PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo external hdd power

artie
20-09-13, 11:46
Hi can anyone advise....I have a usb powered western digital hdd.I want to record from my vu solo but going through the threads it looks as if it is better to use a hdd with it's own power supply.Is it possible to power the hdd that I have somehow by an adaptor or something rather than going out and buying a new hdd with external power?Thanks for any help

artie
20-09-13, 22:02
Hi can anyone advise....I have a usb powered western digital hdd.I want to record from my vu solo but going through the threads it looks as if it is better to use a hdd with it's own power supply.Is it possible to power the hdd that I have somehow by an adaptor or something rather than going out and buying a new hdd with external power?Thanks for any help

Right ok obviously not....can anyone point me in the right direction to an external powered hdd thats compatiable with the vu+solo?Thanks

judge
20-09-13, 23:10
Have you tried the one you have? it's advised to use a powered drive but the one you have might work fine...

artie
20-09-13, 23:46
Nah havn't tried mate as all posts ive read pointed to using an external powered one,didn't want to mess it up coz it's brand new box and not sure what i'm doing....might give the one ive got a go as don't know what to replace it with.Cheers

judge
21-09-13, 00:03
worth a try & you won't know till you do...
the worst that will happen is that you have a few broken recordings, if so, then you can go about looking or a more suitable drive.

also, it might be worth opening the drive case to see if it can actually be fitted internally.

davewhitaker
21-09-13, 07:32
Try this

IB-290StUS-B Icy Box 2.5" Sata to USB / E-Sata Enclosure

I've just started using it for permanent time shift with a 80gb 2.5inch esata HDD set up as hdd2, to provent my internal 2tb HDD from dieing.
I've got it connected to the sata plug on the back of my uno with its owne power supply.

Rob van der Does
21-09-13, 08:10
.... to prevent my internal 2tb HDD from dieing......
Why would a disk not survive TS :confused:
HDD's are made to be used; it's starting and stopping that actually kills them in the end. My PVR have always TS enabled and never any problem observed. Not even after years of usage.

For me this falls in the same category as not using flash for picons, not using resources that are available and that have been paid for.

PS: Of course you're free to do as you like. But please don't try to scare people for using devices for the purpose they are meant for.

davewhitaker
21-09-13, 10:20
The storys about the permanent time shift reducing the life of HDD's is well know with sky customers and sky engineers.
Nothing to do with vix or any enigma box. It makes resonable sense that if a HDD is running constantly that it will not last as long as a HDD that only runs when you are watching a movie ect. Not to mention reducing internal temperatures of the enigma box and reducing the pull on the psu.
There for I think it's not unreasonable to sergest an idea that I have adopted in using a cheap external 80gb esata drive dedicated for ts.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
21-09-13, 11:34
Look at the specs of HDD's: you'll see a limited number of start-stop cycles being guaranteed.
And about temperature: no well designed box will become to warm.

So I don't think it's reasonable to believe that there are any advantages at all for using a secondary HDD for TS. On the contrary: extra cables and extra powerconsumption will be the result of using an external HDD.

But again: it's your box in your living, so you really must do what you like best.