PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Unable to create swap file (blanked out)

stevejd2001
13-09-13, 10:16
I have solo2 and a duo already with no problem creating swap file, however

just purchased another duo from wos firmware 3.0.734 and no matter what i do ...mount / unmount HDD drive, clean flash, - all the usual i can not get it to create swap file

attached is the screen dump -- nothing next to blue button , and location says warning...

any help would be appreciated guys28651

BubbleBalls
13-09-13, 10:47
HDD initialised?

Tapatalker

stevejd2001
13-09-13, 10:51
HDD initialised?

Tapatalker

Yes initailised ok mounted ok

mounted a usb as well to see if could put swap on that --still same issue

Larry-G
13-09-13, 10:54
Off topic I know but are you seriously running a swap file on a solo2 and if so why ???????.

The solo2 is more than fast enough to NEVER need a swap file, in fact using a swap file on the solo2 or any receiver that does not need it will decrease system performance.

As for your Duo is your HDD / usb stick formatted to ext3 / ext4, ie was it initialized via the receiver ?.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BubbleBalls
13-09-13, 11:00
I think Pooface gave a tut on manually adding a swap file - have a search. It's on the site here somewhere.

Tapatalker

stevejd2001
13-09-13, 11:00
Off topic I know but are you seriously running a swap file on a solo2 and if so why ???????.

The solo2 is more than fast enough to NEVER need a swap file, in fact using a swap file on the solo2 or any receiver that does not need it will decrease system performance.

As for your Duo is your HDD / usb stick formatted to ext3 / ext4, ie was it initialized via the receiver ?.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
you are quite right my friend....i just confirmed to myself the method of creating the swap file....it was already on my 1st duo and did not want to touch it.
drives was initialized by duo no problem

stevejd2001
13-09-13, 13:13
update
tried an early fresh flash as opposed to recent...version 600 tried.

swap file all working now and updated by online

thanks guys for helps anyway:wave:

Larry-G
13-09-13, 13:18
Thats a lot of updates from build 600 to build 735 to do online.

Rob van der Does
13-09-13, 13:56
Even worse: now some features will be missed. This really should have been a flash.

stevejd2001
13-09-13, 13:59

Tried earlier builds in the 700s yet still had same problem???
Went to slight extreme for 600 and all worked

was for my in law so wait until he complains lol

Larry-G
13-09-13, 14:04
well if it worked for you then great.

off topic but in my opinion people get way too hung up on swap files when in most cases they dont even need them. I have 8 boxes including Two duo's and never use swap files but then again i dont have the infamous memory leak problem and my boxes are not bogged down with a lot of plugins either.

Rob van der Does
13-09-13, 14:18
As far as I know (apart form some DUO's affected by a probable memory leak issue) a swap-file is only useful for some low spec boxes when using Cross. I can't think of any other reason to use swap.

stevejd2001
13-09-13, 14:28
As far as I know (apart form some DUO's affected by a probable memory leak issue) a swap-file is only useful for some low spec boxes when using Cross. I can't think of any other reason to use swap.
I have had issues on duo with **aminfo previously when using manual change method it used to crash. I put on swap file and it cured all the crashing.
Ran seamlessly since then but it was in the earlier builds circa 500/600. Obviously never noticed since then as been turned on.
All problems like this was cured with solo2 which is another cracker