PDA

View Full Version : tempreture difference between internal and external drive

robti
11-10-13, 21:38
Hi does anyone know how much cooler a twin would run if i took the 3.5" drive out of it and used it as an external

abu baniaz
11-10-13, 22:09
May I ask why?
Mine is on 52 with the internal HDD and fan at 1340 rpm.

Larry-G
11-10-13, 22:30
I really would not worry about the temperature providing you have a good airflow around the unit and you have the fan set from 1/3 to 1/2. its perfectly safe to see temperatures in the high 40's to low 50's being reported.

judge
11-10-13, 23:35
I wouldn't worry about it either & would prefer an internal HDD, external HDD if used to full extent should also require another power supply.
TMTwin on here at the moment, recording 2 shows, watching another recorded earlier, PTS enabled all on internal 3.5 HDD & temp is currently at 46c.

It doesn't have any box under or over it so it's well ventilated.
When I have put other boxes over or under it, it has hit the 60s but still hasn't caused any issues since early beta testing before the ViX image was ever released for the box.

If it ever does get too hot, it will reboot itself, but since the ViX image has been available for the box, I don't think that has ever happened me once.

robti
12-10-13, 12:06
THanks for all the helpful replies, i have the twin in a built in av cabinet and have a receiver below it and had temps in the mid to high 50's and just wondered if it would have run cooler with the drive taken out, and as it was in a cabinet it wouldnt be seen.

Fan at the moment is running at roughly 2250 rpm with these temps, so i have the front cabinet door open when the twin is in use and the temps drop to mid to high 40's.

Guess i will need to look into a couple of fans to circulate the air in and out of the cabinet.

Thanks

Robert

Rob van der Does
12-10-13, 12:21
High 50's shouldn't be a problem. But a closed cabinet can of course be a problem, especially if the amplifier is also in there.