PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Ultimo] Static IP Address Problem

micscave
12-10-13, 16:06
I've had a search but can't find anyone else with this problem. When I set up a static ip address on my Ultimo, all is well until I have to reboot. Once rebooted, it looses the primary DNS. It's been doing this for a while. It's getting to be a pain in the arse to keep having to set it back to DHCP & then resetting the static ip address.

I don't have the same problem with my Duo, once set it can be rebooted and it will keep the primary DNS.

Does anyone know why the Ultimo is giving me problems?

micscave

Larry-G
12-10-13, 16:17
No idea whats going on and i know this does not help you but on all my receivers i use googles DNS servers and all of then have a static IP set. none have issues when rebooted etc.

micscave
12-10-13, 16:23
Yeah it's a strange one, like I say, my Duo is rock solid. I'm sure it used to work okay when I got it in January.

Anyone else had this problem?

judge
12-10-13, 17:53
what build number are you using on the ultimo?

micscave
12-10-13, 21:04
Hi judge
750, but it's been like this for months on all previous builds for as long as I can remember.

judge
12-10-13, 21:11
How have you been updating? online or USB & restoring a backup?
If either of the above, it might be worth doing a fresh flash with no restore.

abu baniaz
12-10-13, 21:23
I prefer to reserve IP address on router and leave devices on DHCP. That way router willl always give them the same address.

micscave
12-10-13, 23:43
How have you been updating? online or USB & restoring a backup?
If either of the above, it might be worth doing a fresh flash with no restore.

Hey Judge
I've been doing both, online for a while & then a fresh install with no backups.

judge
12-10-13, 23:51
I had this issue & looking back at closed bug reports, it had been fixed by build 739.
Have you done a fresh flash with no restore since that build?

micscave
13-10-13, 00:01
I prefer to reserve IP address on router and leave devices on DHCP. That way router willl always give them the same address.

Hey abu baniaz
I have this set up too & again, it will be okay for a while & then randomly issue the Ultimo with a different address.

Thinking about it, it all went wrong when I started using the Virgin Super Hub. At first when I was using it in modem/router mode all was well in DHCP, everything kept its assigned ip but the Wi-Fi range was bloody awful so I started using it in modem only mode and this is where it started playing up.

One thing I haven't tried due to using it with my Duo with the "Remote Stream Convert" plugin is to try a different ip address.

I just think it odd though that it wont keep the primary DNS once rebooted but the Duo does. Maybe it is down to the ip address I'm trying to use, I'll have a play around.

judge
13-10-13, 00:05
The issue I had was custom DNS being deleted on a full reboot before build 739. On an E2 restart, custom DNS were fine.
Just checked a fresh flash of build 750 with no restores here & all still working fine on full & E2 reboot.

micscave
13-10-13, 00:30
I had this issue & looking back at closed bug reports, it had been fixed by build 739.
Have you done a fresh flash with no restore since that build?

Good point and maybe not since build 739, I'll give this a go. I've just tried an E2 reboot and it still worked once rebooted.
I also tried changing the ip address to a different one and this didn't work.

I'll do a fresh flash maybe tomorrow and see if that works.

Are you saying this was an issue with the Ultimo up until build 739?

abu baniaz
13-10-13, 00:42
I have not used the DNS settings other than deafult on the receivers. As far as I am aware, Virgin don't let you use any other DNS settings other than their own ones: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

If you are reserving IP addresses on the router and they are not staying as reserved, then the issue will be on the router in my opinion.

judge
13-10-13, 00:46
Are you saying this was an issue with the Ultimo up until build 739?
No, just saying I had the same issue, reported it on build 717 & had been fixed by build 739, could have been fixed earlier but that was the build I reported it fixed on.

micscave
13-10-13, 00:48
I have not used the DNS settings other than deafult on the receivers. As far as I am aware, Virgin don't let you use any other DNS settings other than their own ones: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

If you are reserving IP addresses on the router and they are not staying as reserved, then the issue will be on the router in my opinion.

This might be the case as I've never updated the firmware on the router, maybe I should look at this too.

micscave
13-10-13, 00:50
No, just saying I had the same issue, reported it on build 717 & had been fixed by build 739, could have been fixed earlier but that was the build I reported it fixed on.

Okay I'll look at a reflash tomorrow as I can't remember which build I did it on last.