PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo, ABM and CrossEPG Issues

Andy_Hazza
27-09-13, 18:10
Hi Peeps,

I have a little problem with my brothers VU+ Solo satellite box, an original one bought from WoS. It is currently on build 743.
To make things easier I installed ABM 28.2E and all is good but when it comes to CrossEPG automatically updating every
morning it gets stuck and the box has the green light on and locks up. We have to unplug and re plug box in again for it
to respond then manually update the epg and all is ok till the following morning. Really frustrating.
When I had a version of STG Flip Flops channel list on which I maintained to keep up to date the crossEPG would update
no problems and the red light would be on the box and would turn on n off without issues, which points to ABM being the problem?
I have tried also Liazers ABM but the same problem happens with cross EPG.
I have reflashed the box and put fresh verions of ABM on and still the problem persists. Go back to installing STG Flip Flops lists
and all is ok. I'm confused.
I want to do away with a manual channel list to keep things simple for my brother and make life easier for myself. Do you
have any suggestions as to what might be causing this issue?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andy.H

duoduo
27-09-13, 18:50
Which one updates first each day crossepg or autobouqet? Try doing the update other way round and half an hour apart

Andy_Hazza
27-09-13, 20:37
Hi, thanks for your reply. I,ve tried swapping around and still no joy. I have them half hr apart updating; 4am n 4:30am. Someone has mentioned about setting up a swap file. What does this do?

Kind Regards,

Andy.H

abu baniaz
27-09-13, 22:15
Crossepg is a memory intensive process going by posts by one of the senior guys. The solo does not have much memory and this is why it crashes. A swap file is a work around for this.

pooface
28-09-13, 07:01
You could try setting abm to run at 4am, do a power timer to restart the box at 4.30am, then crossepg at 5am... finishing with a power timer to put box in standby...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Larry-G
28-09-13, 11:03
or as suggested in the PM try enabling a swapfile.

pooface
28-09-13, 11:57
or as suggested in the PM try enabling a swapfile.

I had a swap file... Still didn't work. I've found it definitely works best when the box is not in standby, and from a fresh boot! This is only for open tv 28.2. If I try more, the box has a total crap out! It just can't handle it...

Andy_Hazza
28-09-13, 12:03
Thanks guys. Gonna try both ideas. I will report back and let you know the results. Really appreciate this.

Thanks

Larry-G
28-09-13, 12:06
I had a swap file... Still didn't work. I've found it definitely works best when the box is not in standby, and from a fresh boot! This is only for open tv 28.2. If I try more, the box has a total crap out! It just can't handle it...

Thanks for the clarification mate, never had the solo my self so not realy sure what it's capabilities are or are not as the case may be.

Rob van der Does
28-09-13, 14:30
I had a swap file... Still didn't work. I've found it definitely works best when the box is not in standby, and from a fresh boot!
That means that the swap file is too small. After a boot there is always some extra free memory, which seems to do the trick.
What if you try 256MB swap or more?

Andy_Hazza
28-09-13, 17:45
Hi All, an update on my vu solo problem. I tried to setup a swap file to no avail. Tried 3 usb's and an external usb hdd which my brother uses to record. I've set up the power timers to wake the box up, update the ABM AND EPG and to put back into standby mode, but I'm not confident about this as I truly think its the memory issue. Can anyone guide me thru how to setup a swap file?
The 3 usb sticks I tried are of various sizes, 256mb, 4gb and 32gb. I've reformatted to various formats, fat, fat32 and ntfs. I know it needs to be in ex3/ex4 format but when I mount the usb's and change file format to ex4 no joy as no create option appears in swap manager.
When in fat, fat32 format etc, the create option show in the swap manager but when I try to create says incorrect format (fat, fat32 etc)
I have a Duo2, could I put a usb in my box and setup the swap file and then put the usb into my brothers vu solo? Or is ther a windows pc program that can format the usb memory stick to the correct file format and when plugged into the vu solo will recognise and give me the create swap file option?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy_Hazza
28-09-13, 20:14
I would also like to say I did a complete fresh install of ViX build 744.

Andy_Hazza
29-09-13, 12:44
Hi Guys,

An update on the vu+ solo problem I was experiencing.....
The power timer didn't work as I feared as I strongly felt it was a memory issue. So what I did after failing to create a swap file via the menu on build 744 (possible bug or something, dunno).
So after some searing thru the forums I came across pooface's telnet guide to creating a swap file and plucked up the courage to do this, so downloaded and installed PuTTY and followed
pooface's step by step instructions and BINGO, I successfully created a 256mb swap file. Now the crossEPG updater and ABM updater works flawlessly. I cannot thank you guys enough, I
really appreciate all your comments and ideas and thank all you guys for your help. This is truly a brilliant forum. Thank you guys.

:D

Larry-G
29-09-13, 13:13
Hi Guys,

An update on the vu+ solo problem I was experiencing.....
The power timer didn't work as I feared as I strongly felt it was a memory issue. So what I did after failing to create a swap file via the menu on build 744 (possible bug or something, dunno).
So after some searing thru the forums I came across pooface's telnet guide to creating a swap file and plucked up the courage to do this, so downloaded and installed PuTTY and followed
pooface's step by step instructions and BINGO, I successfully created a 256mb swap file. Now the crossEPG updater and ABM updater works flawlessly. I cannot thank you guys enough, I
really appreciate all your comments and ideas and thank all you guys for your help. This is truly a brilliant forum. Thank you guys.

:D

I'm very chuffed you got there in the end, and hope you continue to enjoy your new hobby with all it's trials and tribulations.

sanderson82
16-10-13, 22:16
I've been having the same issue on my VU+ Solo for ages! Although as I'm a smoker I got into the habit of powering the box off and on, running the crossepg downloader and going for a fag! lol

Swap file it is then!! :-)

Cheers