box with the actual build.

sorry i dont know what you mean?

I thought i had recently flashed my box with a recent build?
I used a backup to keep my settings, can i still do that?

If i need to reflash with a build do i have to use the latest build as i have seen the numerous issues people are having with it at the moment? can i use anything from 770 onwards?

s1m0nw
07-11-13, 17:33
sorry i dont know what you mean?

I thought i had recently flashed my box with a recent build?
I used a backup to keep my settings, can i still do that?

If i need to reflash with a build do i have to use the latest build as i have seen the numerous issues people are having with it at the moment? can i use anything from 770 onwards?

Flash with the latest build of vix. This will introduce a whole range of new settings such as being able to use a larger swap file. You can still use a settings restore to save having to reinstall everything.

Cant say ive had any faults so far on my vu duo and gigablue hd 800 se.

Rob van der Does
07-11-13, 17:58
The new OpenViX images introduced lots of new features that the new VU+ boxes, unfortunately, can not handle.
Hmmm, not sure what makes you think so. You do as much testing as we do? :confused:

Also you are limited with the help from experts because most of them have moved onto the Solo2 & Duo2 and don't have the original Solo themselves to test and resolve these problems.
Again wisdom on your side; we're not aware of this :rolleyes:

bartjunited
07-11-13, 18:07
Flash with the latest build of vix. This will introduce a whole range of new settings such as being able to use a larger swap file. You can still use a settings restore to save having to reinstall everything.

Cant say ive had any faults so far on my vu duo and gigablue hd 800 se.

I have been reading that people are having issues with the latest build due to video issues. is this not the case
I don't know what new video features the latest build is bringing

s1m0nw
07-11-13, 18:16
I have been reading that people are having issues with the latest build due to video issues. is this not the case
I don't know what new video features the latest build is bringing

You don need to use vid settings can switch them off. Truth be told the picture on my tv is alot better with it switched on and set up.

Rob van der Does
07-11-13, 19:16
You don need to use vid settings can switch them off.
You can't 'switch off' video settings.
You need to make video settings i.a.w. your TV and personal taste.

bartjunited
08-11-13, 10:11
I managed to update to a fresh build 760 last night
the image manager installation didnt work for me so i flashed using a USB stick

as you all suggested i was then able to create a 256mb swap file on the usb stick, set up cross epg to point to the usb stick and also tried to install picons.
the picons have not worked for me and im not sure if i chose the correct set. I chose set 26.2 east. after installing them to the usb stick i havent seen any picons in the bouquet listings.

I tried to take a backup of my settings after the flash and everything was up but it defaults to the usb stick and not my storage drive. can i change that or should i leave it as it as im using an 8gig usb stick?

now that i have successfully flashed to 760 should i be able to do an online update to the latest build?

I have not made any changes to the AV settings and set to 50hz, do i need to do anything else?

thanks for all your help

Rob van der Does
08-11-13, 11:03
I managed to update to a fresh build 760 last night
the image manager installation didnt work for me so i flashed using a USB stick

as you all suggested i was then able to create a 256mb swap file on the usb stick, set up cross epg to point to the usb stick and also tried to install picons.
the picons have not worked for me and im not sure if i chose the correct set. I chose set 26.2 east. after installing them to the usb stick i havent seen any picons in the bouquet listings.

I tried to take a backup of my settings after the flash and everything was up but it defaults to the usb stick and not my storage drive. can i change that or should i leave it as it as im using an 8gig usb stick?

now that i have successfully flashed to 760 should i be able to do an online update to the latest build?

I have not made any changes to the AV settings and set to 50hz, do i need to do anything else?

thanks for all your help
Wow, a lot of questions ....

1- Why not flashed 778 as that's the last available image. A pity, but you can now online update.
2- You installed 26.2E picons so I presume you're watching 26.2E services?
IMHO the best avialble picons are Ocram's SHD transparent black no-padding.
During install you can point to the USB-stick (provided it's in Ext4) or to flash. Don't use an HDD.
3- You have not made changes to AV-settings? But you MUST MAKE AV-settings after flashing 760
4- From now on you can flash via the imagemanager.

All questions covered?

bartjunited
08-11-13, 11:47
Wow, a lot of questions ....

1- Why not flashed 778 as that's the last available image. A pity, but you can now online update.
2- You installed 26.2E picons so I presume you're watching 26.2E services?
IMHO the best avialble picons are Ocram's SHD transparent black no-padding.
During install you can point to the USB-stick (provided it's in Ext4) or to flash. Don't use an HDD.
3- You have not made changes to AV-settings? But you MUST MAKE AV-settings after flashing 760
4- From now on you can flash via the imagemanager.

All questions covered?

thanks and sorry for the questions

dunno why i didnt flash to latest image
im watching 28.2 services but didnt see anything for 28.2
the picons you mentioned can they be used for the 28.2 service?
yes i have AV settings now

cheers bart

bartjunited
08-11-13, 13:13
thanks and sorry for the questions

dunno why i didnt flash to latest image
im watching 28.2 services but didnt see anything for 28.2
the picons you mentioned can they be used for the 28.2 service?
yes i have AV settings now

cheers bart

sorry more Q's
should i mount my USB's as HDD now?
the timeshift and record settings are defaulting to media/hdd even though i have mounted my external hard drive as media/usb and the usb stick for epg to media/usb2

sorry

Rob van der Does
08-11-13, 14:00
You can make your own location-settings for TS and recordings.

bartjunited
08-11-13, 15:34
You can make your own location-settings for TS and recordings.

Thanks had a more of a play and managed to change the locations back to what i needed.

You mentioned in your previous messages about uninstalling picons and reinstalling them.
how do i uninstall?

I chose the picon set you mentioned above but i dont see any changes? Is this because I need to uninstall any previous picon sets and do i need to do an enigma restart once installed?

bartjunited
08-11-13, 17:14
managed to remove them and installed new set
however they appear on the channel itself but not the bouquet is that normal

bartjunited
08-11-13, 19:03
sorted it out
under customise channel selection there is an option of show picons in service list which you need to set to yes and then picons appear in the bouquet list