PDA

View Full Version : help me choose a new receiver please

Tim_UK
11-10-13, 05:49
I currently have a technomate tm-500 (linux enigma 1) receiver linked up to a motorised dish and wired ethernet. It's used for arabic channels by my wife and I use it for sports - in particular a lot of channel flicking on a saturday afternoon between horses and the footy etc !

It's served me well but is about due for a replacement - it is sluggish when swapping channels etc.

I was looking at the sponsors VU+ Solo for £175 as this is the right sort of money.

Things I would like:

hdmi and scart or video out - that can be used at same time - I send the signals upstairs, old technomate had a rf output so will either get a modulator or run some phono cables.

well supported brand - I like tinkering etc so want to be able to have a choice of images.

streamable to an ipad - I think this is a general enigma 2 feature - I know it doesn't work on my existing technomate - but do you need a decent receiver to get it to work well ?

We have a nice freeview recorder and use downloaded films for most watching so it wouldn't need exceptional quality or full PVR, might just get a flash drive for anything wanting recording.

Sicilian
11-10-13, 05:52
Another to consider is the Octagon SF-8 HD, higher spec than the VU+ Solo http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Octagon-Linux-HD-Receivers/Octagon-SF8-HD-XP1000

Larry-G
11-10-13, 08:55
The solo is certainly well supported and i dont think you will be disappointed by owning one, that said it is a little slow and certainly shows signs of it's age.

as sicilian points out there are a number of cheaper, higher spec enigma2 receivers you could consider that would do every thing you wanted, such as the TM-Nano-OE, the XP1000 / Octagon SF8 HD, Gigablue and more.