PDA

View Full Version : Want to Switch off VFD Display

im2020
02-10-13, 22:49
I'm ploughing through lots of posts on skins for modifying vfd display.

What I want to do is simply turn off the vfd display on my duo2 (everything I want is displayed on the lcd). I'm assuming I would do this by creating a skin with Position 0,0 and Size 0,0 but I still can't find an existing file on my Duo2 or a downloadable template to work on.

Can anyone help?

Rob van der Does
03-10-13, 04:38
You can add any VFD skins to the folder /usr/share/enigma2/display .
Once installed correctly you can choose your skin via Display --> Skin setup.

But I think the most simple way to do what you want is to set Standby Brightness to zero.

im2020
03-10-13, 12:41
Thanks Rob. Understood. What I really wanted to do, though, was turn off the VFD while watching TV normally. After a bit more ploughing through all the great posts on the site I've achieved this by setting InfoBarSummary size to 0,0 in skin_display.xml. Needless to say I'm monitoring to check that I haven't disturbed anything else.

Rob van der Does
03-10-13, 12:43
Then setting display brightness (normal) set to zero would surely have done the trick, without the risk of interfering at all :confused:

im2020
03-10-13, 12:53
It would indeed but, sorry, I don't think I framed my original question properly. I find the VFD is useful when changing settings, recording, booting etc. It's just when I've settled down to watch something that I prefer to have it switched off. Does that make sense?

Rob van der Does
03-10-13, 13:12
Well, at least I now understand it. But I fail to see what harm info on the VFD could do. But of course: that's up to you.
I hope you created a separate skin for it, and selected it via the display skin setup. If you modded the default skin, you'll have to redo that after every image update.

im2020
03-10-13, 13:21
Good points. Of course not being harmed by VFD info - just a question of aesthetics and I appreciate mine might be a bit quirky. Thanks for the reminder about creating the separate skin.

im2020
03-10-13, 16:22
Oh dear - I'm stumped again. I can't figure out the relationship between skin_display.xml (in /usr/share/enigma2/display) and the skin.xml file in each of my separate Skins (Vix-Night-HD etc). There seems to be only one skin_display.xml which is used by each and every different named Skins.

The change I mentioned above (infobarsummary size to 0,0) was made to skin_display.xml. It does what I want but it will be overwritten the next time I update my image.

I can't quite see how to implement the change in a discretely named Skin (I assume in that Skin's skin.xml file).

Any thoughts?

Rob van der Does
03-10-13, 16:58
There is no relation between the two.
In /usr/share/enigma2/Vix-Night-HD etc you find the skins for OSD (the ones you see on the telly).
In /usr/share/enigma2/display you see the skins for the VFD

Create the folder /usr/share/enigma2/display/your_name and create the file skin_display.xml in there. This can be the modified copy you have already created. Save the file and got to Menu --> System --> Display --> Skin setup and choose your_name. Restart E2; done & dusted!

im2020
03-10-13, 17:19
Bingo! Thanks Rob. Onwards and upwards as I no doubt try to tweak and tune further. I only hope that as my knowledge builds I will be able to help a few newbies on their journeys.