PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade decisions. Solo 2 v Duo 2.

RobHardley
23-09-13, 14:02
Hi guys and gals.

I'm after some advice/opinions on Vu+ boxes.

I currently have a beloved Humax HDR T2 and a Skybox F5.
The Skybox was my tentative step into the satellite world, but its functionality is reflective of its low price, very basic/minimal.

So I'm looking to upgrade, I'd like the Humax functionality, nice epg, slick recording (including series link), streaming to PC/Tablet.

My current choice would be the Solo 2, but I'd also been looking at TM 2T from Technomate, but the big decsion is.. is the Duo 2 worth the extra money?

Any opinion gratefully received.

Rob.

Rob van der Does
23-09-13, 14:45
IMHO not.

Only if you would appreciate the slightly more extensive transcoding options or the tuner flexibility of the DUO2 you would be wanting to pay the extra money.
Both boxes are equally fast and good working.
The LCD of the DUO2 is IMHO a not very useful gimmick.

RobHardley
23-09-13, 15:22
Thanks, I can't see myself requiring the flexibilty to simultaneously record 16 things at once.

I think the Solo2 certainly seems to meet my requirements.

BubbleBalls
23-09-13, 15:49
I don't have a Duo 2 ( I have the older Duo (I am not comparing them)) but a mate has the T2. The T2 has gotten its act together in the last month or so. Before that, it was plagued by driver issues. Issues are sorted now but I will steer clear of TM because of it (just took them too long to sort). My Duo is rock solid and does exactly what it should. The Duo is slow (processor etc) compared to new boxes. I have a Gigablue Quad which is lightening fast and also rock solid - a fantastic box.

The Quad is very reasonably priced now, fast, stable, compact and quiet. No transcoding. You did not mention Quad but I thought I'd throw it in there. Quad can also be used with additional tuners if you need them in future.

Of the two you mentioned I'd personally choose Vu+ above TM in a heart beat.

Tapatalker

AJT
23-09-13, 16:33
Hi guys and gals.

I'm after some advice/opinions on Vu+ boxes.

I currently have a beloved Humax HDR T2 and a Skybox F5.
The Skybox was my tentative step into the satellite world, but its functionality is reflective of its low price, very basic/minimal.

So I'm looking to upgrade, I'd like the Humax functionality, nice epg, slick recording (including series link), streaming to PC/Tablet.

My current choice would be the Solo 2, but I'd also been looking at TM 2T from Technomate, but the big decsion is.. is the Duo 2 worth the extra money?

Any opinion gratefully received.

Rob.

Vu+solo2 without a doubt.its a fantastic box and at its best running vix.