PDA

View Full Version : Weird set up with magic eye

ontoplums
10-10-13, 10:39
Hey guys,

I'm getting my old man a Vu+ Duo and setting it up for him . I thought it was going to be pretty straightforward but no, he has to make things complicated :rolleyes:

He's having his TV mounted on the wall in living room with cables running through the wall into a cupboard under the stairs where the Vu+ box is also going to live. He was told that he can just use a magic eye for controlling the remote but I'm not sure it's as straightforward as that. We can obviously run an HDMI cable through the wall to take care of the picture but I'm unsure how these magic eyes work. Will it plug directly into the Vu+ box and work? Or do we need an RF modulator?

Any help appreciated.

Nitemare
10-10-13, 10:42
http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-ir-distribution-extender-amp-kit-(std-rcvr)-/IRBKITS.html

I use this system to operate my system from a cupboard similar to your Fathers set-up .... VERY impressed and easily expanded ...

Nitemare :)

ontoplums
10-10-13, 10:47
Thanks. So I take it the Magic Eye he has is useless for this box then?

duoduo
10-10-13, 12:30
I believe it is if its the one used for Sky

pac2000
10-10-13, 13:23
The Sky Magic Eye Uses The RF Out To Send The IR Signal Back To The Box... I Have Heard Of Boxes Being Able To Take Advantage, But They Would Need At Least An RF Out, Which The Duo Does Not Have!!!

Burnham
10-10-13, 14:12
You could use the cheaper omnilink, which is the same system as the Ѕky system but uses a separate power supply instead of the 9v output from the Ѕkybox.

You would need to run a coaxial cable from the magic eye to where the VU+ box is located - the coaxial cable does not need to be connected to the VU+ box in any way. In the old days this coaxial cable would also carry the TV signal from the source to your TV. But with your proposed setup the coaxial cable would be used to carry just the IR commands from the remote control.

There are wireless systems that do the same job also.

ontoplums
10-10-13, 14:19
You could use the cheaper omnilink, which is the same system as the Ѕky system but uses a separate power supply instead of the 9v output from the Ѕkybox.

You would need to run a coaxial cable from the magic eye to where the VU+ box is located - the coaxial cable does not need to be connected to the VU+ box in any way. In the old days this coaxial cable would also carry the TV signal from the source to your TV. But with your proposed setup the coaxial cable would be used to carry just the IR commands from the remote control.

There are wireless systems that do the same job also.

Where will the coaxial be connected then if it's not connected to the box?

Burnham
10-10-13, 14:30
All it is does is transfer the Remote Control IR signals.

① - Near the TV you have a magic eye transmitter (omnilink/Ѕky magic eye transmitter are identical).

② - You run a coaxial cable from the magic eye transmitter to where the VU+ box is located

③ - You connect the coaxial cable to the omnilink receiver unit. That unit is powered by a 12v PSU that is plugged into the mains.

④ - You connect an omnilink transmitter eye (it's a tiny unit, with a tiny cable) to the omnilink receiver unit. The other end of the omnilink transmitter eye is placed over the front of the VU+ box facing the I/R receiver