PDA

View Full Version : CrossEPG question

IAmATeaf
05-10-13, 18:49
Over the course of time the crossepg database files just seem to get bigger and bigger. I know in this day and age where storage is cheap it doesn't really matter but I'm wondering why? I understand that it downloads 7 days worth but does the fact that the file just gets bigger and bigger mean that it never ever tidies up and remove redundant entries.

EDIT: I didn't know where to post this and I'm using ViX on a Duo thought here but if it's the wrong section the sorry.

pooface
05-10-13, 19:31
Moved this to the crossepg section ;)

When you say it's getting bigger, how big are we talking? I've just checked my folder, and I see the biggest file is the desciptors file. On my box it's 120mb. Since my crossepg folder was deleted about 3-4 weeks ago, and I download about 6-7 providers, it's not that huge.

Just gonna delete the folder again, and see how big after a fresh reload (I usually auto reload at 5:45am every day)...

pooface
05-10-13, 19:53
OK, just done a quick test...

Just before deleting the crossepg, I did a check of my database. This is what I had:

I then telnet'd in to the box, and deleted my crossepg and epg data, by issuing the following commands:

init 4
rm -r /media/hdd/crossepg
rm /media/hdd/epg.dat
init 3

I then went back in to crossepg. This is the list of providers I download:

After running the download now, this is my info about the crossepg:

So yes, you're right, it does appear to grow in size. My guess i that it's either a bug in the crossepg routine not clearing out old data, or it's by design, and it's the way the software works out when the database was created... Only andy/skaman would be able to answer this one I think... I will flag it as a possible bug, and will see what andy says.

pac2000
05-10-13, 21:55
I Had A Problem The Other Day With CrossEPG... When It Downloaded It Appeared To Stall And Came Up With The Error "Service Unavailable Check Tuner Configuration"... This Started Happening After I Updated To The Latest Vix... I Googled It And It Was Saying That The Satellite.xml File Was Corrupt... Also I Couldn't Update The Rytec Providers... I Knew It Wasn't The .xml File So I Checked The CrossEPG Folder On My Harddrive... The Descriptor File Was 47 Mb... I Removed The EPG.dat File On The Root And The CrossEPG Folder... Then Updated Providers, Which Then Worked And Then Downloaded The EPG Again, Which Also Worked Perfectly... The Result Was Aliases 1K, Descriptors 4,020K, Headers 4,532K, Indexes 464K, And The Root EPG.dat Is 9,325K

I've Googled The Problem And There's A Person On Satpimps Who Had A Similar Problem Where The Descriptors Was Over 100 Mb... And There's Another On Vuplus-Community, And They Just Accept It As Known Problem...

When CrossEPG Is Updated, Could It Not Delete The Previous Data Before Hand, As I Think It Would Resolve A Few Problems... I Know It's Not Really A Fix...

Could I Not Just Add Your Script @pooface To A CronTimer To Run Once Every Week???

pooface
06-10-13, 15:30
Just had confirmation from Andy that it happens by design... The easiest thing to do will be to clear the data every month or so...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scoby
07-10-13, 12:01
Hi can u tell me how to download cross epg to external hard drive instead of internal memory as it is full and keeps crashing

IAmATeaf
07-10-13, 12:45
Just had confirmation from Andy that it happens by design... The easiest thing to do will be to clear the data every month or so...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it's by design, is there a specific reason why? Does this also mean that we shouldn't be deleting the crossepg folder from time to time?

Larry-G
07-10-13, 13:10
If it's by design, is there a specific reason why?

Thats something you would need to ask of the plugins author as its the same on all images.

Does this also mean that we shouldn't be deleting the crossepg folder from time to time?

quite the opposite, good housekeeping is something more users should be doing and more regularly.