PDA

View Full Version : Ecm?

silverfox0786
20-10-10, 23:09
Not sure if i'm alowed to ask this, so sorry if it not and delete but i'm just curious what is ECM Time used for and why is it monitored [Just Curious thats all]

basilyoung
20-10-10, 23:18
forgotten the full technical name
but ecm counts if you can read them, tell you the amount you have requested and recieved ( your card needs them to achive a piccy ) one reason for dropped ecm,s is a poor sat signal for example

baz

silverfox0786
20-10-10, 23:32
Thanks bas your answer has opened up more questions for me as well as answering a few

ok i just did a google found no difinitive answer but got the gist of it

basically a ping type thing how fast they talk to each other

Stanman
21-10-10, 18:47
Yes, basically how quickly the card responds to a request to clear the channel, the slower it is the more glitches / freezes you get.

Maxwell
29-10-10, 14:14
Bit more to it than that guys - ECM stands for Electronic CounterMeasure and it is a posed question sent from the broadcasters encryption system to the decryption algorithm contained within the card, failure by the card to give the correct answer within a predetermined time will result in loss of service until such time that the next ECM is sent and the correct answer given, also note that every ECM question sent is different and can be an instruction to the card to use different encryption keys amongst other things such as channel entitlement etc. It is at the broadcasters discretion as to how often these are sent and are usually quite often.

smaxy
29-10-10, 14:19
ECM = entitlement control message
h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_access