PDA

View Full Version : Making an internal hard drive ready for instalation

cokebottles
17-09-13, 16:13
Hi Guys,

Have had a problem recently where box would freeze on 49% loading after a cold power on/off.

Re flashing fixed the problem - but on my first cold power on/off the same would happen. This was regardless of what version of the VIX image I used. I called TM and they said it sounds like a HDD problem to them. Ok, so I re flashed without my internal HDD (Seagate 1TB) connected and it seemed to be okay - but this is no real solution for me as I need my HDD.

So I have purchased a USB hard drive dock with the intention of removing my HDD from the box and seeing if I can back up some of my .TS recordings. I could connect the dock and HDD directly to my NAS which will read EXT3/4 and allow me to back up, that is not my main problem.

What I wanted to ask was is there any diagnostics/repair programs that I should be looking at running to see what could be the problem with the HDD? I have mac and windows. Also - I have other (not brand new) HDDs (WD Green and Seagate 1TBs) which I could also use. What is the best way to "prepare" a drive for installation in the box and use with VIX.

Thanks for your help guys - oh, and happy days re: epg recordings fix!!! Cant wait to get my box all set up and ready to go again!

Larry-G
18-09-13, 17:37
What is the best way to "prepare" a drive for installation in the box and use with VIX.

There's no "best way to prepare a drive". Just install it and initialize the drive through the image it self.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2