PDA

View Full Version : Recording From Deep Standby (Shutdown)

Spoof
26-09-13, 21:06
Hi.
Being a VU+ Duo user, I am used to recording from deep-stand-by. After the timer is done, the box returns to deep stand-by.

I am playing with a 2T and after a timer it does not return to deep-stand-by (or shutdown). Is this a correct feature or intended discrepancy (both boxes run latest VIX images)?

TIA
Spooo

Spoof
28-09-13, 14:01
I have now done further testing, and I am unable to get the box to come out of deep standy (shutdown) to record a timer. It shows as "done" in the timer list but there is no file. I believe this is one of things the new driver(s) was supposed to fix- clearly this is not the case. I also crashed the box quite easily by fiddling with the menus etc.
I am now trying the 4D image - this does record from deep stand-by but does not automatically return to that state (has to be set in the timer). Otherwise, this image appears pretty stable and reliable so far.
I am interested to hear how everyone else is getting on with the "fixed" images.

Spoooo

Larry-G
28-09-13, 15:06
There is nothing "fixed" about the images as they were never broken to begin with. the issues were and always have been with the drivers and kernel as provided by Technomate of which we have no control over. 4D is TM's unofficial factory image hence why things tend to work out of the box.

I'll test some recordings on my 2T tonight after work and post back as it's not my primary box used for recordings etc, but i know the last time i tried they did work just fine. you also mention crashing the box ?, where are the corresponding logs so that we might try and find out why those crashes took place and where possible issue bug fixes for them.

Spoof
29-09-13, 07:56
A further update (now running latest 4D):The box failed to record two timers last night from deep-stand-by! So it looks like this problem is not image specific, as first thought.

Spooo

robti
29-09-13, 08:37
Its the same on the Twin wont wake up from deep stand by for anything (epg updates, recordings) think it has something to do with how the front button works

Larry-G
29-09-13, 08:47
Its the same on the Twin wont wake up from deep stand by for anything (epg updates, recordings) think it has something to do with how the front button works

The TM-Twin does not have the required hardware to wake from standby for recordings, in fact the first batch could not even be placed into regular standby with the front power button until TM released a new front panel chip upgrade.

as far as i remember the TM-2T-OE used to wake from standby for recordings just fine but have not tested this for a while ( I set a recording last night and will check it when i get in after work ).

Spoof
29-09-13, 13:41
The TM-Twin does not have the required hardware to wake from standby for recordings, in fact the first batch could not even be placed into regular standby with the front power button until TM released a new front panel chip upgrade.

as far as i remember the TM-2T-OE used to wake from standby for recordings just fine but have not tested this for a while ( I set a recording last night and will check it when i get in after work ).

I have done further testing on recording from deep stand-by this morning - it worked fine, aside from not returning to deep stand-by afterwards. So this problem appears intermittent with no obvious reason why it works sometimes and doesn't at other times.

Spooo

Larry-G
29-09-13, 13:52
I cant say for sure but very likely drivers so as always, we need as many reports as possible from multiple users / images and debug logs to go along with them so that we can report to TM if necessary.

Larry-G
29-09-13, 18:48
Checked my 2T and it did wake from deepstandby fine to make the recording but did not return back to deepstandby afterwards, i have a feeling this may be hardware or driver related but cant be sure of that.

Spoof
30-09-13, 10:09
Checked my 2T and it did wake from deepstandby fine to make the recording but did not return back to deepstandby afterwards, i have a feeling this may be hardware or driver related but cant be sure of that.

I can confirm the "not returning to deep stand-by" but I don't find this a problem as the timer can specifically be set to over-ride this.
My gripe is that the box is unreliable when trying to record timers from deep-stand-by - sometimes working, sometimes not - I am now leaving the box on (ie. in normal stand-by) when waiting for timers and setting them to put the box to sleep afterwards.

spooo