PDA

View Full Version : Juddering when recording

alfukham
17-09-13, 14:34
Anybody help with this problem.
I upgraded the the new vix software and now when a recording starts the station being watched judders and hicks till you go down/up a channel and back.

abu baniaz
17-09-13, 17:07
Which image number, latest stable release is 739. Did you upgrade through remote or did you USB flash?

Larry-G
17-09-13, 17:24
we need to know the exact image build you are using ( latest build is of no help due to the frequency of releases ).

Menu> Information> About> to find this.

alfukham
17-09-13, 20:24
It seems that I have old software not new thanks for the help I thought the software I down loads two days ago was the latest will see about the upgrade tomorrow . Thanks again for the replies..

alfukham
17-09-13, 20:27
This what I've got
Kernel 3.5.3versions 3.0
Build 338

Larry-G
17-09-13, 20:27
if you need any help flashing the receiver etc just let us know and we will see what we can do to help.

I have a series of tutorials for the Technomate OE range of receivers that will help in this area.

TheRealMike
20-09-13, 18:15
Are there any images that do not have image stuttering problems or is this just normal? The stock and latest VIX images are unwatchable. :confused:

judge
20-09-13, 18:21
The stock and latest VIX images are unwatchable. :confused:

Not sure what image builds you are talking about.
Currently using 742 here on a TMTwin & TM2T and have no problems with recordings.

Larry-G
20-09-13, 18:41
as judge says the current Build 742 with the latest kernel and drivers has no issues with recordings or juddering, I have this on 3 different TM-OE receivers and all are working great. ( Twin - 2T - Nano )

TheRealMike
20-09-13, 18:50
I am running 729 from the start of this month.

judge
20-09-13, 19:06
Make a settings back-up so & flash the image from http://openvix.co.uk

You can restore the settings in the First Install Wizard & all should be fine.

Larry-G
20-09-13, 19:17
I am running 729 from the start of this month.

Build 729 contains the old defective drivers, update to 740 and you will see the difference for your self.

TheRealMike
20-09-13, 19:41
Updated - I did a full reset and its pretty much as bad as before. SNR is 89% and BER is 0 so I don't think its a signal level problem. It stutters on live viewing, it does not appear to matter if it is recording or not. It starts off bad and improves over time. This is on BBC HD or SD from 28.8E.

Larry-G
20-09-13, 20:17
Updated - I did a full reset and its pretty much as bad as before. SNR is 89% and BER is 0 so I don't think its a signal level problem. It stutters on live viewing, it does not appear to matter if it is recording or not. It starts off bad and improves over time. This is on BBC HD or SD from 28.8E.

you need to do a reflash not a online update due to the kernel change.

TheRealMike
20-09-13, 21:08
I did a full reflash, rescan and everything - this image is certainly more stable. However, the remaining problem is limited to periodic glitching and is looking more like a tuner issue. I suspect either the LNB is faulty or in some way disagrees with this receiver. The same LNB/Dish was and still is fine when used with an earlier non-HD Technomate. Luckily I still have a Sky HD setup and its fine on that dish, so I am wondering if these new tuners are causing issues or just more sensitive to deviant LNBs. Its not just HD channels but also SD channels that work fine on the older RX but not on the TM-twin.

judge
20-09-13, 23:14
so what build are you using now?
& have you a local card in the box?

TheRealMike
21-09-13, 07:55
Build 742 VIX.

This has nothing to do with the juddering but I do not have a local card but wondering if it is worth getting one as I have noted not all free channels are available. I have just ordered a replacement LNB from Invacom in case my Irdeto one is faulty.

Mike

Larry-G
21-09-13, 08:00
Build 742 VIX.

This has nothing to do with the juddering but I do not have a local card but wondering if it is worth getting one as I have noted not all free channels are available. I have just ordered a replacement LNB from Invacom in case my Irdeto one is faulty.

Mike

some channels are FTV = Free To View, IE there free but you still need a valid card to view them. you can get a deactivated white sky card on ebay and use that to open the FTV channels providing it's not been totally switched off.

TheRealMike
21-09-13, 09:42
some channels are FTV = Free To View, IE there free but you still need a valid card to view them. you can get a deactivated white sky card on ebay and use that to open the FTV channels providing it's not been totally switched off.

That's very useful info. thanks. :)

To confirm, it was certainly the LNB. I had a very old sky digital single output LNB lying around from the pre Sky+ days. With the aid of a hacksaw and a file and some insulation tape, I modified it to fit on onto the dish in place of the C120 LNB and feedhorn. Its is not a match for the dish, a 1.2m Channel Master and the SNR is lower, but the glitching has gone. It does not explain why the original LNB works fine on an older receiver, but hopefully my replacement C120 LNB will work. All I need now is a Polar mount for it.

Anyway, back to topic. Anyone with a TM-Twin with glitching video on live TV might want to investigate their LNB to ensure it is compatible. Meanwhile I will put this C120 LNB on a spectrum analyser and measure its frequency accuracy and phase noise.

Larry-G
21-09-13, 09:50
That's very useful info. thanks. :)

To confirm, it was certainly the LNB. I had a very old sky digital single output LNB lying around from the pre Sky+ days. With the aid of a hacksaw and a file and some insulation tape, I modified it to fit on onto the dish in place of the C120 LNB and feedhorn. Its is not a match for the dish, a 1.2m Channel Master and the SNR is lower, but the glitching has gone. It does not explain why the original LNB works fine on an older receiver, but hopefully my replacement C120 LNB will work. All I need now is a Polar mount for it.

Anyway, back to topic. Anyone with a TM-Twin with glitching video on live TV might want to investigate their LNB to ensure it is compatible. Meanwhile I will put this C120 LNB on a spectrum analyser and measure its frequency accuracy and phase noise.

Many thanks for keeping us updated and i am happy that you managed to track down the route cause of your issues. sadly though this does once again show that users can be quick to blame the image rather than investigate further the cause of their issues but thats another discussion for another time.