PDA

View Full Version : Probably a hardware issue but...

jax
12-10-13, 14:16
I have a problem which prevents me from using my TM Twin which is probably a hardware issue but thought I'd see if any of you here had experienced the same. My TM recently started switching completely off (always overnight) from standby mode. It wasn't a big problem as all I needed to do was switch it back on from the front button, but the last time it happened it would not come on at all and I have been getting the message (on the display)..."starting" followed by a zero moving backward & forward. I've tried all the obvious stuff like switching on/off from the rear rocker switch, disconnecting from the power supply & leaving the TM off overnight, but nothing works. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this condition is that I recently upgraded the software via the settings facility for performing this function. I've emailed Technomate twice without reply and am going to phone them but thought I'd put it on here first to see if anyone is familiar with this problem Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Larry-G
12-10-13, 14:27
What exact image build where you on previously ? and how did you update ?.

abu baniaz
12-10-13, 14:33
The update software would have not caused an issue.
I suspect that the sudden power loss has somehow corrupted the memory. Best to ring them up. The power issue has caused the problem.

It may be possible to flash the bootloader again using an rs232 cable (not always possible) but a wasted exercise if power keeps cutting out.

jax
12-10-13, 19:13
What exact image build where you on previously ? and how did you update ?.

The image build I was on was the one that I keep on a USB flash drive which I downloaded from here, but the most recent update was from the menu>setup>software update on the TM itself. I don't really think that was the problem though.

jax
12-10-13, 19:15
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll get onto them on Monday . Thanks for advice.

judge
12-10-13, 19:18
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll get onto them on Monday . Thanks for advice.

I'd try a fresh flash, build 750 available on http://openvix.co.uk & don't restore anything first.

jax
13-10-13, 12:35
Unable to flash as I can't start the thing up in the first place, but if I can get it started that's what I intend to do.

abu baniaz
13-10-13, 12:48
If you have a HDD, I recommend you disconnect it. Check the Power supply for any bulging capacitors.

mabozza
14-10-13, 23:38
Hi, I recently had to send a TM 2T back for the very same reason, it had a new motherboard fitted & all seemed to be working as normal then the receiver started scrolling up through the channel list by itself when I pressed the up arrow to get the list up, it wouldn't stop doing this even when the remote wasn't in the room, although pressing exit on the front panel seemed to fix the problem but only temporarily because it did exactly the same thing when I pressed the up arrow button but this time pressing the exit on the front panel didn't solve it so I had no option other than switching it off at the rear switch, after switching it on again I got the starting _0_0_ message but nothing happened. I had the most recent 4D image on the receiver. It's very odd that after a new motherboard was fitted the same thing happened again, although the first time it happened it was flashed with VIX image! Am going to try to reflash later using brand new kingston 8gb usb & if that fails was thinking about the RS 232 method. Let's hope this isn't a new issue with the drivers!!

jax
15-10-13, 00:24
So I'm not alone with this problem. I managed to get it started yesterday, but then it switched itself off from standby overnight and has gone back into "starting -o-" mode. If I can manage to get it started one more time I think I'll do a factory reset and start from scratch again, but this time without any of the plug ins etc. Keep it nice and lean without any of the frills. I hardly use it anyway now that I have Netflix and mostly use catch up services for TV I miss. If that doesn't work then it will have to go back. Thanks for your help everyone